Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

spacer.png

Mountain-Hall, Misty Mountains, Early Summer of 2948

Scene 1: By valleys, plains and rivers

spacer.pngTrue to their promise, the companions met again in spring, in Mountain-Hall. Hartfast, chief of the village, greeted them all with open arms: he had heard of what had happened at the Festival of the Moon from Magric, and was much pleased with the outcome. Still, he complained about Nori’s long absences, which meant that there was much work to be done in the mines.

Much had happened in Mountain-Hall during their absence, and Hartfast was eager to exchange news. Progress in the mines had been slow, yet steady. There was other business at hand, too: many news about the Woodmen that dwelt far away, across the great river and nearest to the forest. Messengers spoke of a new Woodmen settlement near Rhosgobel, by the Black Tarn. Folks there were raising a new long-house over the spring, and though it was not complete yet, it was said that it would rival the one in Rhosgobel in size and beauty. More news was carried in the wind, becoming confused with rumours and impossible tales about an outlander who led many men and lived on the other side of the great forest, who wished to join the Woodmen. Ceawin was his name and, if the stories were anything to go by, he was richer than all the other Woodmen combined, laden with gold and many gifts, which he gave wherever he went. Word was that there would be a great gathering in Rhosgobel in the summer; a folk-moot of sorts, and friends and guests of the Woodmen were welcome.

Indeed, the rumours were true, Hartfast confirmed, and he too would soon be undertaking the journey to Rhosgobel. The companions had travelled much, and they represented many of the Free Folk of the North. Would they not join the chieftain on his journey, and would they not speak for Mountain-Hall during the folk-moot? ’I would be glad if you joined me and my sons. We must show our cousins what friendship between our folk can achieve. I hear that Ewald will also come. I will not be outdone by some Dalish lord, however rich and mighty he thinks he is!’

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe two sons, sitting by their father, looked at the companions, one with anticipation, the other with apprehension. The former, Einar, sat to his left, and was the younger of the two. Everyone in Mountain-Hall knew him, and as a younger man he had travelled to Dale, when the efforts to rebuild the ancient city had only started. It was there that he took to the dressing style and appearance of the Men of Dale. The latter, Wulfred, was also well-known, though rarely seen, for he spent much of his time patrolling the Misty Mountains. He was Hartfast’s eldest: a silent man, tall and wearing ragged clothes, he made it his duty to always see to Mountain-Hall’s safety.

Everyone in the village knew that Hartfast was old, and only getting older. Soon, he would have to choose a successor, and though he had many children, these two sons, different as day and night, were his most likely heirs.

’So? What say you?’ asked Hartfast. ’Will you join me?’

OOC

There are only two options here: Go to Rhosgobel with Hartfast and his sons, or travel separately. You don’t have the option of not going; if you do, you essentially remove your characters from the game. I apologize for this, but I will try not to rail-road you as much later on. So I recommend coming up with reasons of why your characters would go.

I tried to be as vague as possible for the fellowship phase, so you can fill in the dots. Did Gram share his marching-song already? Did Nori tell Idunn about the Werewolf attack? Is Idunn able to understand her hound's speech? What was the attack at the Old Ford? All these details we can fill out now or later, or even just let our imaginations fill the gaps.

• 1 year later...

OOC: In this post I'm making the assumption that Burnaby has travelled to Mountain Hall in the company of Fundor and Nori--Fundor having spent time Guarding The Old Ford along with Burnaby, and Nori meeting up with them at Old Ford in the late spring/early summer, at which point they travel to Mountain Hall]

Burnaby listened to Hartfast's speech, and to his question asking if the group would join him, Burnaby jumped up and said, quite loudly, "Yes, Master Hartfast, I will join you on this endeavor! My name is Burnaby Tangleroot, from the Shire, a small region to the West of these mountains, at the foothills which you live and work. Likely you have not seen many, if any, of my people, as we Hobbits, or Halflings as some call us, do not tend to go on adventures unless forced into it. I am an exception, Sir. I wish to learn about the Peoples outside of my region, and perhaps to forge bonds of Friendship with them. And to that purpose, I have humble gifts for you and your Household. It is an herb called Pipeweed, and along with it I have several clay and wooden pipes. After this meeting has adjourned, Sir, I will be happy to show you more about what Pipeweed is, and how to use it as a calming and clarifying tool that enables one to relax and focus their thoughts upon a matter."

As Burnaby finished speaking, he approached Hartfast and handed him several small bundles of Old Toby and half a dozen ornate pipes (all from his family's herb and spice shop back in the Shire)--plenty enough to share with many in Hartfast's Household or to give as gifts to others who have his Favor.

[OOC: Burnaby will attempt a Courtesy task roll to favorably impress Hartfast and his family/associates]

Ingi, when faced with the full fellowship as well as the imposing presence of Hardfast suddenly found the awkwardness that had beset him following the assembly at Carrock returning. Looking at his feet he mumbled;

"While Im not sure I can really speak or represent those of laketown, I would be honored to travel with this company".

Unsure if anyone had heard him, and if indeed he had been included in the invitation issues by the chief he risked a quick look at the others around him. As an aferthough he added

"If the road involves any rivers or bodies of water perhaps I may actually prove of some assistance..."

The way to Mountain Hall from Esgaroth had been a long one, but Gramtyng had plenty to discuss with his new ward, and a great many things to teach him. The boy could hold his balance on horseback decently enough, at least if the horse was not galloping - then he had a bit of a problem, but the Rohirrim knew that would pass eventually. For now, he instructed Belgo that should they encounter orcs, or any hostiles, to lean forward into the horse's mane and gallop as hard as he can - after all he'd had an obligation to Baldor to make certain his son was safe, as well as educate him. Belgo proved a good influence, so far - where Gramtyng was quick to make a sharp retort, sometimes entirely unwarranted (which earned him his name), Belgo was one to carefully consider before replying. Perhaps it was his father's craft paying off - a merchant couldnt afford to be rude to his customers, after all. During the trip, while watching Belgo practice what he'd instructed him - usually the sword, the bow, or horseback riding, the bard spent time whistling out a tune to a song he'd been picking out rhymes for, plucking at the strings of his lute in an idle way. He was recalling the frantic race from Stoneyford to the Falrock, and couldnt help but recall the battle-songs of his people. Though they fit poorly here, he decided to make something more... common: a walking-song. By the time the pair reached Mountain Hall, he'd taught it to Belgo and the lad seemed to have found the tune catchy, whistling it to himself.

---------------Mountain Hall---------------

"Hmm." The Rohirrim pulled at his beard, as was his custom when making a difficult decision: "Sounds good to me." He nodded finally. "Your land is quite beautiful, and I'd like to see more of it." He turned his attention to the newcomer, Ingi, without taking the piece of grass out of the corner of his mouth - old habit, it tasted bitter and somewhat disgusting and helped the bard wake up - "Rivers huh. I guess that means I should leave Leasere and Belgo's steed in Mountain Hall then. Unless you've an idea how we can move a horse on a river, Ingi? River does tend to be mighty faster..."

As Burnaby spoke, Hartfast did his best to listen to the little hobbit, but it was clear that he was not used to such long-winded speeches that took a while to make their point. Truth be told, old Hartfast seemed to wish to only make a show of just how many different and strange folk had found hospitality in his village. Never mind that Burnaby was the *only* hobbit in Mountain-Hall. That was a detail his woodmen cousins did not need to know.

Still, he listened, unimpressed with Burnaby’s offer, but as soon as Burnaby made mention of the pipe-weed, his younger son, much more excitable than his father, interrupted with enthusiasm. ’I have heard of this strange herb! When I was in Dale, it was said that Gloin the dwarf smoked when discussing particularly difficult matters with Bard’s men-a habit he picked up from your countryman Bilbo, I believe. They said it helped him think more clearly, although…’ and here, a bit of hesitation almost overcame the young man, ’..although some folk swore smoking dulled his wits.’

’Well…’ said his father, interrupting him with a cough, ’Hmph… Never mind such gossip, Einar. I thank you for your gift, little one, but I think it would be best to take it to Rhosgobel with us, and share it with my forest-dwelling allies. The folk-moot is not the only event-in fact many of the younger folk care little for it, but are eager to participate in the festivities that will accompany it. With Lord Ewald attending and the rumours of Ceawin’s generosity, the competition for gifts will be stiff indeed!’

’In any case,’ he continued, now shifting his attention from the distraction of pipe-weed to the business at hand, ’I am glad you wish to join me. And indeed Ingi’s experience may prove useful. You may call that land ‘beautiful’, Gramtyng son of Fastred, but I am not fond of the spider-infested gloom that my cousins call their home. But allies are allies. I wish to travel to all the Houses of my folk and to see this new house that is being built near the Black Tarn, and the best way to travel there is down the Dusky River. It’s a longer way than we usually take, but we have much time still, and I wish to speak to Ingomer and Evoric.’

He produces an old map of Woodmen lands, indicating the location of the Woodmen settlements, as well as the route of the journey.

OOC

Currently, Hartfast is suggesting to travel to Rhosgobel via the Dusky river. This is the longest route to reach Rhosgobel, but it offers the advantage of surveying all the major Woodmen villages, and Hartfast intends to make stops in them all.

It is possible to convince Hartfast to choose another route, as indicated below in the map, by making arguments, but Hartfast is stubborn: you will need to accumulate 6 successes in favour of another route, before accruing 2 failures (Great successes count for 2, Extraordinary successes count for 3). Limited player-vs-player is allowed here, and characters can counter-argue to remove successes from the pool. I hope this does not get too messy, but in the end it would be great to reach a decision that is acceptable to everyone. If there's too much argument, or if there are 2 failures, Hartfast may offer the company an ultimatum: come with me, or I will travel alone.

I will post the map of 3 possible routes and the associated journey rules below (Hartfast currently wants to take Route 1). Keep in mind that (1) you can also suggest other routes and (2) some of your characters may not know so many details about this region, so it may be hard to assess what the easiest route is.

spacer.png

Route 1: Via the Dusky River (Horses / ponies maybe ok, but could be very dangerous for them)
Leg 1: Mountain Hall --> Stonyford; 80 miles; 6 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure
Leg 2: Stonyford --> Woodland Hall; 60 miles; 3 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure
Leg 3: Woodland Hall --> Black Tarn; 110 miles downstream; 6 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +1 Fatigue on failure
Leg 4: Black Tarn --> Rhosgobel; 20 miles; 2 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure
An advantage of this route is that stops in the main Woodmen villages (Woodland Hall, Woodmen town) lasting more than 3 days may allow the reduction of accrued Fatigue, typically by 1 point per stop.

Route 2: Fully by land (horses and ponies ok)
Leg 1: Mountain Hall --> Stonyford; 80 miles; 6 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure
Leg 2: Stonyford --> Rhosgobel; 120 miles; 6 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure

Route 3: Via the Great River Anduin (horses and ponies cannot come)
Leg 1: Mountain Hall --> Anduin; 80 miles; 6 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure
Leg 2: Anduin --> Trader’s Island; 40 miles downstream; 2 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +1 Fatigue on failure
Leg 3: Trader’s Island --> Rhosgobel; 60 miles; 3 days; 1 Travel check, TN 14, +2 Fatigue on failure

Nori was the last to arrive at Mountain-Hall, showing up at the last possible minute before entering Hartfast's court. He carried with him a grim and hurried expression, noting to his familiar colleagues that there was a matter he would discuss with them later (if they inquired). Otherwise, the dwarf seemed preoccupied with their respects and obligations owed to Hartfast, making himself accessible for whatever the chieftan required.

Nori has stood with his companions, his newly acquried helmet tucked under his left arm. He has remained quiet and rather stoic during Hartfast's welcoming and request, the dwarf watching the older man and his sons with curiosity. For Hartfast, Nori looks less like the dwarf they knew in the prior year - he's slightly leaner and more stocky than he was previously, having worked himself vigorously during his time away. His face is a bit more gaunt and he carries an air of seriousness that wasn't there before.

However, he seemed pleased when the new companions spoke up... and downright amused when Burnaby excitedly approached Hartfast with his gift. His beard shifted upwards slightly on his face as a partially-obscured smile crossed his lips. However, he said nothing and made no gesture to stop the hobbit, instead taking delight in Hartfast's uncertain reaction. It was a needed comical change of pace, that was certain.

When Hartfast produces the map, Nori approaches it with intrigue in his eyes, examining the routes as he begins to point out the settlements and gives some basic information regarding their travels. When he has finished, the dwarf backs away from the map and looks to his comrades. "While I would certainly prefer the more direct route to Rhosgobel," he begins to say with a diplomatic tone about him - already conceding some point. "... I'm willing to defer to our host and benefactor..." Nori tilts his head towards Hartfast is acknowledgement of the man's status and his generosity to the fellowship as it stood. "... and take him through Woodland Hall and Black Tarn should he wish. If we have that much time, there's no sense putting ourselves through those rigors. I've never considered river travel all that reliable anyways." The dwarf seems almost agitated by the thought of being on a boat or in the water.

Fundor had spent a few weeks at the Old Ford where he met Burnaby as they both were volunteer for helping guarding the ford. Then it was time to walk south-west and go to Mountain Hall.

At last Fundor was back on a rocky land, he could feel it under his feet. Even if that was ages ago, he knew that his people had dwelt here in the mountains. Mountain Hall was Fundor first objective before he was thrown in the search for the Sickle of the Moon.

When Fundor meet Nori, he has a smile So you're back, Nori of Erebor. I hope that you have my flask and that's it isn't empty anymore ! Then Fundor take notes of Nori's expression and remove his smile Hum, Is there anything wrong ? We might have a talk after our meeting with Harfast.

When meeting with Harfast's court, Fundor tries to be as presentable as possible : he doesn't know about Woodmen courtesy rules, he never though about asking Idunn about that. This explains why he's so hesitant (OOC)I'm Fundor, son of Thrar of the far Blue Mountains, I thank you for your hostipa, (cough), hospitality. Then Fundor backs up, a bit angry after himself.

Later when Harfast invites them to follow him to Black Tarn Hall, he immediatly grims at the river and forest route that Harfast prefers. I never went to the west side of the Anduin and this is your land, you know it better than me. So I will follow you whatever the final decision is. (small pause) Still, it seems that the 2nd route is far shorter and would avoid any danger of the forest. We met a dark and very dangerous living tree a few months ago,i'm not wishing to meet that again. And for the river, I share Nori's opinion.

Buoyed by the idea that he may have a place in the traveling party and forgetting his surroundings for a moment Ingi quickly smiled and replied to Gramtyng "Well that depends on how well your horses can swim...". Realizing that his tongue may have again run ahead of his manners he added "That is to say it depends on the nature boats and the rivers and and horses. It may be possible if I would be permitted some time to make some modifications to existing boat....". "As to route I do not think I know enough to suggest anything, although if we are to travel by boat and I am to navigate i would like to know the nature of the rivers, for this could have some bearing on how hard or easy the journey may be"

Also noticing the general unease of the dwarfs at the idea of river travel Ingi tried to put them at ease "Fundor and Nori - I know the river must be about as far away from deep mountain as a dwarf can find himself, however I promise you that I well, was considered a rather competent navigator at home, and among the men of lake town that isnt something to be said lightly" Blushing at the though that he had just been overly immodest at describing his own skills he added -"Fundor, you have seen for yourself while we stayed at Old Mabs, so you at least have some firsthand information on which to make judgement."

Burnaby was slightly disappointed by how unimpressed Hartfast was with his gift offerings, but he figured that the man must have a lot on his mind as a leader among his people. Burnaby smiled openly when Hartfast's younger son, Einar, spoke enthusiastically in favor of Burnaby's offering....

As the assembled group looked over Hartfast's map, Burnaby held his tongue, as he did not know anything about the area which the map represented. It was obvious, though, that if they took Hartfast's proposed route, that at some point along the way Burnaby might be forced to leave his Beorning pony behind. That would be a disappointment, as Burnaby had really been enjoying the ability to hike unencumbered by a pack! Ah, but that decision point was many days away, and he would not worry over it now.

Idunn looked at the map, though she knew roughly where the Woodmen settlements lay, as she was the most familiar of her companions with her people’s lands. She studied it while they spoke, and when Ingi had finished speaking, she added what little she knew and thought, trying to reassure Fundor, who was wary of the forest.

’You can use the journey to learn more about my folk, knowledge that will serve you well at the folk-moot. The people of Mountain-Hall share much with the rest of the Woodmen, yet we do not live near the forest, like they do. The deepest and darkest places of Mirkwood lie to the west of the Dusky River. As long as we do not cross it, we will be protected from the spiders.’

Then, turning to Hartfast, she added: ’I will follow you if you wish it. I have unfinished business in Woodland Hall, and it is time I journeyed there.’

The comment caused Hartfast to fall silent for a moment, but quickly he sought to return to the matter of the preparations. ’Idunn is right.’ he said to Fundor. ’Our route may be longer, but it is safe. My sons are experienced and can look after themselves, as are you. With all ten of us on the road,’ he added, not forgetting to count Gramtyng’s squire, ’we will not fall easy prey to brigands or spiders.’

He continued, addressing Fundor’s fear of trees: ’As for living trees, I have never heard of anything like it. Do not worry needlessly about each and every tree, or you will never be able to take a moment’s rest under the forest.’

He then turned to Ingi, telling him that there were many in Woodland Hall that knew the Dusky River well, and that he would do well to seek them for information and advice, before turning his attention to Gramtyng and Burnaby. ’I have no stables in Mountain-Hall, but you can leave your steeds in the care of my daughters. They will be looked after well, and you will find them in good health when you return. This much I can guarantee.’

Hartfast cast his eyes on each and every companion in turn, trying to discover whether any of them had anything to add to the matter. As no-one spoke, the chieftain proclaimed with satisfaction:

’Very well! We depart on the morrow. Gather by the burg before the crack of dawn. I will collect food and supplies, but you may seek your own. The trading-post is well-stocked this time of year, and I have given instructions that you should be provided with anything you need. My house is your house too, but if you prefer to sleep in the Great House, I will not take offense.

Until the morrow then.’ he concluded, taking his leave to oversee the preparations for the journey.

spacer.png

1. Narrow Bridge: This bridge is the only easy crossing over the fast-flowing river. North and west of Mountain Hall, the river cuts through a steep gorge; east of the hall, the river clings to the sheer slopes of the mountains on one side, and is too swift and cold to ford. The Woodmen have fortified this river over the years by placing sharpened stones along the west bank to further dissuade trespassers. There is a hidden boathouse several miles east that marks the uppermost point at which the river is navigable.

2. Approach Road: This ramp is the only way into the hall. It cuts back and forth across the mountainside, and at its narrowest is wide enough only for a single cart. The ramp is lined with carved stones to ward off enemies and evil spirits.

3. Doorkeeper’s House: Here dwells Beranald, the doorkeeper of Mountain Hall. Woodmen of good Standing may be allowed keep their weapons, but all other visitors must leave their swords and other weapons here in Beranald’s care.

4. Great House: This high-ceilinged building is the heart of the settlement. It has walls of timber and is kept warm by three huge fire-pits. One fire is kept burning at all times of the year, and the Woodmen believe that if this fire ever goes out, doom will befall their hall.

5. Trading Post: This is a trading post where furriers, hunters and farmers may barter for the work of the forges and the mines. Adventurers may also acquire supplies here.

6. Mine Entrance: At the back of the village is the entrance to one of the mines worked by the mountain folk. There are three other mines farther up the gorge, and another two mines over the mountains.

7. The Burg: This tall tower was raised by a great chieftain of the Mountain Folk. His daughter, said to be the most beautiful maiden ever seen in Wilderland, cast herself from the top of the tower when her lover was slain in battle with Dwarves. Her body was never found; one story claims that the remorseful Dwarves found her and placed her drowned, half-dead body in a crystal coffin, where she sleeps until her lover returns from beyond the land of the dead.

8. Hartfast’s House: This large house is the home to Hartfast son of Hartmut, head of the House of Mountain Hall. It is always busy and full of life; Hartfast sired five sons and seven daughters, and has more grandchildren than he can remember or bother to count.

OOC

The remainder of the day can be spent as everyone wishes. You may split up, each character pursuing what they like. As I lack the time to open multiple side-threads, please be brief and try to summarize what your character does, so that I can also summarize the outcome for each character briefly. Focus on just one task instead of trying to do everything. Some ideas include:
1. Trying to interact / befriend the two sons. Einar in particular is intrigued by Burnaby, and is curious to try some pipe-weed, away from prying eyes though. Wulfred is less impressed, but you can try to gain his respect with any appropriate skill check (Awe, Hunting, Travel, Song, whatever).
2. Try to find Hartfast later on and ask him more questions.
3. Seek supplies at the trading post (you can get weapons and leather armour there for free).
4. Give your steeds to Hartfast’s daughters for care, and interact with them.
5. Anything else you can come up with, and you can combine it with one appropriate skill check, if you want.
You can also catch up amongst yourselves (e.g. Nori and Burnaby sharing news about the Werewolf / Old Ford attacks respectively). There’s no limitation on party banter; if you can keep this going, that’s great.

I attached a map of Mountain-Hall above to help you generate more ideas.

spacer.pngspacer.pngMountain-Hall was Idunn’s home, and her family had a house of their own. However, the huntress preferred to spend her nights in the house of her friend and mentor, Gerold, who had taught her a few things about hunting before she and her late betrothed moved to Woodland Hall to be closer to the forest. She still enjoyed the old man’s company, finding his presence calming, and much preferred him to her family, who were keen to see her engaged again.

Gerold was friendly and eager to hear stories from Wilderland and beyond, and he was pleased to host not only Idunn, but also Gramtyng and Ingi, with whom the huntress had struck up a friendship. The invitation was extended to both Fundor and Burnaby when they returned from the Old Ford.

Idunn’s last night in Mountain-Hall was no different. After making her preparations and saying her goodbyes to her parents and siblings, she sought her old friend and spent the night under his roof, inviting those of her comrades who were willing to partake of Gerold’s hospitality. They stayed up late, exchanging many stories until midnight, Gerold eager to offer much advice about the forest of Mirkwood, its dangers and its creatures.

spacer.pngOnce Hartfast has departed and left the company to their own devices, Nori immediately seeks out Idunn - she seems to be his primary focus. He attempts to gather Gramtyng and the others as well, but should they insist on heading off to their own needs, he will not insist that they deviate from their plans. Once he has those interested parties gathered and there is some semblance of privacy, he discloses in hushed, grim tones his experiences.

"I didn't want to say anything in front of them, but the woods are sounding more dangerous by the day..." he informs the group, making a gesture towards the area where Hartfast and his sons had been. The dwarf's eyes focus hard on Idunn as he admits, "I believe I had a run in with your beast." Taking a quick calming breath in through his nose, the dwarf tells those gathered what he witnessed. "There was a group of us returning from Erebor. You remember, Borin? He was traveling with us to Rhosgobel to enlist help in protecting some encampments just outside Mirkwood. Our caravan was attacked by some creature... a wolf so large it was difficult to imagine. We tried to defend ourselves, but it fell on us so quickly there was little we could do. I've never seen something that agile and fast... it was like a whirlwind of matted, black fur and fangs. What's left of us barely made it out alive. I dared not go back with what was left. Borin would not come with me to Mountain Hall for his own reasons, but he was there. If he made it to Rhosgobel he can confirm my story. But there are others out there who might not be so lucky."

Nori is open and honest with the detail he shares. From his lips, it sounds more like a ghost story - the dwarf completely in awe of what he experienced. His words are tainted with anger and sorrow, however. He's most likely bitter about the losses they experienced and being driven out.

spacer.pngFundor quickly understand that he will have to deal with sailing on a river in a large and dangerous forest if he wants to follow the group, which he does. When Nori talks about his misadventure with a dark whirlwind beast in the forest, he doesn't feel more confident about the route chosen. Now all what he could do was to prepare himself the best he could for that journey. At least, he hoped to get to the forest in good health and unweary. Thus he spends time asking questions to Woodmen of Mountain-Hall, also Idunn and Harfast sons if they are available, about the route, the river, the usual dangers of the forest and river. Even if they are more accustomed to mountains, still they have far better knowledge than him about forests. Fundor also gets supplies from the Trading Post and takes care of his sword that might be useful.

Fundor listens carefully at Nori's story. He understand that this experience has shaken him. "Was that beast attacking you for eat or was it a beast of the Darkness ? I'll keep my eyes wide opened when we enter that forest, for sure ! And my sword will be ready if we meet that beast."

Note : Fundor proposes himself for scout (explore)

Ingi was glad at the offer off hospitality at the place of Idunns friend Gerold. He spent the remainder of daylight in mountain hall seeking those who had knowledge of both the rivers and of the boats that the folk of woodland hall were likely to have at their disposal. At night as he sat around the fire in the company of newly made firends and enjoyed the atmosphere conviviality and comradery. After some time he ventured to Gramtyng "I have been thinking there is a small chance that we may be able to take the horses with us. I have some skill with both boat and wood and if the chief would allow us to delay long enough at woodland hall for me to make some modifications...The little hobbit seemed particularly vexed at the potential loss of his pony and I do not wish my assistance in boating to cause distress to any others " Addressing Idunn he added "this is probably only a good plan if there are stables at woodland hall, for I cannot guarantee that my plan will work" and as an after though "or that the horses will like it.... Boats I understand but how one can work in harmony with such a powerful, magnificent beast I am much less sure of"