Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

• 1 year later...

spacer.png

♫ Journey OST-Threshold ♫

Time: Early spring 2050 T.A. Morning.

As the hunting parties gathered inside the gates of Rhosgobel's wooden palisade, a great crowd of Woodmen assembled to celebrate the occasion, and wish for a bountiful day. Children laughed and screamed as they chased each other through the throng. Dogs were barking in excitement, eager to be off. Woodsmoke added a pungent texture to the crisp morning air.

In front of the gates, the chiefs of the village's most prominent families drew their conversations to a close and bid each other good hunting. As they returned to the parties they were to lead, the gates were unbarred and swung open to the sounds of hunting horns and the cheers of the settlement. The cheering continued as the Woodmen departed on the first hunt of the year. The companions took their places in the procession, following the leaders of the party. Once they ventured beyond the threshold, they were led east, towards the forest, until the distant cheers had faded.

The day was overcast, and dew was thick on each blade of grass as they approached Mirkwood. The world had the feel of having not yet fully woken up. But the Woodmen seemed in good spirits, competing with outrageous boasts of what they would surely bring back to the village at the end of the day. The hounds were racing ahead, chasing each other in the meadow, at times returning as though demanding that these men-folk at least try to keep up with them.

OOC

If you want, take a moment to introduce your character: their description, their thoughts, why they are here, etc. To avoid any inconsistencies, let's keep assumptions to a minimum, but if you have an interesting idea, an NPC you'd like to introduce, or a question, feel free to ask in the OOC. I tend to say yes to things, unless it conflicts too much with the established information of the setting.

I'll also take a moment to introduce Idunn as soon as I am able to. Probably next week.

The opening premise here is that all characters are joining the Woodmen in this hunt. Our PCs need not all know each other yet. In the next posts, they will be grouped together in the same hunting party, along with some NPCs, so there will soon be an opportunity for dialogue and interaction.

Expectations

For the sake of being on the same page, here's some expectations and general information:

• I'm aiming for a posting rate of 1-2 posts/week per participant. Ideally, a couple of short-medium paragraphs per post (on average).
  • Let me know if something comes up, or if you're getting bored or anything. If things need to slow down for one or more participants for a while, I'm okay with it-just communicate such things to avoid confusion.
  • Keep track of your PC's stats and such.
  • I usually post in 3rd person/past tense, though if you favor a different style, it's no biggie for me.
  • Basic courtesy and common sense applies, obviously!
  • This will be a co-op game, but I am happy to start with a hybrid guided/co-op approach. Since I know this setting well, I don't mind guiding/taking the lead in narrating until everyone gets a feel for the mood and setting. After that, we can take turns with things, for example by setting scenes, playing NPCs etc, according to each participant's interest, ability and availability.
  • This is a pretty simple, published adventure written for Gaming Conventions. Do not read it if you don't want spoilers, obviously! 
  • It's pretty linear, and while I don't expect us to veer off the rails too much, I'm more than happy to use Ironsworn to create diversions/side-quests etc. We'll see how it works.

spacer.pngspacer.pngShe had ridden from the cold North as fast as her steed could afford to, limited only by the presence of her hound, that accompanied her, and with no others save those few that had chosen to join her. When she arrived, she seemed grim and weary, but she had made it, and just in the nick of time from the looks of it. For her peoples were now setting out for their first hunt, and she would be able to join it.

Nearly a year had passed since she had last set foot to these lands. Her lands. She had come in the last spring, bearing tidings for Radagast, and had told him about the lighting of the Dwimmerhorn, and the happenings in Beorn’s lands, and of the passing of Thane Merovech and of Valtar’s attack. This was to her home, as were all the settlements in the eaves of Mirkwood, but these days she found herself more away from it than returning. And now, though merely a year had passed, so much had happened. She had no chance to convey any of it, neither to the Brown Wizard nor anyone else, for she had barely arrived when the hunt was started. Similarly, she had found no opportunity to speak to others about the Lost Watchtower in the Vales, and to seek men and women that would join her to man the ancient fortress ere winter broke again. If, that is, she could convince any to undertake such a foolish and perilous task…

And thus, weather-worn and weary, and with a sombre countenance, she joined the procession, having left her mount behind, with bow and spear at the ready. She hoped that the hunt would give her the opportunity to share news with her folk, and perhaps, by the time she returned in the evening, she could speak to Radagast. He was a strange fellow still, and she remembered well that he did not always take kindly to unwelcome guests.

spacer.pngTarric's hunting spear was more prop than weapon at the moment - the bushy-bearded man leaned heavily upon it and yawned, blinking drowsily as he watched the crowd gather in front of the gates.

Greetings were called and returned, and teasing thumps swayed him about that wooden support, drawing a laugh and a gradual straightening of posture as he grew more awake. Drowsiness fled even further with liberal application of drink from a steaming flask and soon he was cheering along with the rest as they flooded out to the hunt.

There wasn't a lot that stood out about Tarric in this crowd - average height, slightly heavier-than-average build, rough blunt hands. He sported shoulder-length brown hair not much tamed by the tie that held it, brown beard not tamed at all, blue eyes, and neat homespun clothes. When he turned, one might notice the crooked line of an old scar from his eyebrow into his beard on his right side, but even that wasn't so uncommon a sight among Woodmen as to be commented upon.

As the Mirkwood drew nearer, he drifted towards the outside edges of the crowd, the better to keep an eye to the hounds and the wood itself. The boasts grew more exaggerated, but other than some choice comments -- "That'd well be a switch from your catch last year, Renthorn!" -- Tarric did not add to them. Instead he watched and waited patiently for the hunt to truly begin, his main prize this year as always: keeping his companions as safe as possible. And if he managed to give a couple of the more-reckless ones a bit of a scare... well. No harm in that.

spacer.pngHeight was an aspect that existed in relativity. Leesha had always found the height comparisons of the young men and women to be trivial, with many taking pride in breaking three feet in height. But what was a few inches in the grand scheme of things? Of course, that had been in opinion until she'd left the shire. Suddenly, she couldn't help but wish for just a little bit of height walking around the legs of all the woodsmen.

Leesha had left the shire months ago and it showed. She wore the simple garments of her people, stylish by their standards but a simple prospect to others. As a hobbit, she stood just under three feet tall, Leesha might have been mistaken for a child with more mature features and lines on her face as she was actually a young adult. She carried with her a large pack which was sealed and padded to make sure its contents were safe.

Since that Bilbo Baggins had left with the strange dwarves, he'd been ridiculed and even presumed dead by some. But Leesha had taken the opportunity as an excuse to leave on her lonesome as well. She wanted to see the world. Besides, as both a doctor and alchemist, she felt she could not progress in her passion staying within the shire and its limited reagents and education. In the yearly visits by that Galdalf, she'd requested a few times he bring back books of the learnings of alchemy of man and elves. She'd since committed it all to heart.

Of course, the exciting adventure had so far mostly consisted of trying her best to not get trampled. A quick tongue and skill in healing had kept her useful wherever she went, but that didn't mean she didn't get constantly mistaken for a girl. Leesha followed the crowd as best she could, wondering a bit on how she'd ended up at this hunt specifically. She'd heard of this "Radagast" fellow, hearing a rumor that he was Galdalf's brother or something. Honestly those old men didn't even seem to age. She hoped to learn something from the man, although she was doubting that this was really the best way to find the bloke.

Despite it all, Leesha tried to keep herself in the middle of the crowd, not wanting to get left behind otherwise.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Deeper into the forest, the large procession was broken up into smaller hunting parties, each consisting of anywhere between four to eight hunters. Elders in part determined who got to go with who, based on age, skill and knowledge, but friendships and rivalries also dictated the groupings.

Tarric, Leesha, Idunn and Ingi were grouped with four other Woodmen; perhaps some of those they knew already, yet others were as strangers to them. Those who had dwelt in Rhosgobel were familiar with the other four: Amalric and his younger brother Eranbar, Eirnwyn and Thorismund. The former two were young and eager hunters who sought to prove themselves on this day. Amalric in particular was assigned the leader of the hunting expedition, as he often ventured into these woods, and knew them well. Eirnwyn was older, but still young, and an accomplished warrior-woman who was proud of her community and her role in it. Thorismund was the oldest. Those from the village knew that he had lost his wife to a malady during the previous winter. He did not speak much, keeping to himself and refusing to be drawn into any conversation.

Amalric begun to explain the lay of the land, telling to all about the deer, wild pigs and rabbits that could be found in this part of the forest. He also questioned the characters about their hunting abilities, eager to assign their roles according to how he perceived their skills.

OOC

Take this as an opportunity to interact with NPCs or other PCs. Narratively, some of us are strangers to each other, so it's not a bad time for introductions. The details of your characters' knowledge or relationships with the other NPCs are up to you.

Images are in order of reference (Amalric, Eranbar, Eirnwyn and Thorismund). Art by Jon Hodgson, as usual.

You may also make Moves as you see fit and according to the narrative. Although we don't have our main quest/oath for this adventure yet, you/we can also individually or in groups swear an oath to bring down worthy prey, just for fun. But this will only be a quick Troublesome vow as it's not the main point of the story.

I'm a bit limited on time so didn't pursue dialogue, but we can do some of that in days to come.

Enjoy!

Idunn looked at Amalric, casting a doubtful gaze. She was glad to be back in the lands of her peoples, and glad to partake in the hunt, yet it seemed that few remembered her, despite her recent visits to the village. She could not truly blame them; said visits were often short and hasty, yet she had spoken at the moot less than two years prior, and she had a small holding at the Black Tarn, a small neighbouring settlement, though she had long entrusted it to friends. Perhaps it was not surprising, for her folk, like any other, at times viewed wanderers with suspicion, but she had expected a warmer welcome.

"No matter..." she thought, and formally introduced herself, so that all here would know her name: "I am Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, of Firienseld," she said, and quickly added for those few amongst them that may have been unfamiliar with the tongue of the Vales, "or Mountain-Hall in the common speech, the westernmost settlement of our folk. I am a huntress myself, and though I have not hunted in these forests for some time, I return from wintering with the Viglundings and the Beornings, where I was a guest, and joined them in many hunts."

She wondered if anyone here knew her tale. News and gossips spread fast in these lands, though most knew to keep their mouths shut, out of courtesy if nothing else. Still, perhaps Amalric would see her for the accomplished hunter that she was, and entrust her with a little more than merely being a follower.

OOC

Secure an advantage with... hm... Wits? to convince Amalric that she's an experienced hunter:

Secure an Advantage:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 7, 4 (Total = 11)
Sum Total: 19

Edit: Strong hit. +2 Momentum.

The formation of the group had Tarric gripping shoulders and forearms with those he knew, and amiable nods to those he didn't. Amalric's lecture about the forest had nothing new to him, but he listened attentively regardless. The young man was appointed leader, after all.

When it came his turn for questioning though, he couldn't help a grin. "You well know what I can do, Amalric, but for those who might not -- I'm Tarric. More scout than hunter, but I've brought down a wild boar or two. Some of them even with a spear!"

He chuckled and then tilted his head to Idunn. "Having wintered with my kin Beornings, my skills may come familiar to you." Then his gaze fell on the halfling Leesha. "And I'll not assume, but if you should need a higher perch, come to me and I'll make sure you get one."

"...and am an accomplished doctor!" Amalric and Eranbar made clear motions of moving around alongside some of the other companions, after realizing someone was talking. The voice wasn't necessarily hard to hear, but it had been easy to miss as they hadn't been able to identify the orotund voice. As they opened their mouth to ask the obvious question, Leesha's silvery voice interjected, raucous and more penetrating this time.

"Ahem! Sorry, always forget be to speaking up in times like this." Those who were actually within line of sight would certainly spotted the three foot tall hobbit as she introduced herself more clearly. As one of the newcomers to the region, she was a stranger in this group, not having been around long enough to know of any of her companions or their tribulations. Of course, since leaving the Shire that had been the case, and each town she got to treated her differently.

Leesha looked over at the large man next to her, Tarric was it? Wasn't sure if she'd heard correctly. She loosely considered being embarrassed at being picked up with the embarrassment of not being seen and allowed herself to be picked up in order to introduce herself to everyone walking. She gave the man a smile and thumbs up, thankful to finally see people eye to eye once again.

"Name's Leesha Lightfoot, from the Shire. Suppose I'm traveling to further my learning in Alchemy. Thought a certain Radagast fellow might know something bout that." While she could be mistaken for a child, she had a strange accent to those who had never traveled to the remote home of hobbits. "Oh, but I'll be useful in the hunt. I'm an accomplished healer back home. Skilled alchemist too. Ya don't need ta be tall to crush leaves or climb trees."

As the strangers introduced themselves, and after the hobbit had said her part, Idunn's face darkened. She was used to being the bearer of ill tidings, yet it was not a role she particularly enjoyed. She wondered for a moment if she ought to speak of the happenings in Beorn's lands, and of the destruction of the Easterly Inn, yet she quickly decided against it. "After the hunt," she thought, trying to alleviate a small, residual feeling of guilt, "...the forest is dangerous, and they need no further worries."

Yet all that had eyes could see that she was holding something back... though as to what and why, they could not possibly say. And besides, they had other matters to attend to now. A call from Amalric made them all turn to his direction.

"Leash the hounds!" he cried in as subtle a way as he could, fearing that any louder calls might ruin the hunt. The hounds had picked up a scent, and they were getting agitated; Amalric did not want them to venture off prematurely, and scare away any prey. Then, when the others had done as he had said, he cautiously begun to follow the trail that lay before them, searching for tracks, until they all found themselves at a clearing not long thereafter.

Mechanics

It should be clear to your PCs that Idunn is holding back some information that they may find upsetting to hear. If you want your characters to press her on it, we can roll Face Danger against each other as per the rules in the book (pages 232-233) for opposing an ally. Choose any stat you deem appropriate.

I'm generally not a fan of PC-PC conflict, but I don't view this as "real" conflict, and I thought it might be fun to try (it's not something possible in solo games). Idunn will anyway share the information after the hunt, if asked, no rolls required.

As for the hunt, everyone can take the Gather Information move to look for tracks.

Good luck with your rolls!

It seemed to Tarric that Idunn's expression closed after he mentioned his kin, and he frowned slightly, wondering what was going unsaid. But that was something to contemplate a bit later, and his face brightened again at Leesha's request. It was no trouble at all to settle the small hobbit comfortably on one shoulder so she could finish introducing herself. One hand enveloped her ankle for extra stability, just as he would for any of the village children. The other held his spear easily at his side.

"A healer's always welcome, hunt or no," he affirmed. His head tilted so one blue eye could look aside and up toward her face. "From the Shire, eh? A long way. You'll have tales to share later, I'll wager."

Tarric loped along easily with the group as they started to move. Conscious of the hobbit still on his shoulder, he stayed well clear of any low-hanging branches. Up ahead, a clearing was revealed. "Now the fun begins," he murmured as the hunters began their search.

Mechanics

Tarric isn't pressing Idunn on what she's hiding just yet, though he may soon if a good opportunity arises or if someone else presses her on it first.

So instead let's Gather Information for the hunt, using Wayfinder to survey the landscape:

Action (6) vs 

Challenge (4,6) - Weak Hit. (+1 momentum from the move, +1 more momentum from Wayfinder, so momentum is now 4. The information complicates the quest or introduces a new danger. -thinking-)

Ignore this I didn't need to roll it Pay the Price (56)

Leesha nodded to Idunn. It seemed like the hunter was hiding something, but Leesha didn't feel like a hunt was a great place to push a stranger on their secrets. Instead, she kept that at the back of her head.

Being held up was unique feeling, much like sitting on a tree except the tree was constantly swaying. "Tell you what, if you don't drop me I'll owe you a story. Remind me to tell you about the time a dwarf king and his jesters waltzed into the home of my neighbor..."

From her higher perch, Leesha also looked around for tracks. "Hey, what's that over there?" Leesha pointed at a shadow behind a tree, which quickly ducked back into the woods as Leesha pointed it out. It was gone the moment Leesha pointed it out, which she supposed was true of any animal. Perhaps she should have kept her voice down though, or at least gave an exclamation matching that of the situation as while most of her companions turned their heads to look, Amalric immediately went for his own blade. Looking around, no one was able to spot the creature Leesha had pointed out.

"Girl, you should watch..." Amalric stopped in his sentence as he realized the leash to the hound which he'd been holding was no longer in his hand, having let go when he drew the blade. The hound went dashing in said direction. The man cursed.

OOC

Mechanics

Looking for tracks!

Roll Gather Information +Wits (3)

Miss! On a miss, your investigation unearths a dire threat or reveals an unwelcome truth that undermines your quest. Pay the Price.

Thorismund, the eldest in their party, shook his head, and he spoke grimly, proclaiming that this was an ill omen. Meanwhile, Amalric continued his cursing, and now turned to his younger and inexperienced brother, Eranbar. He seemed eager to blame him for what had just happened; the younger sibling did not protest as he received an earful, merely lowering his head in embarrassment. Eirnwyn, the warrior-woman, was still on edge, with her blade unsheathed and ready. Something had unnerved her; perhaps she too had caught a glimpse of the shadow Leesha had pointed out. "The bloody ghost..." she said quietly, almost in a whisper, as she moved closer to the others.

But Idunn had not seen it, and so all she could do was to join in the cursing, though her own curses were spoken inwardly. She had not known this Amalric; she had given him the benefit of the doubt at first, but his incompetence did not inspire much confidence. Deep within, she knew that she was a far better huntress. But now the damage had been done; she had no option but to react to it.

Uthred, her own hound, had not been leashed. He needed no leash, for he was far better trained, and loyal. Without a moment's pause, Idunn and Uthred rushed into the undergrowth, in the direction they thought the hound was headed, eager to catch it before it ruined the hunt.

Mechanics

I'll have Idunn Face Danger +Edge (running) to catch the hound, adding +1 from her Wildblood asset (as the hound is a woodland creature):

Face danger:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 6)
d10 Results: 7, 9 (Total = 16)
Sum Total: 22

Edit: Alas, a miss. Inclined to just make it a delay (-2 momentum) for pay the price to avoid this escaped hound derail everything!

Tarric was trying to imagine dwarf jesters and was just a bit too slow to prevent the hound's escape, or Idunn's chasing after it. It was dismaying to see the other hunters lose heart so easily. "Here now," he clapped Eranbar's shoulder encouragingly while raising a bushy eyebrow at Amalric's lecture. "Not your fault. Hunt's just getting started a bit early, is all. First thing is to get everyone back together, and I've got a nose for that sort of thing." He winked.

"Going to get a bit bumpy up there; hang on tight!" he said to Leesha, and walked to where Idunn and the two hounds had left the clearing. With each step he hunched further forward - slowly enough for the hobbit to adjust her hold or hop off if desired - and grew. Reality twisted, he shimmered and suddenly Leesha found herself astride the neck and shoulders of an impressively hairy and large bear! He finished his shift to all fours (though on her perch, Leesha was hardly lower than she'd been on Tarric's human shoulder) and began snuffling at the leaf litter.

Mechanics

Hm, I feel like this is maybe closest to Secure an Advantage, trying to hearten the group a little and set them up in a good position to follow after Idunn and the hounds. Because of trying to lighten the mood a little, I'll put it +heart(?): Action (8) vs Challenge (9,5) - Weak Hit. (Advantage gained but short-lived. +1 momentum -- momentum is now 5.)

When Idunn returned with Uthred a little later, empty-handed, she was cursing inwardly again, but this time her ire was no longer directed at Amalric, but at her own inability to catch the runaway hound. When she saw the great bear, for a moment she was startled, and she readied her spear, but soon enough she noticed the little hobbit on the great beast's back, and she put two and two together, and understood what had happened. She was no stranger to the Beornings, after all.

"The hound was too quick." she admitted, grumbling in frustration. "It must be long gone now." she added with a sigh. "With any luck, it won't have scared the prey away, and the hound can hopefully wander off for a while before finding its way back to the village. Unless... unless you think that you can catch it yet?"

She stood there for a while, watching them. They made for an unlikely duo, rider and mount, and she had to wonder what they had in mind. But they had lost precious time already, and so she was eager to return to the others as quickly as she could, hound or no hound.