Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Out of Character thread

Vladim

6 hours ago, thesloth said:

I added my persuasion roll, I think I got a Gandalf.

That's correct. Don't forget to mark your advancement point!

I think there's a group consensus on asking only for a spell of concealment so even though your roll was successful, I'll go by the majority and just assume that Radagast only 'casts' that on the group.

I'll try to move us forward tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, thesloth said:

Did the Northern Sentinel group all learn of that Inn together? I remember it but I thought it was OOC knowledge for Dahr-Ol.

I wrote this in the end (here: Year 2949-50: Sentinel of the North - Page 67 - Myth-Weavers )

Tale of the years (2950)

• Those journeying Southwards, through the lands of the Beornings, learn that the Easterly Inn is destroyed during Beorn's absence, by a treacherous orc attack from both the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood. The forces appear to have acted in a coordinated manner, and taken full advantage of the absence of so many warriors; they were opportunistic in their assault and destroyed the Inn before falling back quickly. Tragically, all the hobbits there are slain by the orcs; only the dwarf Frier, the establishment's tinkerer, survives to tell the tale, as he hides during the attack.

It's up to you if Dahr-Ol heard of it.

@Modest_Proposal @Diofant I am torn between two ideas for fellowship focus. On the one hand I can see Dahr-Ol wanting to protect Cecil as he clearly is not a warrior type.

On the other, I could see Dahr-Ol trying to mend the relationship with Gramtyng who I think still has some hard feelings over how Dahr-Ol handled the thing with Viglund. @Vladim is it possible in TOR for someone to have a fellowship focus even if the other character really couldn't be described as a close friend at the moment?

24 minutes ago, thesloth said:

@Modest_Proposal @Diofant I am torn between two ideas for fellowship focus. On the one hand I can see Dahr-Ol wanting to protect Cecil as he clearly is not a warrior type.

On the other, I could see Dahr-Ol trying to mend the relationship with Gramtyng who I think still has some hard feelings over how Dahr-Ol handled the thing with Viglund. @Vladim is it possible in TOR for someone to have a fellowship focus even if the other character really couldn't be described as a close friend at the moment?

Yup, totally possible. You can choose whoever you want, and they don't have to approve this or even be happy about it. It's totally fine by the rules, like Sam choosing to go with Frodo even when Frodo didn't really want him to when the Fellowship of the Ring broke.

20 minutes ago, Modest_Proposal said:

@thesloth Should you choose to focus on Cecil, I'm sure we could make it interesting. I don't know Dahr-Ol's history with Gramtyng, but I'm sure it would be interesting to read as well.

I think the TL;DR is that the company was sent to visit Viglund, a cruel chieftain in the North who keeps thralls. Dahr-Ol was quite open in his opposition to said chieftain, and also helped one of his thralls escape (she was a childhood friend; she should probably make an appearance in our story again).

Although this was done secretly at the time, the chieftain took Idunn as captive for a little while (he was pretty suspicious and wanted to retaliate), and this annoyed Gramtyng a lot (Idunn is an old friend of his).

• 2 weeks later...

I knew that we were meeting her at the gate, I just forgot to put her in since I was already behind by a week or so in that thread. I plan to only narrate for her on stuff that is super obvious, like fighting alongside me as shield maiden. Or commenting on Orcs or Hillman culture type stuff. Anytime you want to introduce an idea or a topic for conversation, be my guest. I expect her to push back if an idea sounds stupid. I imagine the woman to be outspoken from the Hillmen tribes, at least the ones who have escaped. I suppose that is a cultural point we could hash out later.

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I knew that we were meeting her at the gate, I just forgot to put her in since I was already behind by a week or so in that thread. I plan to only narrate for her on stuff that is super obvious, like fighting alongside me as shield maiden. Or commenting on Orcs or Hillman culture type stuff. Anytime you want to introduce an idea or a topic for conversation, be my guest. I expect her to push back if an idea sounds stupid. I imagine the woman to be outspoken from the Hillmen tribes, at least the ones who have escaped. I suppose that is a cultural point we could hash out later.

Yup, that all makes sense to me!