Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2949: The King's Hunt

Vladim

A few weeks had passed since the fellowship’s return to Esgaroth-upon-the-lake. Now spring was starting to turn to summer, and the folk of Lake-Town were slowly starting to think about the preparations for Dragontide. As for Bofri, he had not been idle: he travelled to and fro between Lake-Town and Dale and Erebor, like a buzzing bee flies from flower to flower. He made sure to spread word of their journey and accomplishments to the good and the wise and the mighty of these kingdoms. But these leaders and their trusted councillors were the only folk he spoke to. In fact, he had sworn the company to complete secrecy with regards to their journey. Idle tales of treasure would certainly intrigue the curious and the greedy, and Bofri did not wish to be responsible for the death of such individuals, should they foolishly seek to trace the company’s footsteps in search of riches.

Bofri’s concerns did prove well-placed after all, however, when word of the journey did start to sprout here and there. How the information got out and who was responsible for this were both unclear, but word dod get out, much to Bofri dismay. The dwarf kept an ear out, monitoring the tales and gossip as they spread with growing concern, but assured the company that at this stage, they were nothing but fanciful tales, too vague for anyone to act on them. Yet he wondered how long they had before any ‘adventurers’ and other suspicious sorts – at their mention he shook his head disapprovingly – would start seeking the Marsh-dwellers’ gold. Thus it was with no small sense of urgency that he continued going about his tasks and councils, for now he was operating under limited time.

spacer.pngLord Ewald had not been idle either. A private, informal audience was granted to him by King Bard. His king listened to his tale with great interest, speaking only rarely to ask clarifying questions, and not saying much one way or the other. Yet it was clear that he was pleased with the mission that the company had undertaken, and greatly intrigued by the tales of the Marsh-dwellers’ gold. As for Ewald’s own questions, King Bard answered cryptically. It seemed that the fair lady Hafgrim had mentioned at the stairs of Girion was indeed from far-away Dorwinion, a land of fine wines and exotic merchants, and that she was indeed someone important: a merchant-princess in her own homeland. With Erebor restored, and the gold from Smaug’s hoard now flowing freely in the North, trade was flourishing again, and the bonds between Dale and Dorwinion were growing stronger. King Bard did reveal a few additional pieces of information: the woman’s name was Una the Fair, and she was an honoured guest in his court for the time being.

At the conclusion of their brief audience, King Bard expressed a clear desire to meet the others that had accompanied Lord Ewald in his journey down the Long Marshes. The king knew of Bofri’s quest, of course, as he had spoken both with the dwarf and King Dain about it, but now he worried about recovering the gold, as it lay so far away. Thus, another audience was arranged, this time not only with Ewald, but also his companions. It is for this audience that the company had gathered again, to seek counsel and support for the tasks that lay ahead.

[OOC: The audience with King Bard can be simply role-played, in which case it will be handled with just writing and potentially skill rolls (when you want to achieve something). Alternatively, we can also play it out as an Encounter, if your PCs have specific objectives for the company and want to achieve them (things like material support, soldiers, a good cut of the treasure, etc). Just let me know what you decide!

The arguments you make here will also impact the mechanics, with good arguments granting a reduction in Target Numbers or even outright successes.]

• 1 year later...

As the days became weeks, and Spring rolled into Summer, Barin realized that he would need to begin the trek to Dale. Packing up his meager belongings, he went to settle up with the inn-keep and was pleasantly surprised to be informed that his board and lodgings had been taken care of by none other than Gloin himself as further thanks for the services he had rendered during the expedition to the southern ends of the Long Marshes. Bidding the inn-keep a hearty farewell, he set out on the short trek to Dale with renewed vigor and a spring in his step that he'd not felt for some time.

The road was well traveled, and Barin found himself over the few days he spent travelling either sharing parts of the walk, or his campfire at night, with other men and dwarves making their way either to, or from Dale in the pursuit of their regular business, and though he was normally a solitary figure, Barin was glad of the company as the nights were balmy and the other travelers often had pipe-weed or ale to ease the conversation.

Eventually, Barin arrived in Dale and a few discrete questions of the guardsmen pointed him towards Ewald's home. Barin was suitably impressed, for even though Ewald's home was modest by even a minor noble's standards, it was still far more impressive an abode than Barin was generally used to seeing outside of royalty. Taking a few moments to make himself look a little more presentable, he made his way to the door and rapped, waiting patiently. Ewald's steward answered the door with a "Good Morning master Dwarf. Lord Ewald is expecting you. Please come in and take a seat in the drawing room. My master will be with you shortly."

So, leaving his travelling cloak and pack with the steward, Barin made his way to the drawing room and waited patiently for Ewald, wondering how the Lord had managed to get on with his attempts to get an audience with King Bard after their previous adventures ...

Lord Ewald greeted Barin with a big hug. "Welcome Master Barin! I hope your journey from Lake-town was good. It's a wonderful time to be on the roads, this season. My steward has readied one of the guest rooms upstairs for you and I hope the others will arrive shortly."

"I had a private meeting with King Bard and when I told him about our adventures in the Long Marshes he seemed eager to meet all of us. We have an audience with him in a couple of days, where I hope we can get his support for a second expedition with more men and resources so we can eradicate those marsh-dwellers and take back what is ours." He made a gesture to indicate he meant both dwarves and northmen.

Ewald greeted the other members of their fellowship as heartily as they turned up and offered rooms for them as well at his rather small mansion, but room there was.

When the day for the audience with King Bard came he showed them all to the grand building in Dale where the king resided. The Barding felt a little nervous even if he wasn't sure why. He had been here several times before talking to the king, in private and with others, but he felt a burden on himself this time. He didn't want to let his friends down and this was his king, so a refusal would be a failure caused by him, Ewald.

"Meeting with a king? Is good thing I joined you all! Fine, fancy folken as you are," Asfrid said to her companions with a smile and a gentle jibe.

"I suppose your plan is good one, Ewald. Those Marsh-dwellers, gold or no gold, cannot be allowed to waylay and slaughter any who sail by. I offer my sword and shield to help...but is true that it would be nice if the king sends more than just good wishes if we are to go back to that foul den!"

------

When the time to meet the king came, Asfrid did it respectfully and with honor, but she held her tongue until others who knew the king - like Ewald - spoke first.

Fareth's smile was deep and genuine when she greeted her companions once more.

'We shall see now what this King is really about, I imagine,' she said as they set out, and glanced down at her left hand.

As they walk, Fareth quietly advises her colleagues. 'This King Bard sees himself as having achieved his place by dint of his own bow - I suspect he'll want to assess us for himself. I propose we each try to impress him - honestly - as best we can.'

As the party entered the Main Hall of King Bard's palace Ewald stepped forward to introduce the group for his king.

"Your Majesty, we are thrilled to be invited here to talk about our endeavours in the Long Marshes and make plans for going back and secure the area for the Free People once again.
You know me quite well, but I will introduce my friends briefly and let them add to their own introductions."

"This is Barin Greycloak of Erebor, a steadfast and courageous wanderer. I have seen few men or dwarves wield an axe as fiercely as him."

"Then we have Asfrid of the Lake-town. A fighter with a heart stronger than the lions of the south. Her sword is sharp and it has saved my life several times already."

"The mysterious Fareth Swiftfoot was a new aquaintance to me when we met a couple of months ago but she has mighty friends all around the Rhovanion and perhaps further afield as well. I trust her knowledge about the wilderness more than anyone else's."

He introduced each of his companions facing them in turn and giving the king an example of their bravery from their previous expedition.

As Ewald makes his introduction, Barin took a step forwards and bows deeply before the human king, to the point where the tip of his beard touched the ornate flooring of the hall. As much as Barin disliked the trappings of those who would elevate themselves to lofty heights of power, he recognized that King Bard had attained his position through his heroic deeds and the strength of his bow.

These are things he could respect.

"Durin's blessings be upon you and this fine, grand hall," he said as he straightened back up, admiring the craftsmanship of the grand hall as he did so.

Chapter 1: In the halls of the dragon-slayer

spacer.png’You come again, as you have said.’ replied King Bard to Lord Ewald, and quickly turned to inspect his companions, whom he had not met before. When Barin greeted him, the dragon-slayer replied matter-of-factly, yet with the courtesy of one who knows much about the folk of Durin and their ways: ’Greetings, master Barin of the Grey Mountains. May your beard grow ever longer and ever thicker.’ Quickly, he added: ’I have heard of your deeds from both Bofri and Lord Ewald. It is good to see you in the flesh. There is much that I would speak to you. Yet I trust that you have not come here to exchange pleasantries.’

Now King Bard stood up from his throne: with a waive or his hand and a simple command he dismissed the few courtiers that remained in the room, and son after approached the fellowship. ’You have come here for aid, and that Dale will provide, to the extent that it can be spared. But there is one more thing that I can offer, and that is good counsel. If what Bofri said is true, then you plan to recover the gold of the Marsh-Dwellers.

Tell me: what claim do you have to this treasure? You have found it, of course, and that is in and of itself to be considered. But others may lay a claim on it as soon as the news spread.’

OOC

Just to clarify a few points:
_You are indeed in King Bard’s palace, and more specifically the throne room.
_Bofri is not with you, but he has already spoken with King Bard briefly, and the dwarf has also promised to meet you later.
_Ewald has already met with Bard and briefly spoken to him, though Bard has insisted on speaking to you all and hearing from you, so here you are.
_King Bard has heard about your expedition and findings from Bofri (and potentially Ewald, though that is Bearlord’s choice). Therefore, there is no need to exchange news, though you may ask of Bard whatever you wish.
_Although I think Ewald was aiming for a group introduction, in this case it does not matter if you go for individual or group intro. King Bard wants to hear from all of you. So feel free to make an introduction for your character (with or without a roll) or jump straight into the conversation.
_Regarding Barin noticing Fareth’s ring: he should be able to discern that it is of fine craftsmanship, Mannish most likely, and that it is a precious little thing. But without examining it more closely, it’s hard to say more. The specifics of the ring’s description are of course up to Eliadia, but I think that in a previous post he mentioned that it is a silver ring, probably bearing no gems.

Asfrid takes a knee and bows to the king upon first meeting him, murmuring a semi-reverent, "Your Majesty," to the well-known hero and leader of her people.

After Bard speaks, though, the warrior is back on her feet and nodding her head thoughtfully.

"Is true that this treasure is only ours by right of finding, not owning," the warrior woman replied after a pause, raising her eyes to meet the king's for the first time. "If true owner can be found, so it goes. I do not go to liberate the wealth from the marsh-men because I desire it for myself, my king; I go because is good and right to do so. Those marsh dwellers are twisted, warped...wrong. They covet like a dragon but they do not spend and build like men. This gold could do good somewhere in Middle Earth - here or somewhere far flung - but one thing I know: is doing no good stuck in the muck with the marsh folken."

Bowing once more, she lowers her eyes and adds, "Your Majesty."

Fareth bowed to the King.

'As my companion said, I am Fareth Swiftfoot,' she said clearly.
'I thank your majesty for meeting us. I concur in Asfrid's assessment of the Marsh Dwellers we faced - they are foul creatures, and we must all continue to battle the darkness - as you, your highness, know better than most.

We fought hard against those creatures, and defeated many - and escaped, despite the paucity of our numbers. We will not fail again, with your aid!

And I believe you have some knowledge of competing claims over treasure! For my part, I believe the wisest course would be for you, and your fellow leaders of men, dwarves, and elves, to agree that the treasure go in the main towards rebuilding the road Lord Ewald has spoken to you of. All the free peoples will benefit from freer travel, and from pushing the darkness back on its heels.'

OOC

Fareth will roll Awe to attempt to impress the King. I can't remember whether I have to invoke Royalty Revealed in advance of rolling - if I have to decide in advance, I'll invoke it to upgrade the success (and live with wasting it should I fail).

Are we rolling... persuade? after the intro to try to convince him?

Barin looked across at Fareth as she made her case, nodding sagely as she spoke. Once finished, he swiftly followed up with "Aye my Lord, the ranger speaks truly. To repair the road and rebuild the Eastfort will not be a cheap undertaking. It will certainly require the skills of many craftsmen for many seasons to see through to fruition. Notwithstanding other dangers that undoubtedly lurk within the eaves of that accursed forest.

As a skilled Stonemason of my people, I can tell you that to rebuild the road to the level of craftsmanship of the old, well ... those skills are likely lost to the mists of time, but with enough time, and skilled labour we could build a highway that would easily open up enough trade through to the Misty Mountains and the lands to the south to make it worthwhile."

At this, the dour Dwarf gave a loud harumph and once again regained his silence.

Ewald nods supportively as his companions speak about the the treasure, the Marsh-dwellers and the road. When they have finished he speaks again.

"What we need to take care of first is the threat from the Marsh-dwellers that Asfrid and Fareth mentioned. There are quite a lot of them and they are fierce in combat. We need a few good soldiers, some that can hold the frontline and some that can shoot from behind, but the ruins are cramped so we need to work out a tactic to lure the foes out where we can use our full force most effectively without getting surrounded by them."

"We don't claim much of the treasure. We already brought a few trinkets from it last time for ourselves and there are much more that remains. As Fareth suggests most of its worth should go to restoring the road and the Eastfort that Barin mentioned. I believe Bofri has told you about that project as well. But I think it's up to you and King Dain to discuss such matters. Perhaps the elves need to be involved as well since the location lies within their forest domain. I really hope that won't be a problem."