Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Prelude

Paxon

Prelude: The Contract

young woman with a rifle on her backFilthy, parched, exhausted, Jana approached the ramshackle nomad bazaar with hope and trepidation. The journey had taken two days, about half of which was atop a mule, the other half on foot after abandoning the mule to a hive of screechers to which she’d wandered too close. It made a meal for them, and a distraction for her to get away. Thankfully. Her rifle had only sixteen rounds, all that was left from what her settlement could spare, and it was doubtful it would have been enough if the screechers had come after her. She shuttered, sighed, and continued approaching her objective. 

The bazaar was a collection of vehicles and small portable structures, nestled up close against one another and connected by tangles of ropes, tarps, wires, and tubes such that it seemed to have all grown together like some mutant junk beast. However, if presented with a significant and insurmountable threat, the whole thing could be pulled apart, wrapped up, and driven off to a new destination. 

A rumble in the distance served as a reminder of just one such danger. Lightning flashed somewhere far off over the hills, and a dark thunderhead swirled out on the edge of the horizon. Clouds and haze mostly obscured a form moving along with the clouds, the silhouette of something impossibly large. Not this way, to the fortune of all nearby. She couldn’t tell if it was thunder that echoed across the plain, or footsteps. 

A turret atop one of the vehicles that made up the bazaar swiveled her way, though the gun didn’t seem to aim directly at her. Jana gulped and continued walking. She spotted several other vehicles and mounts surrounding the bazaar. Visitors, it seemed, utilizing the place as the way-station, trade depot, fuel stop, sanctuary, and road house it was meant to be. Several motorbikes were parked next to a pair of horses, of all things. The animals were easily more valuable and expensive to maintain than the bikes. A jeep, a couple buggies, and some sort of utilitarian truck also surrounded the bazaar. One one side she spotted a pair of metal mounts, with armor and heraldry that marked the pickup trucks as clearly belonging to Knights of Ford. A squire attended them, polishing a long lance that hung off the side of one, next to a mean-looking machine gun. On the other side of the bazaar stood another vehicle, big and brutish. All armor atop massive treads, with a huge gun barrel protruding out of a turret on top. They called it a tank. A few distant figures were busy working near it. This was Jana’s true target, but she was hungry, thirsty, tired, and needed a brief respite. 

“Welcome, stranger,” a voice called out as Jana drew near. A figure leaned out from atop the turret on the guard post, which seemed to be a platform atop scaffolding sticking out of a small trailer, a mounted gun on top. The thin man with a thin beard that addressed her didn’t seem highly wary of her. Jana knew she didn’t cut a very threatening figure, and the heavy artillery up there was meant for raiding parties or monsters. The man himself had a hunting rifle propped against a shoulder. “You look like you could use a drink. The cantina is that way. We have supplies for trade, if you’ve anything worthwhile. Not much in the way of handouts here, and you best keep your piece well stowed.”

Jana nodded, “I could use that drink. And something to eat. I got some shinies for trade, and I’m looking for a safe haven, not a fight.”

“Things can get rowdy ‘round here with the characters we get, but anyone who breaks the rules ain’t welcome back.” He pointed to a posting attached to the scaffolding under him, with a few written rules accompanied by iconography for those that couldn’t read. Jana could. A little. 

image.jpeg.e781d32f465c96b21cbfb65c276b0e2d.jpegShe nodded to the guard, and walked into the bazaar. A drunk man, looking rather wretched and possibly a mutant, was slumped against the wheel well of one vehicle/structure. He barely looked up as Jana passed. She nearly jumped when an old woman hawked her wares in a raspy voice, and Jana took a glance at the table where small tools, trinkets, and accessories had been hewn from scrap metal. 

Moving on, the sound of carousing caught her attention, and the smell of cooking meat captured her nose and dragged her forward. The source of the meat was something many wastelanders had stopped being picky about generations ago, though the quality did vary depending on where one settled or traveled. Greenwood, where Jana hailed from, was actually prosperous when it came to food, and her stomach and palette were used to goats and pigs. But her hunger was such that when she saw the charcoal-scrawled menu outside the cantina advertising roachburgers, tacos ratos, and fried crow, she didn’t exactly turn up her nose. To their credit they also seemed to have bison steaks, but no doubt it would be too expensive for what Jana had to spare. 

She opened the door to a long steel tube on wheels. Adorned with decorations and signage and windows, it served as the cantina. The smell of cooking food was stronger inside, as were the heady fumes of distilled drinks and unwashed bodies. Electric lights lit the interior, and power was even spent on an ancient music device playing scratchy songs from before. 

She found the proprietor easily enough behind a bar setup, and had him bring her a skewer of the meat special from the grill, a liter of thrice-filtered rainwater, and a shot of some milky-clear, hard-edged liquor. Jana unrolled a wide strip of leather which bound up some of her small trading valuables to show the barman, and he nodded in acceptance at a quick glance. There was enough there they could make a trade, the specifics could be figured out after. She wolfed down the skewer of meat, slammed the shot, and chased it all with a sip of the chill water before refilling her water bottle with the rest. The clanking of metal caught her ear.

She turned, and a man was sauntering up to her. A broad-brimmed sat perched atop his head and a red-brown beard framed his face. The clanking was on account of the armor he wore. It wasn’t like some full medieval suit like in the story books, but it did seem like an uncomfortable amount of steel plates covering thighs, chest, shoulders, and arms. A sword dangled from one hip, and a pistol was holstered at the other. It was an easy connection to make with the trucks out front of the bazaar, and a crest on his breastplate verified: A Knight of Ford, in the metal-plated flesh.

“Afternoon ma’am,” he drawled as he walked up to the bar, “You’re a little thing to be out on your own. Can we offer you any assistance?” He doffed his hat and dipped his head slightly.

It was an idea, trying to use the Knights, and one the town elders had discussed. But there were plenty of drawbacks to that plan, and to the order itself. “My thanks, good sir,” she said, knowing enough about their preferred customs and fragile egos to use proper etiquette, “but I’m doing just fine. Too little for most to notice, you see.” She followed it up with what she hoped was a winning smile, and too late her tongue felt a little bit of mystery gristle between her teeth from that skewer. 

“Suit yourself, but it's a dangerous world out there” he said with a skeptical look, then had the barkeep fetch him a watery-looking beer before heading back to a table with two other knights. 

Jana didn’t miss the hard look he gave to another table as he passed, one filled with an eclectic group of wastelanders. They had a hard look to them, no strangers to the dangers of the waste, clearly. But grimy and grease-stained as many of them were, they didn’t quite have the look of scavengers or bandits either. Jana had a feeling these were the people she sought. They were just getting up from their table, and left a generous lot of shinies behind for whatever they’d been consuming. Jana beckoned the barkeep over and bartered for the meal and drink, thinking it likely she got the short end of the trade in her rush. She hefted her rifle over her shoulder more securely, and exited the cantina in pursuit of the crew. 

It wasn’t difficult to follow them, and easier still that she was correct in where they were headed. She weaved around some barrels and mechanical detritus, stepping past the vague perimeter of the bazaar, and approached the group who had gone back to their tank.

Up close, the beast of a machine was even more intimidating. Battle-scarred but well cared for, it was a massive bulk of impenetrable-looking metal. Smaller barrels poked out of the sides, ready to spit death onto any lesser assaulters, and dangerous looking mechanisms jutted from the top that looked plenty deadly in their own right though she wasn’t sure exactly what they did. The big cannon was obvious though, and she wouldn’t have been surprised if she could fit her whole head into the orifice, were she insane enough to do so.

The crew had noticed her, and a few were forming up a loose semi-circle as she approached while others stayed busy with whatever mechanical endeavors they were working on. They were an intimidating bunch, carrying all manner of weapons, and having the scars to prove they’d been on the receiving end of weapons in their own right. At least one seemed to be a mutant, maybe others. As scary as they were, they seemed to be waiting for her to make known why she’d ended up among them.

Here goes nothing. “Uh, well met,” she began, stumbling a bit over her words. She was met with a few inclined heads and returned greetings. Even a smile. She continued, “My name is Jana, and I’ve come looking for you on behalf of my town. Word has spread that you and your tank can face just about anything the wastes have to offer, and that is the kind of help we need. Uh, ‘we’ being the town of Greenwood. Well, not the whole town exactly. We have our troubles, but that’s not why we need you. A few of us… we want to get to Athens Station down south a ways. Heard of it? Probably have. My uncle of mine lives way out west, like, all the way west, and we want to bring something important to him. We hear they got a train running from Athens all the way out there, or most of it anyway. That’s not as important though… the main thing is we need to get to Athens, it’s real real dangerous, and we want to hire you to get us there safely. Me, my ma, my brother, and our vehicle. The town is well off, we can offer a good price in fuel, food, parts, or whatever we can figure. What do you say?”

She took a deep breath, she had got it all out. They asked her some questions, then huddled up to consider. It wasn’t very long. They came back to her.

“You have a deal. Get some rest. We leave first thing in the morning.”

OOC

This in not up for official roleplaying or anything yet, but I wanted to get up a little in-character scene to give you an idea where things starting, and some flavor of the world. Also, starting to figure out some good formatting for posts. If it helps to ground any of your background (I know this isn't very dense with lore), there you do. 

When the game begins, you'll be in transit with Jana back to her town. I may open up this prelude scene as we put finishing touches on characters once players are selected to do a little IC interacting.

Edited by Paxon (see edit history)

The Nomad Bazaar

Day 0

The crew watched a mixture of relief, elation, and fatigue wash over Jana as she received the news. They were always prepared or preparing to dive into action, so there was little different they needed to do in preparation for the next day. Jana stuck around to admire the tank, and poke her nose into the various tasks the crew-members were getting up to. She had a simple bedroll with her and some basic provisions, and indicated she would be comfortable enough finding some basic shelter and accommodation for the night somewhere in the bazaar.

The Nomad Bazaar was a regular stop for the crew of 1A-X B3, at least whenever they could find it. It was mostly located by word of mouth, a very loosely held schedule, and general reckoning. Perhaps a small bit of luck. The component members of the bazaar were an eclectic and often changing bunch. Lead by a small clan of survivors who quickly learned the knack of adapting to the new post-apocalyptic world, they have passed knowledge and traditions down to successive generations who carry on the fluid nature of the camp. Oddball tinkers and entrepreneurs tend to latch on and travel with the nomads for stretches of time. Visitors to the bazaar need to be keen barterers and mindful of the deals they make with the traders within, but they can usually find interesting components for trade, good enough grub, and various forms of entertainment. A modest amount of protection as well, especially when it comes to safety in numbers, but the bazaar is no fortress (not even close), and is much inclined to break apart and run for it rather than stay and fight.

It costs the crew nothing to park and make camp on the outskirts, and they usually take the chance to refuel, restock, and rearm, not to mention rest and relax to whatever extend that's possible. It also tends to be a great place to here news of the local area, and rustle up new contracts. As has been demonstrated this day. 

Now, dusk is turning into night. Fires and a few electric lights begin to illuminate the area. A small circle of travelers and nomads begins to form near the middle of the bazaar, trading songs, stories, and rumors. Trade still happens in some of the stalls. The cantina is getting a touch busier, despite the crew vacating it not long before. Most of the visitors are figuring out hunkering down for the night, as travel in the wastes tends to be extra dangerous when the sun sets. The crew go about business as needed, or pleasure as desired.

OOC

This is a simple opportunity to roleplay. As mentioned in the announcements, things that happen now are narrative/roleplay only. No purchasing or crafting will carry over into the start of the game (though you can RP acquiring things you have purchased for the beginning of the game already), and I won't be entertaining getting into fights. I'm happy to answer for NPCs, and respond to any rolls you want to try out. I'm also very comfortable with you making up minor NPCs in situations like this and RPing back-and-forth interactions with them. 

Scene / Map

I will post maps in this spot if relevant.

Mechanics

This space will have combat mechanics, if relevant

Ariane - "Det" McKinnon - Blacksmith (Techsmith) 6/Technician (Rigger) 6

spacer.png

One of the crew, Jana notices, is apparently too busy with what they're doing to properly join the huddle that decides her and her family's fate, remaining a pair of cloth-covered legs poking out from the underneath the tank. This doesn't stop her - for the voice is female - from either hearing what the others are saying or shouting her opinion, muffled calls that the other members of the crew seem to have no trouble interpreting. As the deal is struck, however, a loud CLANG! echoes from under the tank, followed by muffled swearing which becomes intelligible as the woman pulls herself out from under the vehicle. "-ew I shouldn't have trusted him, the lying, gouging, cheating piece of-," she mutters, before cutting her rant off upon spotting Jana. Now that she's properly visible, Jana can see that the woman is a mess of scars, every inch of skin not covered by her oil-stained overalls and tank-top, ranging up and down her face and neck to dip below her clothes and - presumably - further down her body. The biggest wounds, however, are her arms; or what's left of them. Her torso terminates in two gnarly masses of scars at her shoulders, attached to which are two rather beaten-looking mechanical arms. It doesn't seem to pain her in the slightest, as she shoots Jana a quick grin before turning to her fellow shareholders. "Remind me to shoot Soloman the next time we see him; that steel he sold me was more like tin for all that it held up, and now the secondary rear axle's busted. I can rig a replacement tonight that'll last us to Greenwood, but I'm gonna need to head into the Bazaar to pick up some actual metal so I can make a proper one on the way there."

After receiving various gestures of acknowledgement, the woman then turns to Jana, grinning again. "You can come along, if you like. A couple of my regulars have room to spare, and I might be able to trade some repair-work for a night, if you like. Could also stay in the tank, too; I think I worked my way through all the sulfur we had in storage, so there's plenty of room. Gonna need to get some more of that, I'm running low on nitroglycerin AND gunpowder. RDX, too, might be able to pick up the stuff to make...," she trails off, lost in her list of needs, before abruptly remembering Jana is there. "Oh, right, I forgot. I'm Ariane! Though most people call me Det. I keep this hunk of junk running. Nice to meet you!"

She holds out a mechanical hand - still partially covered in oil - to Jana.

The Nomad Bazaar

Day 0

To her credit, Jana only hesitates a moment before reaching out and clasping Araine's artificial appendage, returning the greeting. "Nice to meet you too, uh, Det." She attempts to unobtrusively wipe the grease on her jacket before shoving her hands back in her pockets. Still she looks over Det's shoulder a little wide-eyed. "That thing must take a lot of work to keep working. Skeet from back in my hometown has a tractor he's always cursing about trying to keep running, can't imaging what it takes to keep a machine like that moving. But... I might stay somewhere a little more familiar and filled with a little less whateveryoucallledit, if it's all the same to you. Wouldn't mind the help finding that shelter though."

She waits a moment to let the mechanic gather whatever she needs to head into the bazaar, while watching the others in the crew go about their business. There were definitely a few mutants among them. One fella looked like he was half plant, and another like he was only half-sized. Jana didn't particularly mind, there were a couple of 'em in Greenwood too, but they were always a sight. 

"So 'Det' huh? You owe someone a bunch of shiny or something?"

OOC

OOC comments here

Scene / Map

The Nomad Bazaar was a regular stop for the crew of 1A-X B3, at least whenever they could find it. It was mostly located by word of mouth, a very loosely held schedule, and general reckoning. Perhaps a small bit of luck. The component members of the bazaar were an eclectic and often changing bunch. Lead by a small clan of survivors who quickly learned the knack of adapting to the new post-apocalyptic world, they have passed knowledge and traditions down to successive generations who carry on the fluid nature of the camp. Oddball tinkers and entrepreneurs tend to latch on and travel with the nomads for stretches of time. Visitors to the bazaar need to be keen barterers and mindful of the deals they make with the traders within, but they can usually find interesting components for trade, good enough grub, and various forms of entertainment. A modest amount of protection as well, especially when it comes to safety in numbers, but the bazaar is no fortress (not even close), and is much inclined to break apart and run for it rather than stay and fight..

Mechanics

Nothing to see here

Ariane - "Det" McKinnon - Blacksmith (Techsmith) 6/Technician (Rigger) 6

spacer.png

"All the sulfur's gone, but suit yourself," Det shrugs, hefting a beaten toolbox out from under the tank and tucking under an arm, "And yeah, 's a job and a half. Everything's pretty sturdy, but there's so much of it that by the time you fix the last thing on the list, the first thing needs some love again. Not to mention the repairs after a scrap. But I love it; whoever built her really knew their stuff, and I learn so much every day just poking at the systems." As they walk, Ariane shifts the toolbox around to pop it open, and pulls out a small mess of wires, metal, and some sort of putty, as well as a screwdriver, and begins tinkering with it with quick, sure movements. Whatever it is, it engrosses Det enough that it takes her a few moments to realize Jana asked a question. "Oh, that? Nah, I don't owe anyone. Well, 'cept Doc. He's got a mean poker face, and I'm terrible at cards, but we keep track of that mostly for score, not actual cash. It's 'Det', no 'B', short for 'Detonator'," with a deft twist of her wrist and a quiet 'aha!', Ariane finishes what is now obviously a grenade, and gives it a little wave in Jana's direction. "Keepin' the ride running's my job, but my passion is making things explode!"

All of Ariane's scars, and her missing arms, make a lot more sense with this revelation. Unaware - or uncaring - of this fact, she adds, "So what's Greenwood like? I don't think we've been 'round there since I signed on. You got farms, sounds like?"

Edited by M3mentoMori (see edit history)

artificer.jpg.337f03bec0abd3d32b4a55a2cffd433b.jpg.8c22c90eda248f12c7583f5f2760f6ec.jpgMartin turned back towards his work, a box filled with a collection of wires and the metal studded green plastic of old world tech as Det jumped up to greet Jana. He was already tracing his work to find any missing bits when he overheard Det's plan to go through the market for a few things. Turning back, he called out, "Hey, if you are headed in, can you pick up some copper wire? I think I almost have this thing put back together again., And maybe a transistor, if they have one. I don't like the look of this one, it might not hold up long and trying to make one out there is., annoying." He finished, waving the glowing, heated tip of the soldering iron between Det, the old radio before him, and the wasteland beyond the bazaar. Looking back up towards the Tank, he frowned at the clanking sound from before as he turned his attention more fully on Det. "Do you want me to pull the old axle out? I could get it ready for the install., unless you wanted that, to do that yourself." He added, waving the iron towards the tank and the axle in question.

Actions/OOC

Actions

Mechanical list of things done

Statblock

Martin
male NG Human Blacksmith 6 | Technician 6, Level 6, Init 6, HP 80/80, Speed 30
AC 26, Touch 17, Flat-footed 21, CMD 26, Fort 9, Ref 12, Will 9, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 6   
+2; SA/Auto Assault Rifle +14 (1d10+7, 19-20/x2)
Grenade Launcher +12 (Variable, varies; Integrated Armory)
+2; Anti-Ballistic Breastplate (+8 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Natural, +2 Deflect)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10
Condition None  

Various Counters

Ammo:

-Assault Rifle: 35/35

-Grenade Launcher: 0/1

Gadgets: 7/7

Jury Rigged Devices: 0/2

-

-

Tech Sphere Charges: 14/14

Tech Sphere devices: 10/10

-Integrated Armory (Grenade Launcher)

-Speed Lever (Grenade Launcher)

-Speed Lever (Assault Rifle)

-Fire Extinguisher

-Respirator

-Camera

-Clamp Boots

-Sensory Set (Thermal)

-Emergency Beacon

-Shelter

Packer ‘The Stump’ Green - Conscript 6/ Sentinel 6

spacer.png

Once Jana proves to be a client and not a threat, Packer backs off from his defensive posture between her and the Tank and it’s Crew. He wanders over and leans against the hull of the Tank undoing his helmet to feel the cooling night air on his skin. He looks over at Jana from the corner of his eyes to see her reaction to his mutant form while saying to Det, “Don’t stay out too late Det, I’ll come looking if you’re out when we aim to button up for the night. You know how that went last time. Poor woman nearly passed out from fright when I stomped past her looking for you.” Packer nods Jana’s way as they set off and settles into watch the surroundings while the others resume their maintenance and side projects.

The Nomad Bazaar

Somewhere in the wastes

Jana was about to answer when a couple of Det's teammates called out to her. The one with some kind of brand on his forehead was asking about technical matters, while the one in big armor was being protective. Her eyes widened another notch when he undid his helmet, getting an even clearer view of one of the more obviously mutant faces she'd seen. "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on her," Jana smiled, acting a bit more bold than when she first encountered the Crew. 

As they turned toward the Bazaar, Jana went back to answering the question about Greenwood, "Yeah, we got some real nice farmland. But it wasn't always that way. Things were real hard at first, and our land wasn't much better than most..." It was easy enough to see Jana's face light up as she talked about her hometown with a measure of pride. She described some harder days the town went through in a struggle to survive. Not any different than most part of the wastes. So much land was disrupted, radiated, polluted, or blighted that growing enough to feed everyone was a huge challenge, and that was aside from all the other external dangers. "Anyway, in the last years we've figured out a few things. Got a little... lucky I guess you could say. But more than that." She looked like she was about to say something else, but paused. She seemed to brush it away. "So Greenwood grows some of the best crops around. We're not all that big, mind you, but what we grow is the best quality you'll find anywhere."

Not far away, at the edge of the lighting that illuminated the workspace around the tank, another figure had wandered near. He wasn't trying to hide, nor would he even accurately be described as "skulking," rather he had drawn close enough for a look but not so close as to be mistaken for violating any sort of perimeter. The slight sway in his stance and the nearly empty bottle held loosely in one hand let on that his positioning was more happenstance than anything thought out. For those with keener vision, particularly those who could see well in the dark, his features prominently marked him out as a mutant. His eyes were spaced far wider on his head than typical, and his watery eyeballs had rectangular pupils like a goat. A knit cap askew on his head only covered up one of the two curled horns that grew from his scalp. Jana hadn't really noticed him come up, but she may have otherwise recognized him as the hunched figure she passed on the way in. "So... s'true then..." he said, possibly to himself but with the unmodulated volume of a drunk, "... The Tank is crewed by some muties. Didn't believe 'ol Slippery Jim when he said so." He punctuated the statement with a rude burp, but the expression on his face was one of pride.

OOC

The drunk mutant that arrived isn't particularly important to the narrative. His name is Earl, if you ask, and you are free to puppet him if you want to interact. He's a wanderer, sometimes finding his way to the bazaar to exchange some salvage for necessities and booze. His life is spent on the fringes of even wasteland society, on account of his obviously mutant appearance, which some of your characters can relate to. He's heard the tales, and wandered/stumbled on over to see for himself.

(It doesn't take any kind of roll to actually notice him, though you are welcome to try one out; I'll let you decide if your character can make him out or if they need to move a little closer for a clear look)

Scene / Map

The Nomad Bazaar was a regular stop for the crew of 1A-X B3, at least whenever they could find it. It was mostly located by word of mouth, a very loosely held schedule, and general reckoning. Perhaps a small bit of luck. The component members of the bazaar were an eclectic and often changing bunch. Lead by a small clan of survivors who quickly learned the knack of adapting to the new post-apocalyptic world, they have passed knowledge and traditions down to successive generations who carry on the fluid nature of the camp. Oddball tinkers and entrepreneurs tend to latch on and travel with the nomads for stretches of time. Visitors to the bazaar need to be keen barterers and mindful of the deals they make with the traders within, but they can usually find interesting components for trade, good enough grub, and various forms of entertainment. A modest amount of protection as well, especially when it comes to safety in numbers, but the bazaar is no fortress (not even close), and is much inclined to break apart and run for it rather than stay and fight..

Mechanics

Markus "Doc" Strumpky - Wasteland HealerScholar 6 (Doctor/Harmacist)
Alchemist 6 (Physician)

CHAPTER NAME

https://i.imgur.com/nhdbjoh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nhdbjoh.jpg

Hearing the young woman's voice, Doc poked his head out of the rear hatch of The Tank.  He'd been in the process of stowing the two jugs of moonshine he'd picked up at the cantina.  The stuff smelled...and tasted...about as good as the diesel fuel they used to run The Beast.  But, it was triple distilled, and was about the purest hooch to be found in the Wastes, and it was a perfect base for most all of his medicinal brews.  So he paid the exorbitant price the bartender, Jaral, charged without too much complaint.  Besides, he thought with a mental shrug, he usually lets me pay in trade, and I had half a case of gut tonic just sitting around for over a month, so I suppose it all worked out in the end.

Shaking his head in amusement, Doc caught a look at their caller as he stepped out of the hatch and closed it behind him, locking it out of long habit.  The girl's story definitely intrigued the wasteland healer, and he was inclined to say yes before she was even halfway finished with her tale.  Fortunately the rest of the Crew seemed equally interested...it was nice to be fully in accord with his fellows.

A fond smile creased docs face, though it was tough to see behind his heavy beard, as Det slid out from under the Tank.  Long habit, and professional concern caused him to give her arms a quick once over.  While it was doubtful something as simple as spinning a wrench under the Tank would cause problems, one always had to be on the lookout for injuries, as the interface between woman and machine was often susceptible to infection...and the fact that Det was pretty much constantly, literally up to her elbows in axle grease just made it worse.  Fortunately, he'd learned to curb some of his 'mother hen' instincts over the years, so he was able to refrain from commenting...but he always looked, regardless.

Seeing that Det intended to wander into the bazaar with the girl, Jana he reminded himself, Doc called out for them to wait for him, even as he quickly ducked back into the tank.  By the time he popped back out with a small leather satchel, the two women were nearly past the reach of the work lamps they'd set up around the Tank.  Fortunately Det was distinctive enough, and Doc's night vision good enough, that he wasn't all that worried about finding them.

Turning to Packer and Martin he called out, "Gotta take care of some horse trading.  Last time we were here, Farid said that he'd almost gotten that reverse osmosis water purifier up and running.  Promised me a few gallons of proper, sterile, water the next time we were in the neighborhood, so I made him a whole batch of healing ointments.  If we're heading out in the morning, I need to pick it up tonight, otherwise we get to keep putting up with sand in our morning tonic til whenever we finally manage to get back here."

He waved as he hurried off after Det and their erstwhile client.  "Should be back in no more than an hour.  Hopefully...you know how Farid likes to talk." With a shrug and a rueful look, the doctor hurried off, focused on trying to catch up with his crewmate.

Distracted as he was, Doc failed to notice the incoming drunk right away, and nearly plowed into the man.  The only thing that saved both was, ironically, Doc's own minor mutation, one indicated by the slit pupils of his green, cat-like eyes.  Twisting wildly to the side, he managed to limit himself to nothing more than a glancing collision of shoulder on shoulder.  "Ahhh!  Dammit!  Sorry, sorry!"  Reacting instinctively, Doc snagged the other man's arm, somehow managing to keep the two of them from tumbling to the ground in a heap.  Unfortunately for his rather sensitive nose, the drunk was well into his cups, and the breath which he explosively released in reaction ended up right in Doc's face.

Finally, after a couple more half-frantic gyrations, Doc managed to get the two of them stabilized.  Holding the other man at arm's length, Doc quickly took in his features, as well as the near empty bottle of hooch that, despite the rather hefty bump, the man never lost his grip on.  "Sorry 'bout all that.  Guess I wasn't watchin where I was headed." Giving the man a rueful look, Doc stepped back a half step and extended his hand.  "Let's try this again.  Howdy.  Name's Doc.  Pleasure to meet you." He cocked his head slightly.  "If you're a friend of Slippery Jim, I'm guessing you're a scrapper.  Still got anything interesting left to sell?"

OOC Stuff

TESTING

ONE

TWO

THREE

Combat Mechanics

TEMPORARY EFFECTS

STUFF GOES HERE

HERE TOO

ALSO HERE

ETC

COMBAT ACTIONS

STUFF GOES HERE

HERE TOO

ALSO HERE

ETC

ACTION ECONOMY

Free Action: -

Immediate Action: -

Swift Action: -

Move Action: -

Standard Action: -

Full Round Action: -

5 Foot Step: -

General Info

OFF-TURN/CONTINGENT ACTIONS

STUFF GOES HERE

AND HERE

HERE TOO

ETC

NOTABLE SKILLS/SKILL CHECKS

Will ALWAYS use Hermit Motif outside combat (+4)

Applied Consistency add +2 when Taking 10/20

Craft(Alchemy): Base +26 (Can always Take 10)

Alchemy Kit: +3

Alchemy Lab: +5

Craft(Leatherworking): Base +20

Leathercrafting Kit: +3

Heal: Base +29 (Can always Take 10)

EX Healer's Kit: +7 (+8 Deadly Wounds)

GM Healer's Kit: +5 (+6 Deadly Wounds)

Healer's Kit: +2

Knowledge (All): Base +21

Perform (Diplo; Hndl Animal; Intim; Sense Motive) Base +20

Hammered Dulcimer: +3

Profession (Doctor): Base +21

Profession (Pilot):  Base +23

Perception: Base +22

SENSES

Low Light Vision

Can see 10' in Smoke, Fog, etc

Perception: +22 (+1/20' Range Increment)

Sense Motive: +20

Stealth: +11

Fate: The Hermit Motif: Can Aid Another on self as a Swift Action. Bonus is +4; Duration: Permanent (Fated Oath Boon)

War Paint: Can have 3 War Paints active at once (Highland Clansman (Refluffed @Tanker Crew); Painter talent)

Blue: +15' Enhancement Bonus to Speed

Green: Increase duration of Morale bonuses by 2 rounds

Yellow: +7 Competence Bonus to Perception

CONSTANT EFFECTS/STATBLOCK

Current Run Speed: 45 (30 Base; +15' Blue War Paint)

Current Initiative Bonus: +2 (DEX)

Current Hit Points: 72/72 (78 Max/-6HP for Oath of Ritual)

Current Temp Hit Points: XX

Primary Martial Focus: Yes

Secondary Martial Focus: Yes

Current AC: 26 (Base 10; +2 DEX; +1 Inhuman Resilience (Natural); +7 Prescient Dodger; +5 Unarmoured Training; +1 Enhancement (Oath Boon))

Current Touch AC: 25 (Base 10; +2 DEX; +7 Prescient Dodger; +5 Unarmoured Training; +1 Enhancement (Oath Boon))

Current Flat Footed AC: 24 (Base 10; +1 Inhuman Resilience (Natural); Prescient Dodger +7; +5 Unarmoured Training; +1 Enhancement (Oath Boon))

Current CMB: 6 (4 BAB + 2 DEX)

Current CMD: 30 (Base 10; +4 BAB ; +1 STR; +2 DEX; +7 Prescient Dodger; +5 Unarmoured Training; +1 Enhancement (Oath Boon))

SAVES

FORT: +11 (Base: +5; +4 CON; +2 Inhuman Resilience)

REF: +9 (Base: +5; +2 DEX; +2 Inhuman Resilience)

WILL: +9 (Base: +5; +2 WIS; +2 Inhuman Resilience)

Resistances: N/A

Equipment

Daily Carry Gear - 36.9 lbs

Tank Key

On dog tag style necklace if not in use

Wastelanders Outfit

Heavy Jeans

Cotton Shirt

Flannel Shirt (in cold weather)

Combat Boots

Leather Duster

Black Felt Stetson

Chiurgeon's Kit (Strapped to Left Thigh)

Alchemist’s Kindness (2)

Antiplague (2)

Antitoxin (2)

Bloodblock (2)

Calming Cider (2)

Revitalizing Rum (2)

Smelling salts (2)

Soothe Syrup (2)

Stable Salve (3) 3d8+52HP

Exquisite Healer's Kit (Strapped to Right Thigh)

(10) Uses

Modern, high end first aid kit (+5 to Heal Skill)

Surgeons Tools (+1 to Treat Deadly Wounds)

Natural & Alchemical Meds

GrandMaster Tactical Shotgun (Back Sheath or In Hand)

Standard Load: (8) Beanbag Rounds

Deadly Nightblade: Activate @ Move Action

Progressive Neurodegenerative Toxin

Sanpkhang (Right Boot)

Poisoning Sheath (Current Poison: Debilitating Toxin)

Butterfly Knife (Left Forearm/Left Boot)

2x Concealable daggers: Open @ Free Action (Quick Draw)

Masterwork Needle Launcher (Right Forearm)

Standard Load: (10) Accupuncture Needles

Can be coated with any Toxin/Poison @Free Action

Fanny Pack (@Adventurer's Sash) (Waist (Lower Back))

3x Shotgun Box Mags

Beanbag (8)

Shell (8)

Slug (8)

5x Loading Tubes for Needler

Standard Action to load

50 Accupuncture Needles in leather case

Weapon Maintenance Kit

Gasmask

MW Binoculars

2 Rechargable Batteries

Flashlight

2 Bota Bags of water

Flask of high proof rum

2 Days Rations (Jerky, Trail Mix, Hard Tack)

Zippo Lighter (US Flag Motif)

Poison Pouch (Left Belt)

Materials collected through day for combat Toxins

Formulae Pouch (Right Belt)

Leather pouch w/sewn in tubes

Holds 15 formula vials

Materials collected through day for Formulae

Flashbang/Stinkbomb Bandoliers (Chest)

Materials collected through day for Flashbangs/Stinkbombs

Small clay forms to fill/throw

Go Bag (Sturdy Backpack+2) for emergencies - 42.6 Lbs

ALWAYS PACKED/In Personal locker

Exquisite Alchemist's Kit

Swift: Checks longer than 1 rd take half time

+3 to Craft (Alchemy)

GrandMaster Healer's Kit x2

(10) Uses

+4 to Heal Checks

Fishing Kit

+1 to Survival checks to fish

Gear Maintenance Kit

Survival Kit

+2 to Survival Checks

Climbing Kit

Silk Rope, Pitons, Climbing Harness

+2 to Climb

Includes Climbing Pick (+1 to Climb)

MW Nightvision Goggles

Flashlight

4 Rechargeable Batteries
5 Loading Tubes for Needle Launcher (loaded)

50 Accupuncture Needles in leather case
6 Shotgun Box Mags (8 rounds per mag)

2x Beanbags

2x Shells

2x Slugs

3 Boxes of shotgun shells

(20) Beanbags

(20) Shells

(20) Slugs
100' silk rope

2x Sunrod

10x Candles

3x Torches

5x Smokesticks

Butane (for refilling lighter)
Machete

6x Throwing knives

Skinning & Boning knives

Harvesting tools
Change of clothes

Grooming Kit

Bedroll

Blanket

Small Hand Drum
4 Waterskins

7 days rations

Additional Gear Stored in Tank
MW Tactical Shotgun

Shotgun Shells, in boxes of 20

200 Shells

200 Slugs

200 Beanbags

12 Mags

4 of each type
Needle Launcher

Accupuncture Needles

300 in leather case

10 speed loading tubes (loaded)
Exquisite Alchemist's Lab (Set up as needed)

Profitable: 2x profit on created items

Swift: Checks that take longer than 1 round take half time

+5 to Craft (Alchemy) check
GrandMaster Healers Kit x5

+4 to Heal Checks

Surgeon's Tools +1 to treat Deadly Wounds
GrandMaster Leatherworking Kit

Profitable: 2x profit on created items

Includes Tanning Kit
     +6 to Craft (Leather) check

GrandMaster Hammered Dulcimer

Profitable: 2x gold for busking

+2 to Perform

GrandMaster Gunsmithing Kit

Swift: Checks that take longer than 1 round take half time

+2 to Gunsmithing

Grooming Kit

Sleeping Box (Can be broken down)

Medical Tablet (No in game use, RP only)
Chronicler's Kit w/ex journals
Spelunker's Kit
Eventide Outfit

3x Explorer's Outfits

Alchemy

Formulae (# Carried)

Can have 15 Formulae 'active' at one time.

Improved Acid Flask (2)

AOE Splash Acid Damage; Lingering Damage

Struck Target takes 4d6 Acid 15' radius

+15' Half damage

+15' Radius 1 pt

Any target that takes 2HP dmg or more takes 1/2 next round

Improved Liquid Ice (2)

AOE Splash Cold Damage; Can Freeze liquid

Struck Target takes 3d6 Cold 15' radius

+15' Half damage

+15' Radius 1 pt

Can freeze 12 5' cubes of liquid solid

Can freeze AOE  80' diameter

This AOE can support Huge creatures

Improved Sneezing Powder (2)

Staggers targets via uncontrolled sneezing

Struck Target or Adjacent FORT 23 or Staggered 1 round

On fail, save for 1d4+1 rounds of stay Staggered

20' Radius: FORT 18 or suffer all above effects

Improved Tanglefoot Bag (2)

Sticks target in place via glue-like substance

Struck target-2 att/-4 DEX; REF 19 to stuck to floor

STR Chk or 20HP Slashing dmg to remove

Half speed for 3d4 rounds

10' Radius - REF 19 or suffer all above effects

Panacea (2)

Cures a multitude of ailments

Cures Blinded, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, frightened, nauseated, paralyzed, poisoned, shaken, sickened, staggered, stunned.

Salve (4)

Heals 3d6+52 HP; Healing beyond max becomes Temp HP for 6 hrs

Can only be given 9x/person/day

Any healing beyond max becomes Temp HP for 6 hours

Universal Alcohol (1 (6 doses))

Single shot alcohol (Combines Cider (Base); Rum; Vodka; Whisky)

Calming Cider: +3 vs Emotion for 1 hour

Invisible Ichor: 2x strength, no taste

Lullabying Lager: Fall asleep in 1 hr

2x resting Healing; stacks w/Heal check

Mindbending Mead: -3 Perception; +3 vs Illusions

Painkilling Perry: +3 vs Pain for 1 hour

Revitalizing Rum: +2 to next save, lasts 1 hour

Sobering Schnapps: Ignore Drunk penalties for 1 hour

Sickened penalty reduced by 1/2

Vitalizing Vodka: +3d4 Temp HP for 1 hour

Wakeful Whisky: +3 vs Sleep Effects

Can ignore sleep requirements

War Paint

Circumstance boosts 1/tgt; 3 on self (Blue; Green; Yellow)

Black: +7 Competence Bonus to Stealth

Blue: +15' Enhancement Bonus to Speed

Green: Increase duration of Morale bonuses by 2 rounds

Yellow: +7 Competence Bonus to Perception

Toxins (Can create/apply as Free Action)

Can be contact, ingested, inhaled, or injury.

Chosen at the time of creation.

Last 1 minute

To cure, 1d20+Heal Skill vs DC 17

Attack Mod: N/A - Dependent on Vector

Anesthetic

Numbs pain in target temporarily

First 14 HP damage after dose becomes nonlethal

+3 to save vs Pain

Can only be applied 1/hour

Degenerating

Slowly erodes stat(s)

-4 to one ability score (except CON)

Can be split -2/-2

Stacks with self

Drowsy

Makes target increasingly sleepy

1st Failed save: Target becomes Fatigued

2nd Failed save: Target becomes Exhausted

3rd Failed save: Target falls asleep

Can be awakened (@Std Action) by slap or dmg

Neurodegenerative (Deadly Nightblade)

Causes mental ability damage over time

Activate as Move Action; lasts til deactivated

Alchemy Sphere Toxin talents apply

1st Failed save: FORT 19 on dmg or Confused for 6 rounds

Successive Failed saves: -1 (stacking) to all Mental Stats (Min 1)

Alchemist’s Kindness (2)

Antiplague (2)

Antitoxin (2)

Bloodblock (2)

Calming Cider (2)

Revitalizing Rum (2)

Smelling salts (2)

Soothe Syrup (2)

Stable Salve (3)

3d8+52 Healing (Does not count against daily doses)

All HP above max become Temp HP for 6 hours

Alchemical Item Creation Time

Time Savers

____________________________________________________________________________

Swift Alchemy: All Alchemical Items take half the normal time to create

Rapid Alchemy: Alchemical Items costing 150GP or less can be made in 30 minutes

With Improved formulae, reduce crafting time to 15 minutes (result is still basic item, just made faster)

Increase DC of item by 6 (INT); this bonus does not apply to Alchemy Sphere Improved items

Swift Quality: Any skill check that takes longer than 1 round, takes half the normal time

Craftsman: Mundane items take half normal crafting time

Natural Materials: Counts as having Alchemy Kit for the purpose of creating Alchemy Sphere materials only.

Crafting Times

Alchemy Sphere Formulae

Can create 2 Formulae per crafting

Base Time w/o kit: 15 minutes

Swift Alchemy = 7.5 minutes

Craftsman = 3.75 minutes

Can create 16 Formulae per half hour

Base Time w/Kit or Lab: 15 minutes

Craftsman = 3.75 minutes

Swift Quality = 1.875 minutes

Can create 16 Formulae per fifteen minutes

Create Alchemical Items

Can create 1 regular Alchemical Item costing >150GP in 30 minutes

Swift Alchemy = 15 minutes

Craftsman = 7.5 minutes

Swift Quality = 3.75 minutes

Can create 16 Alchemical Items per hour

With Improved Formulae (Acid Flask, Liquid Ice, Sneezing Powder, Tanglefoot Bag) can create in 15 minutes

Craftsman = 3.75 minutes

Swift Quality = 1.875 minutes

Can create 32 Acid Flask, Liquid Ice, Sneezing Powder, Tanglefoot Bag per hour

Create Stable Formulae/Toxins

Create item using only Base Talent (Can increase DC as normal)

Base Complexity 1

Adding effect of additional talents = +1 Complexity

Max Complexity 6 (equal to Heal skill)

DC to Craft = Equal to Base Complexity OR 10+Complexity

Cost to create; can be sold for 4x this value (Profitable Kit/Lab)

Formulae: 10GP x Heal ranks x Complexity

Toxin: 5GP x Heal ranks x Complexity

Time to create

Creation Cost >250GP: 8 hours (1 day) per 1000GP

Creation Cost <250GP: 2 hours

Swift Alchemy: 4 hours / 1 hour

Craftsman: 2 hours / 30 minutes

Swift Quality: 1 hour / 15 minutes

>250 GP = 1 hour/1000GP, up to 8 hours

<250 GP = 15 minutes or 4/hour, up to 8 hours

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

The Nomad Bazaar

Somewhere in the wastes

“You know Slippery Jim? I ain’t trust him any further I can throw him, but I guess he knows what he’s talkin' about every once in a Kaiju pass. But I’m being rude, mister Doc.” The man slowly focused his strange eyes on the tanker, still a little wobbly due to his inebriation, “Name is Earl. Some call me Earl the Goat on account of the obvious. And I am a damn fine scrapper, if I say so, and I do. Hrm… lemme see here…” Earl patted down his person slowly, trying to focus his addled mind. Eventually he came up with a few items of very questionable value, which were at least good enough for Doc to make an exchange, were he so inclined. Highly likely very much in Earl’s favor, but that wasn’t really the point.

Det, Doc, Jana, and whoever else decided to accompany them back into the bazaar made some rounds of stalls and traders who were mostly willing to do business at all hours. Farid surprisingly did have that reverse osmosis purifier running, and Doc was able to get his purified water. Det was able to make short work of fixing a compressor for one of the nomads, and Jana was very grateful to have a small but reasonably warm and dry portable shelter to sleep in that night. She still accompanied Det and the others back to Tia, and listened to just a few of their stories as they finished their work for the evening.

She reluctantly left the Crew late into the evening, politely refusing another offer to stay in the Tank. But she was ready, bright and early, eager to head out.

OOC

And that's the end of the Prelude. To be continued in a new thread.

Scene / Map

The Nomad Bazaar was a regular stop for the crew of 1A-X B3, at least whenever they could find it. It was mostly located by word of mouth, a very loosely held schedule, and general reckoning. Perhaps a small bit of luck. The component members of the bazaar were an eclectic and often changing bunch. Lead by a small clan of survivors who quickly learned the knack of adapting to the new post-apocalyptic world, they have passed knowledge and traditions down to successive generations who carry on the fluid nature of the camp. Oddball tinkers and entrepreneurs tend to latch on and travel with the nomads for stretches of time. Visitors to the bazaar need to be keen barterers and mindful of the deals they make with the traders within, but they can usually find interesting components for trade, good enough grub, and various forms of entertainment. A modest amount of protection as well, especially when it comes to safety in numbers, but the bazaar is no fortress (not even close), and is much inclined to break apart and run for it rather than stay and fight..

Mechanics