Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Out of Character thread

Vladim

48 minutes ago, thesloth said:

Since Arton is almost dead I want to go all out in a last attempt to save Thammegil. How much hope can I burn?

You can spend one point of hope to add a bonus die (d6) to any roll. I don't think there's a limit on how much hope you can spend each round (so if you need to roll twice, for example for an attack roll and a protection test, you could spend 2 hope to add a d6 to each roll).

You may also invoke distinctive features to make your character "Inspired". In that case, a point of hope awards two bonus dice (2d6), and not just one. For example, you could do something with Arton's "Bold" or "Honorable" feature. I think both could be worked into the scene.

Good luck!

At least for a few days you may get a stay of execution because I just caught a GI bug (or another covid 'present'). I will leave the rest to your imagination, but it involves the toilet...

Just for the sake of curiosity-a test of the new BBCode button...

[center][floatleft][img2=250]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/794349386351116329/958860516447649812/unknown.png[/img2] [B]Ed:[/B] 1 [B]| He:[/B] 3 [B]| Ir:[/B] 2 [B]| Sh:[/B] 2 [B]| Wi:[/B] 1[/floatleft][left][SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="teal"]Tarric[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][floatright][B]Mom:[/B] 10 (10/2) [B]| Health:[/B] 5 [B]| Spirit:[/B] 5 [B]| Supply:[/B] 5[/floatright][hr][/hr][hr][/hr] The orcs were no match for the combined might of the companions. Between Radagast's magical aid, Bróin's flashing axe, Idunn's long-knife slashing artfully, and Tarric's relentless fury, the party of infiltrators were soon bloody tatters, hardly recognizable. Bear-Tarric stood panting atop his last victim, rage slowly fading. He looked to the wall, intent on rejoining the combat there -- but even as the group returned to each others' side again, a great cry went up from the warriors there. Rage and exaltation - the foe had broken, the village stood strong... the battle was won! It now remained to assess the cost and care for the wounded and dead. The bear grumbled anxiously, leaning forward but then looking back to his companions and Radagast. Was there yet more to do? Radagast shook his head and made a shooing gesture. Tarric snorted and gently butted Bróin and Idunn with his coarse-furred head before taking off at a bear's rolling trot to find Olwinne. [fieldset=OOC/Mechanics]Marked the Orc Infiltrators combat as finished from Bróin's post. Per Discord and Idunn's post, advanced our Defend the Woodmen Vow progress to 10/10. So now let's try to Fulfill the Vow... [i]Fulfill Your Vow[/i] - Progress (10) vs [roll=Challenge]1d10z 1d10z[/roll] - ([b]Strong Hit[/b]) Quest is complete! This was a Formidable quest, so we get to mark 3 experience. I've moved Defend the Woodmen to complete and marked the experience on Tarric's 'sheet' below.[/fieldset] [/left][hr][/hr][spoiler=Assets][left][b]Berserker[/b] - (Combat Talent) When you [i]Secure an Advantage[/i] or [i]Compel[/i] by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit. When you [i]Strike[/i] or [i]Clash[/i] by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one: [color=blanchedalmond]------[/color]- Push yourself: [i]Endure Harm[/i] (1 harm) [color=blanchedalmond]------[/color]- Lose yourself: [i]Endure Stress[/i] (1 stress) When you [i]Endure Harm[/i] in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss. [b]Wayfinder[/b] - (Path) When you [i]Undertake a Journey[/i], take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset. When you [i]Secure an Advantage[/i] or [i]Gather Information[/i] by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit. When you [i]Swear an Iron Vow[/i] to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you [i]Fulfill Your Vow[/i] and mark experience, take +1 experience. [b]Talisman[/b] - (Ritual) When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits. [color=blanchedalmond]------[/color]- On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent. [color=blanchedalmond]------[/color]- On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2). As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors. When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.[/left][/spoiler] - [spoiler=Progress]▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full [table=2,4][r=1,1][b]Vow:[/b] name (rank) [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=2,1][b]Failure:[/b] [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=1,2][b]Vow:[/b] name (rank) [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=2,2][b]Vow:[/b] name (rank) [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=1,3][b]Vow:[/b] name (rank) [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=2,3][b]Vow:[/b] name (rank) [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [r=1,4][b]Bonds:[/b] [SIZE=4][/SIZE] [b]Bond 1:[/b] Olwinne his wife [b]Bond 2:[/b] Rhosgobel villagers/friends [b]Bond 3:[/b] Idunn [b]Bond 4:[/b] Woodmen-town [r=2,4][b]Experience:[/b] ◍ = have, = used [SIZE=4]◍◍◍◍◍◍ [/size] [/table] Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F) Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T) Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T) Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)[/spoiler][/center]
unknown.png
Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1
Tarric
Mom: 10 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5

The orcs were no match for the combined might of the companions. Between Radagast's magical aid, Bróin's flashing axe, Idunn's long-knife slashing artfully, and Tarric's relentless fury, the party of infiltrators were soon bloody tatters, hardly recognizable. Bear-Tarric stood panting atop his last victim, rage slowly fading.

He looked to the wall, intent on rejoining the combat there -- but even as the group returned to each others' side again, a great cry went up from the warriors there. Rage and exaltation - the foe had broken, the village stood strong... the battle was won!

It now remained to assess the cost and care for the wounded and dead. The bear grumbled anxiously, leaning forward but then looking back to his companions and Radagast. Was there yet more to do? Radagast shook his head and made a shooing gesture. Tarric snorted and gently butted Bróin and Idunn with his coarse-furred head before taking off at a bear's rolling trot to find Olwinne.

OOC/Mechanics
Marked the Orc Infiltrators combat as finished from Bróin's post. Per Discord and Idunn's post, advanced our Defend the Woodmen Vow progress to 10/10. So now let's try to Fulfill the Vow...

Fulfill Your Vow - Progress (10) vs [roll=Challenge]1d10z 1d10z[/roll] - ( Strong Hit ) Quest is complete! This was a Formidable quest, so we get to mark 3 experience. I've moved Defend the Woodmen to complete and marked the experience on Tarric's 'sheet' below.

Assets

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ - Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ - Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey , take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ - On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ - On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

-

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: name (rank)
Failure:
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Experience: ◍ = have, = used
◍◍◍◍◍◍

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

Edit: Wow! That works exceptionally well. Complex BBCode too. Let's try another one...

[center][floatleft][img2=250]https://i.imgur.com/11lESIZ.jpg[/img2][/floatleft][size=2][b][i][color=black]"Lacrimosa dies illa, qua resurget ex favilla. iudicandus homo reus: huic ergo parce Deus."[/color][/i][/b][/size] [size=1][b]Theme Songs[/b][/size] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UK0D59JnI][color=red][size=1][b]Dies Irae[/b][/size][/color][/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkof3nPK--Y][color=red][size=1][b]The Hours[/b][/size][/color][/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnMH4vnBHag][color=red][size=1][b]Gone[/b][/size][/color][/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWCphAu8ik][color=red][size=1][b]Yumeji's theme[/b][/size][/color][/url] [size=1][B]Name:[/B] Aife, daughter of Eirilich [B]Gender:[/B] Female [b]Race/Ethnicity:[/b] Pict [img]https://i.imgur.com/UzyLRqd.png[/img] [b]Height:[/b] Short-to-average [b]Weight:[/b] Thin [b]Age:[/b] 18 (almost) [B]Apparent age:[/B] 18 [img]https://i.imgur.com/UzyLRqd.png[/img] [b]Date of Birth:[/b] 23rd of September 687 [B]Sign:[/B] Libra [b]Place of Birth:[/b] Unnamed village in Pictland [B]Date of Death:[/B] 10th of August 705 [B]Place of Death:[/B] Carnuntum, kingdom of the Avars[/size] [Spoiler=Personality][left]If Aife's personality had to be described with just one word, that word would be 'stoic'. Enduring hardship is her lot in life, and she has accepted it long ago with resignation and detachment. In the recent past, her actions were more often than not determined by fear: fear of being beaten or killed; fear of being abused in a myriad other ways; or fear of ending up a pennyless beggar. However, her faith in the teachings of Jesus has given her some measure of strength, and she is willing to stand up for her beliefs, and die for them if need be. Hardship and misery have taken a heavy toll on her, shaping her into a bleak and pragmatic woman, one eager to accept personal suffering, for that is all she has known in recent years. Yet they have also forged her into a very resilient individual, one of great strength of body and spirit. With the discovery of the teachings of Jesus, her suffering has found some semblance of meaning, as she believes that it ennobles her, much like the Passion of the Christ and His cricifixion ennobled Him. Indeed, she has placed all her hopes and dreams of justice in the afterlife, for she is convinced that they are not to be found in this ephemeral world. Thus she does not fear death, but fully accepts it as a release from the living hell that is her fate, and is eager to martyr herself like the saints she so admires. It is not only the idea of the afterlife and the Final Judgement that appeal to her. The social issues implicit in Jesus' teachings are equally important. Amongst Jesus' teachings, certain parables and sermons resonate particularly well: the Sermon on the Mount, His views regarding the wealthy and powerful ([i](...) it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.[/i]), and the fact that He would accept female students and followers, such as her beloved Mary Magdalene. She knows that she is a sinner, but no mortal is free from scene, and with the Grace of God she believes that, when she is judged, she will finally find understanding and acceptance, and be forgiven for her many transgressions (many of which were forced upon her), and allowed entry into Heaven. Yet she is not always sure of it, and such doubts torment her often. Moreover, though she fully accepts the teachings of the Son, she has difficulty in comprehending or even accepting the Father, Whose actions are described in the Old Testament. Indeed, she often finds the Son and the Father contradictory, and at times diametrically opposed: the former kind and fair, and the latter cruel and tyrranical. She dismisses such thoughts, however disturbing, believing instead that her lack of understanding come from a lack of knowledge, and often wishes that she could read. Finally, with her new faith, she has attained some measure of self-righteousness, and often is tempted to believe that her judgements of certain folk are, in fact, the same as God's judgements. She understands that such feelings constitute hubris and are sinful, but during difficult times her old, pagan self bleeds through, and she wishes she could be the vessel through which God's justice would finally be brought to bear upon those that are cruel and wicked towards those she loves. Though she is a Christian, she mistrusts the clergy and loathes organized Church. Her views are not coloured by deep knowledge of the Bible and theology - she is, after all, an illiterate slave-girl - but from personal experiences. In her eyes, the clerics are fat, rich parasites that only seek to exploit Christianity for their own goals; many are lust-driven drunkards little better than the cut-throats and criminals she has seen frequenting every brothel. Their organizations are perversions of the teachings of Jesus. The true bearers of the torch are the saints and the martyrs, the eremites and the true miracle-workers, and the most reclusive of monks, who have rejected society and its sins entirely.[/left][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Appearance][left]Her most striking features are her pale skin and grey eyes. Her face is decorated with freckles; her hair is long, black and unbraided and her mouth is small. There is deep, unspoken sorrow in those often downcast eyes. They bear silent testament to the many hardships she has endured. Her appearance and demeanour signify her as an exotic foreigner and a slave, a woman of great beauty that would easily stand out in a crowd and grasp the attention of many, men and women alike. Under other circumstances, it would be a blessing; for a low-class prostitute, however, it is a cruel curse that has only served to bring about greater suffering. Though her face has been spared from injury and disease, she bears scars on her back, the markings from countless lashings she suffered from her cruel masters as a child. Most of the scars are old, having healed long ago. For even as a child, Aife was quick to learn the lessons of her masters. Still, there are always those few sadists who enjoy beating slaves and whores on occasion. Sometimes, a new cut or fresh bruise will appear on her flesh, signifying some such unpleasant encounter. On the blade of her left shoulder she bears a small mark: the place where the burning brand of her captors seared her flesh with the thorn rune (ᚦ), signifying 'þeow' - the mark of a slave, which she must bear until her death. She is of short stature, and her frame is lightly build, giving the appearance of an extremely frail, almost malnourished individual. Despite this, she is of remarkable resilience, both physical and psychological, for she has learned to endure much suffering. Indeed, there is grace in her movements, often hidden by a simple, cheap tunic that also masks her silhouette. When she speaks, her eyes are often downcast, avoiding contact with those of her masters or clients, and her voice is quiet, as befits a thrall. Thus she seems submissive, yet detached and distant to most - untouched almost in spirit, though not in flesh, by her ordeals. Yet there is fire in her eyes, lying dormant and concealed, suggestive of a great strength of will. Rare is the occasion when it is seen, and briefer yet is the time that it persists, but it can manifest in prayer, or when she recalls memories from her childhood in Pictland.[/left][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Background][fieldset=Background Part 1 - Life in Pictland][center][img2=700]https://i.imgur.com/twimZUD.jpg[/img2][/center] [floatright]The Tundra, arcipello (Deviantart)[/floatright] [i](...) “From that time the hopes and strength of the Anglian kingdom began to ebb and fall away; for the Picts recovered their own lands, which had been held by the English, and so did also the Scots that were in Britain; and some of the Britons regained their liberty...”[/i] [floatright][URL="https://www.gutenberg.org/files/38326/38326-h/38326-h.html#toc237"]The Venerable Bede, Ecclesiastical History of England, Book IV, Chapter XXVI[/URL][/floatright] [i]“To all of us slavery is a thing unknown; there are no lands beyond us, and even the sea is not safe, menaced as we are by a Roman fleet.”[/i] [floatright]Tacitus: Calgacus' Speech to his Troops[/floatright] [center][I]“O Caledonia! stern and wild, Meet nurse for a poetic child! Land of brown heath and shaggy wood, Land of the mountain and the flood, Land of my sires! what mortal hand Can e'er untie the filial band That knits me to thy rugged strand!”[/I][/center] [floatright]Walter Scott, The Lay of the Last Minstrel[/floatright] [left]She was born in Pictland, in a village north of the Firth of Forth, its name long lost from the histories. The year was 687, and the month was September, a time when the falling leaves marked the passing into winter. She was one of many children to be born after the battle of Nechtansmere, a catastrophic defeat for Northumbria that marked the rise of its Pictish rivals in the North, who could at last shake off the cruel yoke of the Anglo-Saxons. Aife was the only child of the chieftain, Eirilich the wise, and his wife, Morwen. Eirilich was a warrior of great renown, having fought at Nechtansmere against the hated Northumbrians, a follower of the old ways, and of the raven-goddess Morrigan in particular. For his role in the battle he was richly rewarded and he rose to become a leader of men, the chief of his village. Aife's mother was a midwife and story-teller, a figure as important to the village as her husband. She worshipped Brigantia and taught her daughter many tales and legends of her peoples when Aife was but a child. She was a wild child, full of mirth and laughter and curiosity, and often ventured into the surrounding lands, despite the dangers, to spy on the folk from the other villages. From a young age her beauty was apparent, and she was named for it, and she was treated well and with respect, and she had many friends in those few happy years. She was six when the Northumbrians came from the south, with painted shields, long spears and bright swords, seeking vengeance. They caught the Picts unawares and raided many villages. The men were killed, and Aife saw with her own eyes her father cut down by many. As for the women and children, they sold them into slavery. And though Morwen survived the raid, she was soon after separated from her daughter, and Aife wonders still what happened to her, though she holds on to no hope.[/left][/fieldset] [fieldset=Background Part 2-Life in Londinium][center][img2=700]https://i.imgur.com/qUHFDPI.jpg[/img2][/center] [floatright]Frederic Leighton, Captive Andromache[/floatright] [center][I]“So spoke the wanderer, mindful of sorrow, of battles ruinous, lands that lie fallow, spears that were splintered, shield-wall that shattered, the war-band scattered and mead-hall plundered. Of the death of his kinsmen, of the downfall of kings, and of warriors shamed, undeserving sword-rings.”[/I][/center] [floatright]Loosely based on the Anglo-Saxon poem The Wanderer (unknown)[/floatright] [left]At first she was defiant. She was, after all, but a child, unused to the chains of thralldom, and to being without a family. That first year of captivity was in many ways the worst: she suffered beatings, starvation and confinement, and twice she was brought to death's doorstep, though she recovered. She changed many masters, for few wished to keep her after witnessing her insubordination. She learned the hard way, but the lessons of slavery were eventually impressed upon her, much like the burning brand on her shoulder. The ordeal transformed her entirely, and she thought herself a living corpse, with just enough will left to do her masters' bidding. Things became easier after she accepted her fate and station. She was eventually sold to the House of an Eldorman in Londinium, where she would serve as a household slave until she came of age. Of the many abuses she suffered there we shall not speak. We will only say that her master did not wish to part with her, but that his need was such that he was forced to sell her. He was desperate for gold, and so he arranged for her to be sold to another lord, who would in turn ship her to Francia, where she would fetch a good price, as an exotic exhibit from the North.[/left][/fieldset] [fieldset=Background Part 3-Life in Soissons][center][img2=700]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg[/img2][/center] [floatright]The Garden of Earthly Delights, Hieronymus Bosch[/floatright] [center][i]The time is now propitious, as he guesses, The meal is ended, she is bored and tired, Endeavours to engage her in caresses Which still are unreproved, if undesired. Flushed and decided, he assaults at once; Exploring hands encounter no defence; His vanity requires no response, And makes a welcome of indifference. (And I Tiresias have foresuffered all Enacted on this same divan or bed; I who have sat by Thebes below the wall And walked among the lowest of the dead.) Bestows one final patronising kiss, And gropes his way, finding the stairs unlit . . . She turns and looks a moment in the glass, Hardly aware of her departed lover; Her brain allows one half-formed thought to pass: “Well now that’s done: and I’m glad it’s over.”[/i][/center] [floatright]T. S. Eliot, The Waste Land[/floatright] [left]The first weeks felt similar to the nightmarish months that followed her capture: life was hard, and she did not speak the language. The purpose for which her masters intended her quickly became apparent. It was a prospect she long dreaded, but there was little she could do about it. Life in the brothel was harsh, rife with exploitation, though there were a few that were kind to her. From them she learned the language. Even so, this new life was difficult to endure. She cried silently when she was alone, and came close to taking her own life on more than one occasion, though she could not muster the courage to see it to the end. It is likely that she would have succeeded eventually, had she continued going about her existance without discovering the Faith. It was in the cathedral of Soissons, after seeing the icons and carvings that depicted the tale of Jesus' life from birth to death, where she felt a connection with Him. She had not felt like this before, not even in Britain, where she had encountered Christians, though they had not impressed her. Perhaps there was something unique about the images, which in combination with her miserable life in the brothel led her to seek to know more about this Jesus and his students. She did not know how to read, and she understood no Latin and little Frankish back then. From the icons she was able to piece together some of the tales of Jesus' life, or so she thought, but her curiosity grew. So she turned to her peers, the women of the brothel where she worked. Some of them were Christians, and they taught her what they knew. The more she learned about Jesus, the more she identified with Him. It was easy to do: His tale was the universal tale of the plight of the weak and their exploitation by the rich and the powerful, the evil men that led mankind. Little had changed since He walked the Earth, Aife thought, but there was hope still. For Jesus also spoke of justice in the afterlife - God's justice! A day would come when the poor and the innocent would be rewarded, while the rich, the powerful and the sinners would burn in Hell for all eternity; a just punishment for their cruelty. If she had any faith in the Church, she was quickly disillusioned. Though the priests were eager to preach, she soon discovered that they were no better than other men, corrupted by power. She sought to confess once. The priest seemed kind and wise and knowledgeable, and did not turn her down, despite her profession. Yet when they were alone he revealed that he lusted after her, and when words would not avail him, he attacked her. She slapped him back with a swiftness and ferocity that surprised even her, and the priest, humiliated, did nothing to prevent her escape. Thankfully, that was the last she heard of him; the incident did much to colour her views on monks and the clergy. Despite of all the hardships and misery, the Faith brought some sense of meaning in her suffering. She became more patient, and able to endure even more. To her masters, this was good, for it made her even more obedient than before - a good slave, one they could trust with any task. And thus the years did pass. She nodded quietly and played along. Secretely, she dreamt of the fires of Hell that awaited them...[/left][/fieldset] [fieldset=Background Part 4-The dreams][floatleft][img2=400]https://i.imgur.com/OYod5XZ.jpg[/img2] Francesco Hayez, Crucifixion with Mary Magdalene Kneeling and Weeping[/floatleft][I]“There are three Powers, three unique Forces upon earth, capable of conquering for ever by charming the conscience of these weak rebels--men--for their own good; and these Forces are: Miracle, Mystery and Authority.”[/I] [floatright]Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Grand Inquisitor[/floatright] [left]They first came after a particularly nasty encounter with a brutish customer, that left her beaten and unconscious. In her dream, she saw a saintly figure, dressed simply like a woman of her own station. She told her that she was Mary Magdalene, a prostitute like her, but also much more than that. For she was a disciple of Jesus, and she had walked with Him, broken bread with Him, washed His feet at the Last Supper and been with Him till the bitter end. She had witnessed His crucufixion, His burial and His resurrection, and it was she that brought the news to the apostles. The apostles of the apostles she was, and she had been watching Aife from Heaven, and she told her that Jesus had a special purpose for her. The dreams continued, each of them more vivid than the last, more real than the waking world. And with each dream Aife experienced something new, something truly life-changing and transcendental. In each dream, Mary asked Aife to take her hand; when Aife did, she could see scenes from Jesus' life, as if she were Mary herself: the Last Supper, the Passion, the crucifixion upon Golgotha and the tomb of the Christ. She saw it all, and she was filled with awe. Magdalene told her that few knew the Truth - the actual Truth of Jesus' life and teachings. Only saints and martyrs, prophets and eremites had been able to learn it, and only at the end of their lives, with the Grace of God. The church only preached lies. But Magdalene told Aife that she was sent by Jesus to tell her that she was deemed worthy by the Lord, and that she was destined to hear the Truth. To the lands of the Avars she should go, to the village of Carnuntum, to prove that she had Faith, and that she was worthy. There, Magdalene would appear to her again, and there she would know the Truth and with it, Salvation.[/left][/fieldset][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Patron][left][floatleft][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/eIceoTm.jpg[/img2][/floatleft]Mary Magdalene, the repentant prostitute who washed Jesus' feet and witnessed His crucifixion, burial and resurrection. Her tale is testament not only to the possibility of salvation, even for one as sinful as Aife, but also to the respect and kindness Jesus showed to women, starkly contrasting the attitudes of the clerics and even the Father. Moreover, although Aife does not know it, much of the Gnostic Christian tradition and heresies have high regard for Mary Magdalene, and there is even an apocriphal Gospel that could potentially be attributed to Mary. Aife is uneducated, but a powerful spiritual patron (or even the vampiric sire) with interest in / knowledge of such matters could easily impress Aife with such Gnostic teachings, and she would be desperate to unlock the Truth and gain understanding of God.[/left][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Themes][left]More than hooks, I think themes are important in the long run for any character and any narrative. By themes I mean some kind of central question or conflict that can be brought to the forefront by a particular character or scene, and explored through role-playing and the development of the story. I always think that any story is more about just the protagonists (in this case the PCs); they are just proxies by which such ideas can be explored. I think that they would be useful to know, and I think that if I were the GM, they would be very informative to me, so I provide some ideas here. However, feel free to ignore them if that's not your style. One of the reasons I really like this character is the potential to explore many diverse themes. I briefly outline some possibilities below. _Paganism vs. Christianity _Orthodoxy vs. Heresy _The Father (Old Testament God) vs. the Son (New Testament God) _Vengeance vs. Forgiveness _Faith and freedom (free will) _Stoicism and acceptance vs. revolt _Humility vs. Hubris _Power, responsibility and corruption _Enlightenment, ascendance, transcendence _Empowerment of women _Trauma and healing[/left][/spoiler] [spoiler=Hopes][left][private](P)Dreams, Hopes: In no particular order: (1) Heaven in the afterlife; (2) Justice in this world and the next - punishment (the flames of Hell) for the sinful and the powerful; (3) Kindness and mercy for the weak; (4) To learn to read, so that she can read the Holy Book for herself; (5) To know the revealed Truth, as explained to her by Mary Magdalene in her dreams; (5) Vengeance against her captors and those who tortured her, made her their slave, or were her masters; (6) The strength to be more Christ-like and forgive those who have wronged her; (7) To see her mother again, if she lives yet; (8) To return to Pictland if she can, to experience again the feelings of childhood bliss.[/private][/left][/spoiler] | [Spoiler=Fears][left][private](P)Nightmares, Fears: In no particular order: (1) Being denied Heaven, because of her many sins. (2) Usurping Jesus' role as the ultimate judge, taking matters into her own hands, and becoming the one that metes out Justice. She has met vile people, and at times thought to slit their throat as they lay sleeping by her, after using her. The thought fascinates her and terrifies her. (3) She is not aware of it, but if her visions were proven to be false and corrupting, that would break her completely. Though she does not suspect this at this point, and trusts the visions fully. (4) Losing her new-found freedom, being returned to the brothel, becoming a slave again. She'd sooner die. Freedom is too sweet to lose a second time. (5) (nightmares) Many, from her past that is full of abuse.[/private][/left][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Quest][fieldset=Background Part 5-The quest][center][I]All this was a long time ago, I remember, and I would do it again, but set down this set down this: were we led all that way for Birth or Death? There was a Birth, certainly, we had evidence and no doubt. I had seen birth and death, but had thought they were different; this Birth was hard and bitter agony for us, like Death, our death.[/I][/center] [floatright]T. S. Eliot, Journey of the Magi[/floatright] [left]Aife never doubted the dreams, and she needed no further encouragement to embark on the journey. The distance, however great, did not matter to her, nor did she care that she did not know the way. And though she was a slave, and naturally she feared escaping, she knew that she had to. For the voices had told her what to do, and she dared not question them - she dared not question God. The opportunity quickly presented itself, as mundane as any, when she was asked to run an errand for her matron. She simply left, but not before stealing a cloak, a robe, a kitchen-knife, a walking stick, a loaf of bread and a pair of sandals. With only those meagre belongings and no plan whatsoever, she escaped. On the road, she felt at the same time terrified and elated. She constantly worried about her master pursuing her, and was always looking over her shoulder. But this was also the first time since her childhood that she was free, and freedom tasted sweet. She had almost forgotten it, but now she remembered, and her childhood memories came flooding back. She knew no-one and had nothing, save but the dreams, which were her constant companion. Mary urged her on, ever forward. She did anything she could to survive. At night, she hid in stables and farmhouses, and when she could not find such shelter, she slept under the open sky. She stole when she could; she begged when she could not. And when all other options were unavailable, she sold herself, though she resented doing it. She placed her faith in Jesus and her dreams, and she did not feel guilty for her actions. For she was following the visions, and she was doing what Mary had told her to do. She arrived in Carnuntum starved, with blood and blisters on her feet, her cloak in tatters, having survived more than one near-misses. But she was here, and that was all that mattered. Her heart beat loudly in her chest; her hands trembled; hed head felt light as she approached the temple from her dreams...[/left][/fieldset][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Childhood Story][private][left][i]Note: The following version of Boudica's tale is not meant to be historically accurate, but this is actually by design. My impression is that stories in an illiterate society would inevitably mutate and change for various reasons, for example for propaganda. The story here diverges from the Roman accounts in two major ways - the way the rebellion started, and the relative sizes of the forces of the Britons and the Romans. This is to add extra drama and give the impression that the Britons were under all circumstances the underdogs. It could be interesting to see what happens if Aife were to discover the real accounts, but that is by no means a request or even necessary, as I feel that there are lots of interesting directions we could go in with this character, and it's probably impossible to explore them all. But use this if it helps![/i] [B]The tale:[/B] When Aife was a child, her mother told her that this land had been their land for centuries, and they lived free and as they wished. But then the Romans came from across the sea. Their numbers were great, their armies mighty, their armour strong, their shields tall and their swords bitter. They conquered the island, they raised forts and great walls, and they enslaved the people. The chieftains and leaders they bribed; those who refused they tortured, and those who remained defiant till the very end they killed. They replaced them with other, weaker leaders, traitors to their own folk. But not all bent the knee to the Romans. Queen Boudica was one amongst them. Her own husband was tortured and slain by the Romans; she was flogged and her two daughters raped as she watched. And so Boudica called for a great war-council, and all the tribesmen gathered. Under her leadership they united, and she led them against the hated Romans, to victory after victory. At last they took Londinium, that great city, and they put it to the torch. Those they caught they punished in kind, repaying torture with torture, blood with blood. Thus vengeance was dealt, and the Romans paid dearly. Now the clans stood victorious, but having seized victory, they started to quarrel over power, and loot, and over plans. But the Romans had not been truly vanquished: soon they returned, with an army even greater than before, that vastly outnumbered the Britons. In vain Boudica tried to warn them; all her efforts at uniting them were for naught. And thus she stood a final stand, and fought against all odds, and she took many lives of Romans, but was eventually defeated. Boudica and her daughters killed herself to avoid capture. And so the Romans returned, and made slaves of the Britons again, though the name of Boudica they knew and dreaded for many years after. [B]What it means to Aife:[/B] The significance of the story did not become important to Aife until later, when she herself was enslaved. In Londinium, she often remembered the tale, and wished that the descendants of Boudica would once again raise the city to the ground and slay her captors. She waited, but the day never came. With her more recent embrace of Christianity, the story has become less central to her identity, but it is still there, lurking in her subconscious. She still longs for vengeance, though she will not admit it, but now she calls it God's Justice. Perhaps Boudica was a vessel of God's wrath; perhaps the same path is meant for her. Perhaps...[/left][/private][/spoiler] | [spoiler=Other][left][private][B]Other:[/B] I've been dying to play this character for ages. Basically, what I am aiming for is a proto-socialist / proto-feminist character when she is embraced (as it is power that will catalyse the change). I plan to add to the mix lots of spiritual /existential angst and self-doubt. I will also be drawing heavily from Alex Papadiamantes' novel 'The Murderess'; in short, this novel describes the killing spree of an old woman who strongly believes that the male-dominated world is full of suffering for women; therefore, it is better to 'send' the souls of baby girls to Heaven while they are still innocent and unmarred by suffering. It's a very disturbing conclusion, and of course I do not advocate it, but I think dark and grim existential themes fit a Vampire game very well.[/private][/left][/spoiler] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/cqZMzAE.png[/img2] [font=georgia][color=black][size=5][b]DARK AGES: VAMPIRE[/b][/size][/color][/font] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/IWabuwL.png[/img2][/center] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [floatleft][img2=252]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [floatleft][b]Name:[/b] [b]Patron:[/b] [b]Concept:[/b][color=#f2e9d5].[/color][/floatleft]Aife Mary Magdalene Lost childe [/floatleft][floatleft][img2=20]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=252]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [floatleft][b]Nature:[/b] [b]Demeanor:[/b] [b]Road:[/b][color=#f2e9d5].[/color][/floatleft][ooc=Rebel]Regain a point of Willpower whenever your actions adversely affect your chosen opposition.[/ooc] Rebel Humanity [/floatleft][floatleft][img2=20]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [floatleft][b]Clan:[/b] [b]Generation:[/b][color=#f2e9d5].[/color] [b]Sire:[/b][/floatleft]Malkavian [ooc=6th]Max Traits: 7 Blood Pool: 30 Blood per turn: 6[/ooc] Tlachtga of Ériu[/floatleft] [center][img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/cqZMzAE.png[/img2] [font=georgia][color=black][size=5][b]ATTRIBUTES[/b][/size][/color][/font] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/IWabuwL.png[/img2][/center] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]PHYSICAL (7)[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Strength[/b] [ooc="[B]Dexterity[/B]"]Lithe - She is flexible and moves with a minimalist elegance, even if she is oblivious of it herself. Something of the grace of Fairy is about her fluid motions, though it's hard to put a finger on it.[/ooc] [ooc="[B]Stamina[/B]"]Resilient - Exposed to countless hardships, physical or psychological, Aife nevertheless survived.[/ooc][/floatleft][right]●●○○○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○[/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]SOCIAL (5)[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Charisma[/b] [b]Manipulation[/b] [ooc="[B]Appearance[/B]"]Exotic - This daughter of Caledonia is fair and pale, and possesses features that make her stand out in continental Europe, marking her as a strange, foreign beauty.[/ooc][/floatleft][right]●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○ [/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]MENTAL (3)[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][ooc="[B]Perception[/B]"]Discerning - She is a good judge of character. She had to be to survive enslavement.[/ooc] [b]Intelligence[/b] [b]Wits[/b][/floatleft][right]●●●●○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○[/right][/floatleft] [center][img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/cqZMzAE.png[/img2] [font=georgia][color=black][size=5][b]ABILITIES[/b][/size][/color][/font] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/IWabuwL.png[/img2][/center] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]TALENTS (13)[/b][/size][/font][/center][floatleft][b]Alertness[/b] [b]Athletics[/b] [b]Awareness[/b] [b]Brawl[/b] [b]Empathy[/b] [b]Expression[/b] [b]Intimidation[/b] [b]Leadership[/b] [b]Legerdemain[/b] [b]Subterfuge[/b][/floatleft][right]●●●○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○[/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]SKILLS (9)[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Animal Ken[/b] [b]Archery[/b] [b]Commerce[/b] [b]Crafts[/b] [b]Etiquette[/b] [b]Melee[/b] [ooc="[B]Performance[/B]"]Field of Expertise: Singing[/ooc] [b]Ride[/b] [b]Stealth[/b] [b]Survival[/b] [/floatleft][right]○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○[/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]KNOWLEDGES (5)[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Academics[/b] [b]Enigmas[/b] [b]Hearth Wisdom[/b] [b]Investigation[/b] [b]Law[/b] [b]Medicine[/b] [b]Occult[/b] [b]Politics[/b] [b]Seneschal[/b] [b]Theology[/b][/floatleft][right]○○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○[/right][/floatleft] [center][img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/cqZMzAE.png[/img2] [font=georgia][color=black][size=5][b]ADVANTAGES[/b][/size][/color][/font] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/IWabuwL.png[/img2][/center] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]DISCIPLINES[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Auspex[/b] [b]Dementation[/b] [b]Obfuscate[/b][/floatleft][right]●●●○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ [/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]BACKGROUNDS[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Background 1[/b] [b]Background 2[/b] [b]Background 3[/b] [/floatleft][right]○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ [/right][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]VIRTUES[/b][/size][/font][/center] [floatleft][b]Conviction/Conscience[/b] [b]Instinct/Self-Control[/b] [b]Courage[/b][/floatleft][right] ●●●●○ ●●●○○ ●●●●○[/right][/floatleft] [center][img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/cqZMzAE.png[/img2] [font=georgia][color=black][size=5][b]AND EVERYTHING ELSE[/b][/size][/color][/font] [img2=65]https://i.imgur.com/IWabuwL.png[/img2][/center] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]MERITS[/b][/size][/font] [ooc="[color=OrangeRed][b]Fae-touched (4 pts)[/b][/color]"]Source: A Krasna homebrew You have been marked by something, whether intended or unintended. From Her— the blood of your veins? Or from something else within you, or outside of you. Perhaps it is odd, or even ironic, that you are as such, or perhaps it was meant to be. Your presence does not frighten faeries; indeed it attracts them, and you find yourself naturally attuned to their ways. Cainites can be quite distasteful to the Fae, but you are different. You are not so drenched by banality that you could even possibly enter Arcadia, the mystical kingdom of the Fae. Provided you find the entrance. That itself is a task and not a guarantee. Also, keep in mind that you are easier to enchant by Fae. For good or worse. All Social rolls to interact with the Fair Folk are always at a -2 Difficulty. In addition, somehow you can manifest the Discipline Mytherceria without the need of a mentor. However, this will still be an out of clan Discipline with all costs associated. Some will question your knowledge of such a power if you ever display to anyone as a non-Kiasyd.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Multi-lingual (2 pts)[/b][/color]"]Having spent much time as a slave in Britain and a prostitute in the lands of the Franks, Aife has picked up the languages of these peoples and can speak Old English (Germanic) and Old Frankish semi-competently. DAB Core Rulebook, p. 422, Through patience, study, and/or immersion, you are able to speak another language or languages with native fluency. This represents a full command over the language. For each dot of Intelligence your character possesses, you may know one other language. You may also use this Merit to reflect secret codes, cants, jargon, or sign language as well. Additional languages increase the cost of this Merit by one point per language.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Pain Tolerance (2 pts)[/b][/color]"]Source: V20 Lore of the Clans Either because of personal proclivity or the rigors of Vicissitude, you have become acclimatized to pain. This affinity enables you to ignore one die of wound penalties. Thus, when you are Hurt or Injured, you suffer no penalties to actions. You suffer only a one-die penalty to action at the Wounded and Mauled states, and even Crippling injuries subtract four dice rather than five. You are still Incapacitated normally.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Merit 4[/b][/color]"] Source, Merit Description[/ooc] [font=georgia][size=4][b]FLAWS[/b][/size][/font] [ooc="[color=OrangeRed][b]Creeping Misfortune (1 pt)[/b][/color]"]You have suffered misfortune, She has suffered misfortune. Both of you have a talent for attracting misfortune. Unfortunately, your embrace did not fix this problem, if anything, it had made it more consistent. Perhaps that touch of the Fae was not a gift in its entirety. It’s the small things. Like it’s suddenly raining when you have to go out, or you accidentally take an empty inkwell with you. Sometimes, when you try to do something you find the odds are against you. What this means is that once per day, the ST may force you to reroll a successful roll and take that second result.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=OrangeRed][b]Rival Sire (??? pts)[/b][/color]"]Your embrace by the hands of another had greatly annoyed or insulted a vampire that wished to embrace you.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Enemy (2 pts)[/b][/color]"]There is a man in Soissons who has a finger in every pie. His network of informants and criminals extends over the city. When someone wants an enemy disappeared, they go to him. When someone wants something rare and difficult to obtain, they go to him. And when a slave-prostitute escapes, and her master wants her tracked down and returned, dead or alive, it is this man they go to. Lothar is his name, and he is one of the more prominent figures of Soissons' underworld. As many such men, Lothar started low, as a common cut-throat and criminal. He was good at what he did, and slowly but surely he gathered money and influence, and today he runs his own ring of schemes and businesses. One of his more succesful ventures is a protection racket for many of the city's brothels, one that includes punishments for the prostitutes that dare go against their masters' commands. In truth, Lothar is a sadist that does not accept failure, and he has the resources to pursue one as Aife even as far away as another kingdom, for it would be a stain on his reputation and his otherwise unblemished record to fail in this task. [b]How to use:[/b] You may use either Lothar or an unnamed underling of his as an NPC that intends to re-capture Aife and return her to her masters. He may attempt killing Aife and simply returning her head to her masters if met with considerable resistance (after all, her masters did say dead or alive - their main goal is to make an example of Aife, to deter other prostitutes). I'd rather not know what NPC may be one of Lothar's agents, so that Aife will always be on her toes! Though pursuing a lowly prostitute across such great distances over Europe, for almost 800 miles or so, may stretch believability, we can say that this is done for several reasons: (a) Aife's master actually was quite... ehm... fond of her, if you know what I mean, and wants her returned; (b) he also wants to make an example of her and (c) Lothar has great work ethic, for a criminal and cut-throat, and will simply refuse to accept failure. DAV Core Rulebook, p. 224. In your travels, you have earned the enmity of a person or organization. The severity and scope of this hatred is reflected by the rating of the Flaw. At 1 point, your enemy is an aggrieved peer or the irritation of an organization. You may be undercut, inconvenienced, or framed for petty crimes, but nothing so severe as attempts on your unlife. At 3 points, your enemy is your superior, or the anger of an important group. They make regular efforts to thwart your plans, threaten your allies, and undermine your standing with your clan and Road. At this level, your enemy may consider granting you the Final Death. Work this out with your Storyteller. At 5 points, your enemy is an elder or an entire organization, such as the ruling family of your nation or the Catholic Church. Your death is not out of the question. None of your associates are safe. Everywhere you go, you can expect your enemy to be waiting. What have you done to make someone so powerful so angry?[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Righteous Wrath (1 pt)[/b][/color]"]Source: Homebrew, but basically half a 'Short Fuse' flaw (from V20) You are easily angered. Difficulties to avoid frenzy are at +1.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Level 2 Blood Bond[/b][/color]"]Towards Tlachtga, her sire (source: story) _Action to directly harm sire requires Willpower roll modifier by Aife's Nature and how well/badly sire has been treating her. _Tlachtga's social rolls vs. Aife at -1 Diff.[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black][b]Flaw 6[/b][/color]"] Source, Flaw Description[/ooc] [ooc="[color=black]Clan Weakness: The Curse of Orpheus[/color]"]You see beauty in all things, however small or insignificant, and sorrow in all beauty. Perhaps such beauty is subtle testimony to the hand of a benevolent Creator in the shaping of the Universe, seeking to inspire hope in His children? Whatever the case, whether you view this condition as a curse or a blessing is ultimately deeply personal and extremely subjective. [B]Triggers:[/B] Perceived beauty, however small, even in the most unlikely of places. Especially beauty in the natural world (i.e. Creation), but also in the nobler aspects of humanity, such as the arts. Valid triggers might include: the way the night wind moves the trees, the way the leaves fall in automn, the way the light of the moon shines on the clouds, a moving song or an evocative painting. Triggers are left deliberately broad to allow the Storyteller varied use. [B]Effect:[/B] You are melancholic, introspective and contemplative by nature. When this Derangement is in effect, these characteristics are greatly magnified. Moreover, your deep melancholia and inward focus cause trouble in adapting quickly to changes in your environment. [U][B]Suffer -1 die to all Wits and Dexterity rolls.[/B][/U][/ooc][/center][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=30]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2][/floatleft][floatleft][img2=242]https://i.imgur.com/uRY994E.png[/img2] [center][font=georgia][size=4][b]ROAD[/b][/size][/font] [size=+2] ●●●●● ●●○○○[/size] [size=1][font=verdana]Aura: (No Modifier)[/font][/size] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [font=georgia][size=4][b]WILLPOWER[/b][/size][/font] [size=+2]●●●●● ●●○○○ [/size] [size=+2] □□□□□ □□□□□[/size] [img2=8]https://i.imgur.com/DXfU3gi.gif[/img2] [font=georgia][size=4][b]BLOOD POOL[/b][/size][/font] [size=+2]■□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□[/size] [size=1][font=verdana]Blood Per Turn: ■■■■■ ■[/font][/size][/center][/floatleft][center][font=georgia][size=4][b]RITUALS[/b][/size][/font] [font=georgia][size=4][b]LANGUAGES[/b][/size][/font] Pictish (Native), Old English (Germanic), Old Frankish, Lingua Franca (Free) [SPOILER="Freebies"][font=georgia][size=4][b]Freebies[/b][/size][/font] [B]Total Gained: 15[/B] [B][U]Bought:[/U][/B] - 5: Improve Perception from 2 to 3. -2: Improve Alertness from 2 to 3. -2: Improve Courage from 3 to 4. -4: Improve Willpower from 3 to 7. -2: Improve Empathy from 2 to 3. [B]Total Cost:[/B] 15 [/SPOILER] [SPOILER="Experience"][font=georgia][size=4][b]Experience[/b][/size][/font] [B]Current: 17[/B] [B]Total Spent: 31[/B] [B]Total Gained: 48[/B] [B][U]Bought:[/U][/B] [left]- (15 XP) (Auspex 1 --> 3), (After 'Fates of Many' dream sequence) - (12 XP) (Perception 3 --> 4), (After 'Fates of Many') - (3 XP) (Awareness 0 --> 1), (After 'Fates of Many') - (1 XP, & 1 Freebie from taking the 'Righteous Fury' 1 pt Flaw) (Pain Tolerance, a 2 pt Merit), (After 'Fates of Many')[/left] [/SPOILER] [/center]
11lESIZ.jpg
"Lacrimosa dies illa, qua resurget ex favilla. iudicandus homo reus: huic ergo parce Deus." Theme Songs Dies Irae The Hours Gone Yumeji's theme Name: Aife, daughter of Eirilich Gender: Female Race/Ethnicity: Pict UzyLRqd.png Height: Short-to-average Weight: Thin Age: 18 (almost) Apparent age: 18 UzyLRqd.png Date of Birth: 23rd of September 687 Sign: Libra Place of Birth: Unnamed village in Pictland Date of Death: 10th of August 705 Place of Death: Carnuntum, kingdom of the Avars

Personality

If Aife's personality had to be described with just one word, that word would be 'stoic'. Enduring hardship is her lot in life, and she has accepted it long ago with resignation and detachment. In the recent past, her actions were more often than not determined by fear: fear of being beaten or killed; fear of being abused in a myriad other ways; or fear of ending up a pennyless beggar. However, her faith in the teachings of Jesus has given her some measure of strength, and she is willing to stand up for her beliefs, and die for them if need be. Hardship and misery have taken a heavy toll on her, shaping her into a bleak and pragmatic woman, one eager to accept personal suffering, for that is all she has known in recent years. Yet they have also forged her into a very resilient individual, one of great strength of body and spirit. With the discovery of the teachings of Jesus, her suffering has found some semblance of meaning, as she believes that it ennobles her, much like the Passion of the Christ and His cricifixion ennobled Him. Indeed, she has placed all her hopes and dreams of justice in the afterlife, for she is convinced that they are not to be found in this ephemeral world. Thus she does not fear death, but fully accepts it as a release from the living hell that is her fate, and is eager to martyr herself like the saints she so admires. It is not only the idea of the afterlife and the Final Judgement that appeal to her. The social issues implicit in Jesus' teachings are equally important. Amongst Jesus' teachings, certain parables and sermons resonate particularly well: the Sermon on the Mount, His views regarding the wealthy and powerful ( (...) it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. ), and the fact that He would accept female students and followers, such as her beloved Mary Magdalene. She knows that she is a sinner, but no mortal is free from scene, and with the Grace of God she believes that, when she is judged, she will finally find understanding and acceptance, and be forgiven for her many transgressions (many of which were forced upon her), and allowed entry into Heaven. Yet she is not always sure of it, and such doubts torment her often. Moreover, though she fully accepts the teachings of the Son, she has difficulty in comprehending or even accepting the Father, Whose actions are described in the Old Testament. Indeed, she often finds the Son and the Father contradictory, and at times diametrically opposed: the former kind and fair, and the latter cruel and tyrranical. She dismisses such thoughts, however disturbing, believing instead that her lack of understanding come from a lack of knowledge, and often wishes that she could read. Finally, with her new faith, she has attained some measure of self-righteousness, and often is tempted to believe that her judgements of certain folk are, in fact, the same as God's judgements. She understands that such feelings constitute hubris and are sinful, but during difficult times her old, pagan self bleeds through, and she wishes she could be the vessel through which God's justice would finally be brought to bear upon those that are cruel and wicked towards those she loves. Though she is a Christian, she mistrusts the clergy and loathes organized Church. Her views are not coloured by deep knowledge of the Bible and theology - she is, after all, an illiterate slave-girl - but from personal experiences. In her eyes, the clerics are fat, rich parasites that only seek to exploit Christianity for their own goals; many are lust-driven drunkards little better than the cut-throats and criminals she has seen frequenting every brothel. Their organizations are perversions of the teachings of Jesus. The true bearers of the torch are the saints and the martyrs, the eremites and the true miracle-workers, and the most reclusive of monks, who have rejected society and its sins entirely.

|

Appearance

Her most striking features are her pale skin and grey eyes. Her face is decorated with freckles; her hair is long, black and unbraided and her mouth is small. There is deep, unspoken sorrow in those often downcast eyes. They bear silent testament to the many hardships she has endured. Her appearance and demeanour signify her as an exotic foreigner and a slave, a woman of great beauty that would easily stand out in a crowd and grasp the attention of many, men and women alike. Under other circumstances, it would be a blessing; for a low-class prostitute, however, it is a cruel curse that has only served to bring about greater suffering. Though her face has been spared from injury and disease, she bears scars on her back, the markings from countless lashings she suffered from her cruel masters as a child. Most of the scars are old, having healed long ago. For even as a child, Aife was quick to learn the lessons of her masters. Still, there are always those few sadists who enjoy beating slaves and whores on occasion. Sometimes, a new cut or fresh bruise will appear on her flesh, signifying some such unpleasant encounter. On the blade of her left shoulder she bears a small mark: the place where the burning brand of her captors seared her flesh with the thorn rune (ᚦ), signifying 'þeow' - the mark of a slave, which she must bear until her death. She is of short stature, and her frame is lightly build, giving the appearance of an extremely frail, almost malnourished individual. Despite this, she is of remarkable resilience, both physical and psychological, for she has learned to endure much suffering. Indeed, there is grace in her movements, often hidden by a simple, cheap tunic that also masks her silhouette. When she speaks, her eyes are often downcast, avoiding contact with those of her masters or clients, and her voice is quiet, as befits a thrall. Thus she seems submissive, yet detached and distant to most - untouched almost in spirit, though not in flesh, by her ordeals. Yet there is fire in her eyes, lying dormant and concealed, suggestive of a great strength of will. Rare is the occasion when it is seen, and briefer yet is the time that it persists, but it can manifest in prayer, or when she recalls memories from her childhood in Pictland.

|

Background

Background Part 1 - Life in Pictland
twimZUD.jpg
The Tundra, arcipello (Deviantart)
(...) “From that time the hopes and strength of the Anglian kingdom began to ebb and fall away; for the Picts recovered their own lands, which had been held by the English, and so did also the Scots that were in Britain; and some of the Britons regained their liberty...” “To all of us slavery is a thing unknown; there are no lands beyond us, and even the sea is not safe, menaced as we are by a Roman fleet.”
Tacitus: Calgacus' Speech to his Troops
“O Caledonia! stern and wild, Meet nurse for a poetic child! Land of brown heath and shaggy wood, Land of the mountain and the flood, Land of my sires! what mortal hand Can e'er untie the filial band That knits me to thy rugged strand!”
Walter Scott, The Lay of the Last Minstrel
She was born in Pictland, in a village north of the Firth of Forth, its name long lost from the histories. The year was 687, and the month was September, a time when the falling leaves marked the passing into winter. She was one of many children to be born after the battle of Nechtansmere, a catastrophic defeat for Northumbria that marked the rise of its Pictish rivals in the North, who could at last shake off the cruel yoke of the Anglo-Saxons. Aife was the only child of the chieftain, Eirilich the wise, and his wife, Morwen. Eirilich was a warrior of great renown, having fought at Nechtansmere against the hated Northumbrians, a follower of the old ways, and of the raven-goddess Morrigan in particular. For his role in the battle he was richly rewarded and he rose to become a leader of men, the chief of his village. Aife's mother was a midwife and story-teller, a figure as important to the village as her husband. She worshipped Brigantia and taught her daughter many tales and legends of her peoples when Aife was but a child. She was a wild child, full of mirth and laughter and curiosity, and often ventured into the surrounding lands, despite the dangers, to spy on the folk from the other villages. From a young age her beauty was apparent, and she was named for it, and she was treated well and with respect, and she had many friends in those few happy years. She was six when the Northumbrians came from the south, with painted shields, long spears and bright swords, seeking vengeance. They caught the Picts unawares and raided many villages. The men were killed, and Aife saw with her own eyes her father cut down by many. As for the women and children, they sold them into slavery. And though Morwen survived the raid, she was soon after separated from her daughter, and Aife wonders still what happened to her, though she holds on to no hope.
Background Part 2-Life in Londinium
qUHFDPI.jpg
Frederic Leighton, Captive Andromache
“So spoke the wanderer, mindful of sorrow, of battles ruinous, lands that lie fallow, spears that were splintered, shield-wall that shattered, the war-band scattered and mead-hall plundered. Of the death of his kinsmen, of the downfall of kings, and of warriors shamed, undeserving sword-rings.”
Loosely based on the Anglo-Saxon poem The Wanderer (unknown)
At first she was defiant. She was, after all, but a child, unused to the chains of thralldom, and to being without a family. That first year of captivity was in many ways the worst: she suffered beatings, starvation and confinement, and twice she was brought to death's doorstep, though she recovered. She changed many masters, for few wished to keep her after witnessing her insubordination. She learned the hard way, but the lessons of slavery were eventually impressed upon her, much like the burning brand on her shoulder. The ordeal transformed her entirely, and she thought herself a living corpse, with just enough will left to do her masters' bidding. Things became easier after she accepted her fate and station. She was eventually sold to the House of an Eldorman in Londinium, where she would serve as a household slave until she came of age. Of the many abuses she suffered there we shall not speak. We will only say that her master did not wish to part with her, but that his need was such that he was forced to sell her. He was desperate for gold, and so he arranged for her to be sold to another lord, who would in turn ship her to Francia, where she would fetch a good price, as an exotic exhibit from the North.
Background Part 3-Life in Soissons
El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg
The Garden of Earthly Delights, Hieronymus Bosch
The time is now propitious, as he guesses, The meal is ended, she is bored and tired, Endeavours to engage her in caresses Which still are unreproved, if undesired. Flushed and decided, he assaults at once; Exploring hands encounter no defence; His vanity requires no response, And makes a welcome of indifference. (And I Tiresias have foresuffered all Enacted on this same divan or bed; I who have sat by Thebes below the wall And walked among the lowest of the dead.) Bestows one final patronising kiss, And gropes his way, finding the stairs unlit . . . She turns and looks a moment in the glass, Hardly aware of her departed lover; Her brain allows one half-formed thought to pass: “Well now that’s done: and I’m glad it’s over.”
T. S. Eliot, The Waste Land
The first weeks felt similar to the nightmarish months that followed her capture: life was hard, and she did not speak the language. The purpose for which her masters intended her quickly became apparent. It was a prospect she long dreaded, but there was little she could do about it. Life in the brothel was harsh, rife with exploitation, though there were a few that were kind to her. From them she learned the language. Even so, this new life was difficult to endure. She cried silently when she was alone, and came close to taking her own life on more than one occasion, though she could not muster the courage to see it to the end. It is likely that she would have succeeded eventually, had she continued going about her existance without discovering the Faith. It was in the cathedral of Soissons, after seeing the icons and carvings that depicted the tale of Jesus' life from birth to death, where she felt a connection with Him. She had not felt like this before, not even in Britain, where she had encountered Christians, though they had not impressed her. Perhaps there was something unique about the images, which in combination with her miserable life in the brothel led her to seek to know more about this Jesus and his students. She did not know how to read, and she understood no Latin and little Frankish back then. From the icons she was able to piece together some of the tales of Jesus' life, or so she thought, but her curiosity grew. So she turned to her peers, the women of the brothel where she worked. Some of them were Christians, and they taught her what they knew. The more she learned about Jesus, the more she identified with Him. It was easy to do: His tale was the universal tale of the plight of the weak and their exploitation by the rich and the powerful, the evil men that led mankind. Little had changed since He walked the Earth, Aife thought, but there was hope still. For Jesus also spoke of justice in the afterlife - God's justice! A day would come when the poor and the innocent would be rewarded, while the rich, the powerful and the sinners would burn in Hell for all eternity; a just punishment for their cruelty. If she had any faith in the Church, she was quickly disillusioned. Though the priests were eager to preach, she soon discovered that they were no better than other men, corrupted by power. She sought to confess once. The priest seemed kind and wise and knowledgeable, and did not turn her down, despite her profession. Yet when they were alone he revealed that he lusted after her, and when words would not avail him, he attacked her. She slapped him back with a swiftness and ferocity that surprised even her, and the priest, humiliated, did nothing to prevent her escape. Thankfully, that was the last she heard of him; the incident did much to colour her views on monks and the clergy. Despite of all the hardships and misery, the Faith brought some sense of meaning in her suffering. She became more patient, and able to endure even more. To her masters, this was good, for it made her even more obedient than before - a good slave, one they could trust with any task. And thus the years did pass. She nodded quietly and played along. Secretely, she dreamt of the fires of Hell that awaited them...
Background Part 4-The dreams
OYod5XZ.jpg Francesco Hayez, Crucifixion with Mary Magdalene Kneeling and Weeping
“There are three Powers, three unique Forces upon earth, capable of conquering for ever by charming the conscience of these weak rebels--men--for their own good; and these Forces are: Miracle, Mystery and Authority.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Grand Inquisitor
They first came after a particularly nasty encounter with a brutish customer, that left her beaten and unconscious. In her dream, she saw a saintly figure, dressed simply like a woman of her own station. She told her that she was Mary Magdalene, a prostitute like her, but also much more than that. For she was a disciple of Jesus, and she had walked with Him, broken bread with Him, washed His feet at the Last Supper and been with Him till the bitter end. She had witnessed His crucufixion, His burial and His resurrection, and it was she that brought the news to the apostles. The apostles of the apostles she was, and she had been watching Aife from Heaven, and she told her that Jesus had a special purpose for her. The dreams continued, each of them more vivid than the last, more real than the waking world. And with each dream Aife experienced something new, something truly life-changing and transcendental. In each dream, Mary asked Aife to take her hand; when Aife did, she could see scenes from Jesus' life, as if she were Mary herself: the Last Supper, the Passion, the crucifixion upon Golgotha and the tomb of the Christ. She saw it all, and she was filled with awe. Magdalene told her that few knew the Truth - the actual Truth of Jesus' life and teachings. Only saints and martyrs, prophets and eremites had been able to learn it, and only at the end of their lives, with the Grace of God. The church only preached lies. But Magdalene told Aife that she was sent by Jesus to tell her that she was deemed worthy by the Lord, and that she was destined to hear the Truth. To the lands of the Avars she should go, to the village of Carnuntum, to prove that she had Faith, and that she was worthy. There, Magdalene would appear to her again, and there she would know the Truth and with it, Salvation.

|

Patron

eIceoTm.jpg
Mary Magdalene, the repentant prostitute who washed Jesus' feet and witnessed His crucifixion, burial and resurrection. Her tale is testament not only to the possibility of salvation, even for one as sinful as Aife, but also to the respect and kindness Jesus showed to women, starkly contrasting the attitudes of the clerics and even the Father. Moreover, although Aife does not know it, much of the Gnostic Christian tradition and heresies have high regard for Mary Magdalene, and there is even an apocriphal Gospel that could potentially be attributed to Mary. Aife is uneducated, but a powerful spiritual patron (or even the vampiric sire) with interest in / knowledge of such matters could easily impress Aife with such Gnostic teachings, and she would be desperate to unlock the Truth and gain understanding of God.

|

Themes

More than hooks, I think themes are important in the long run for any character and any narrative. By themes I mean some kind of central question or conflict that can be brought to the forefront by a particular character or scene, and explored through role-playing and the development of the story. I always think that any story is more about just the protagonists (in this case the PCs); they are just proxies by which such ideas can be explored. I think that they would be useful to know, and I think that if I were the GM, they would be very informative to me, so I provide some ideas here. However, feel free to ignore them if that's not your style. One of the reasons I really like this character is the potential to explore many diverse themes. I briefly outline some possibilities below. _Paganism vs. Christianity _Orthodoxy vs. Heresy _The Father (Old Testament God) vs. the Son (New Testament God) _Vengeance vs. Forgiveness _Faith and freedom (free will) _Stoicism and acceptance vs. revolt _Humility vs. Hubris _Power, responsibility and corruption _Enlightenment, ascendance, transcendence _Empowerment of women _Trauma and healing

Hopes

|

Fears

|

Quest

Background Part 5-The quest
All this was a long time ago, I remember, and I would do it again, but set down this set down this: were we led all that way for Birth or Death? There was a Birth, certainly, we had evidence and no doubt. I had seen birth and death, but had thought they were different; this Birth was hard and bitter agony for us, like Death, our death.
T. S. Eliot, Journey of the Magi
Aife never doubted the dreams, and she needed no further encouragement to embark on the journey. The distance, however great, did not matter to her, nor did she care that she did not know the way. And though she was a slave, and naturally she feared escaping, she knew that she had to. For the voices had told her what to do, and she dared not question them - she dared not question God. The opportunity quickly presented itself, as mundane as any, when she was asked to run an errand for her matron. She simply left, but not before stealing a cloak, a robe, a kitchen-knife, a walking stick, a loaf of bread and a pair of sandals. With only those meagre belongings and no plan whatsoever, she escaped. On the road, she felt at the same time terrified and elated. She constantly worried about her master pursuing her, and was always looking over her shoulder. But this was also the first time since her childhood that she was free, and freedom tasted sweet. She had almost forgotten it, but now she remembered, and her childhood memories came flooding back. She knew no-one and had nothing, save but the dreams, which were her constant companion. Mary urged her on, ever forward. She did anything she could to survive. At night, she hid in stables and farmhouses, and when she could not find such shelter, she slept under the open sky. She stole when she could; she begged when she could not. And when all other options were unavailable, she sold herself, though she resented doing it. She placed her faith in Jesus and her dreams, and she did not feel guilty for her actions. For she was following the visions, and she was doing what Mary had told her to do. She arrived in Carnuntum starved, with blood and blisters on her feet, her cloak in tatters, having survived more than one near-misses. But she was here, and that was all that mattered. Her heart beat loudly in her chest; her hands trembled; hed head felt light as she approached the temple from her dreams...

|

Childhood Story

|

Other

cqZMzAE.png DARK AGES: VAMPIRE IWabuwL.png
DXfU3gi.gif
uRY994E.png
Name: Patron: Concept: .
Aife Mary Magdalene Lost childe
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
Nature: Demeanor: Road: .
RebelRegain a point of Willpower whenever your actions adversely affect your chosen opposition. Rebel Humanity
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
Clan: Generation: . Sire:
Malkavian 6thMax Traits: 7 Blood Pool: 30 Blood per turn: 6 Tlachtga of Ériu
cqZMzAE.png ATTRIBUTES IWabuwL.png
DXfU3gi.gif
uRY994E.png
PHYSICAL (7)
Strength Dexterity Lithe - She is flexible and moves with a minimalist elegance, even if she is oblivious of it herself. Something of the grace of Fairy is about her fluid motions, though it's hard to put a finger on it. Stamina Resilient - Exposed to countless hardships, physical or psychological, Aife nevertheless survived.
●●○○○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
SOCIAL (5)
Charisma Manipulation Appearance Exotic - This daughter of Caledonia is fair and pale, and possesses features that make her stand out in continental Europe, marking her as a strange, foreign beauty.
●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●●○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
MENTAL (3)
Perception Discerning - She is a good judge of character. She had to be to survive enslavement. Intelligence Wits
●●●●○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○
cqZMzAE.png ABILITIES IWabuwL.png
DXfU3gi.gif
uRY994E.png
TALENTS (13)
Alertness Athletics Awareness Brawl Empathy Expression Intimidation Leadership Legerdemain Subterfuge
●●●○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
SKILLS (9)
Animal Ken Archery Commerce Crafts Etiquette Melee Performance Field of Expertise: Singing Ride Stealth Survival
○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●●○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
KNOWLEDGES (5)
Academics Enigmas Hearth Wisdom Investigation Law Medicine Occult Politics Seneschal Theology
○○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○
cqZMzAE.png ADVANTAGES IWabuwL.png
DXfU3gi.gif
uRY994E.png
DISCIPLINES
Auspex Dementation Obfuscate
●●●○○ ○○ ●○○○○ ○○ ●●○○○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
BACKGROUNDS
Background 1 Background 2 Background 3
○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○ ○○○○○ ○○
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
VIRTUES
Conviction/Conscience Instinct/Self-Control Courage
●●●●○ ●●●○○ ●●●●○
cqZMzAE.png AND EVERYTHING ELSE IWabuwL.png
DXfU3gi.gif
uRY994E.png
MERITS Fae-touched (4 pts) Source: A Krasna homebrew You have been marked by something, whether intended or unintended. From Her— the blood of your veins? Or from something else within you, or outside of you. Perhaps it is odd, or even ironic, that you are as such, or perhaps it was meant to be. Your presence does not frighten faeries; indeed it attracts them, and you find yourself naturally attuned to their ways. Cainites can be quite distasteful to the Fae, but you are different. You are not so drenched by banality that you could even possibly enter Arcadia, the mystical kingdom of the Fae. Provided you find the entrance. That itself is a task and not a guarantee. Also, keep in mind that you are easier to enchant by Fae. For good or worse. All Social rolls to interact with the Fair Folk are always at a -2 Difficulty. In addition, somehow you can manifest the Discipline Mytherceria without the need of a mentor. However, this will still be an out of clan Discipline with all costs associated. Some will question your knowledge of such a power if you ever display to anyone as a non-Kiasyd. Multi-lingual (2 pts) Having spent much time as a slave in Britain and a prostitute in the lands of the Franks, Aife has picked up the languages of these peoples and can speak Old English (Germanic) and Old Frankish semi-competently. DAB Core Rulebook, p. 422, Through patience, study, and/or immersion, you are able to speak another language or languages with native fluency. This represents a full command over the language. For each dot of Intelligence your character possesses, you may know one other language. You may also use this Merit to reflect secret codes, cants, jargon, or sign language as well. Additional languages increase the cost of this Merit by one point per language. Pain Tolerance (2 pts) Source: V20 Lore of the Clans Either because of personal proclivity or the rigors of Vicissitude, you have become acclimatized to pain. This affinity enables you to ignore one die of wound penalties. Thus, when you are Hurt or Injured, you suffer no penalties to actions. You suffer only a one-die penalty to action at the Wounded and Mauled states, and even Crippling injuries subtract four dice rather than five. You are still Incapacitated normally. Merit 4 Source, Merit Description FLAWS Creeping Misfortune (1 pt) You have suffered misfortune, She has suffered misfortune. Both of you have a talent for attracting misfortune. Unfortunately, your embrace did not fix this problem, if anything, it had made it more consistent. Perhaps that touch of the Fae was not a gift in its entirety. It’s the small things. Like it’s suddenly raining when you have to go out, or you accidentally take an empty inkwell with you. Sometimes, when you try to do something you find the odds are against you. What this means is that once per day, the ST may force you to reroll a successful roll and take that second result. Rival Sire (??? pts) Your embrace by the hands of another had greatly annoyed or insulted a vampire that wished to embrace you. Enemy (2 pts) There is a man in Soissons who has a finger in every pie. His network of informants and criminals extends over the city. When someone wants an enemy disappeared, they go to him. When someone wants something rare and difficult to obtain, they go to him. And when a slave-prostitute escapes, and her master wants her tracked down and returned, dead or alive, it is this man they go to. Lothar is his name, and he is one of the more prominent figures of Soissons' underworld. As many such men, Lothar started low, as a common cut-throat and criminal. He was good at what he did, and slowly but surely he gathered money and influence, and today he runs his own ring of schemes and businesses. One of his more succesful ventures is a protection racket for many of the city's brothels, one that includes punishments for the prostitutes that dare go against their masters' commands. In truth, Lothar is a sadist that does not accept failure, and he has the resources to pursue one as Aife even as far away as another kingdom, for it would be a stain on his reputation and his otherwise unblemished record to fail in this task. How to use: You may use either Lothar or an unnamed underling of his as an NPC that intends to re-capture Aife and return her to her masters. He may attempt killing Aife and simply returning her head to her masters if met with considerable resistance (after all, her masters did say dead or alive - their main goal is to make an example of Aife, to deter other prostitutes). I'd rather not know what NPC may be one of Lothar's agents, so that Aife will always be on her toes! Though pursuing a lowly prostitute across such great distances over Europe, for almost 800 miles or so, may stretch believability, we can say that this is done for several reasons: (a) Aife's master actually was quite... ehm... fond of her, if you know what I mean, and wants her returned; (b) he also wants to make an example of her and (c) Lothar has great work ethic, for a criminal and cut-throat, and will simply refuse to accept failure. DAV Core Rulebook, p. 224. In your travels, you have earned the enmity of a person or organization. The severity and scope of this hatred is reflected by the rating of the Flaw. At 1 point, your enemy is an aggrieved peer or the irritation of an organization. You may be undercut, inconvenienced, or framed for petty crimes, but nothing so severe as attempts on your unlife. At 3 points, your enemy is your superior, or the anger of an important group. They make regular efforts to thwart your plans, threaten your allies, and undermine your standing with your clan and Road. At this level, your enemy may consider granting you the Final Death. Work this out with your Storyteller. At 5 points, your enemy is an elder or an entire organization, such as the ruling family of your nation or the Catholic Church. Your death is not out of the question. None of your associates are safe. Everywhere you go, you can expect your enemy to be waiting. What have you done to make someone so powerful so angry? Righteous Wrath (1 pt) Source: Homebrew, but basically half a 'Short Fuse' flaw (from V20) You are easily angered. Difficulties to avoid frenzy are at +1. Level 2 Blood Bond Towards Tlachtga, her sire (source: story) _Action to directly harm sire requires Willpower roll modifier by Aife's Nature and how well/badly sire has been treating her. _Tlachtga's social rolls vs. Aife at -1 Diff. Flaw 6 Source, Flaw Description Clan Weakness: The Curse of Orpheus You see beauty in all things, however small or insignificant, and sorrow in all beauty. Perhaps such beauty is subtle testimony to the hand of a benevolent Creator in the shaping of the Universe, seeking to inspire hope in His children? Whatever the case, whether you view this condition as a curse or a blessing is ultimately deeply personal and extremely subjective. Triggers: Perceived beauty, however small, even in the most unlikely of places. Especially beauty in the natural world (i.e. Creation), but also in the nobler aspects of humanity, such as the arts. Valid triggers might include: the way the night wind moves the trees, the way the leaves fall in automn, the way the light of the moon shines on the clouds, a moving song or an evocative painting. Triggers are left deliberately broad to allow the Storyteller varied use. Effect: You are melancholic, introspective and contemplative by nature. When this Derangement is in effect, these characteristics are greatly magnified. Moreover, your deep melancholia and inward focus cause trouble in adapting quickly to changes in your environment. Suffer -1 die to all Wits and Dexterity rolls.
uRY994E.png
uRY994E.png
ROAD ●●●●● ●●○○○ Aura: (No Modifier) DXfU3gi.gif WILLPOWER ●●●●● ●●○○○ □□□□□ □□□□□ DXfU3gi.gif BLOOD POOL ■□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ Blood Per Turn: ■■■■■ ■
RITUALS LANGUAGES Pictish (Native), Old English (Germanic), Old Frankish, Lingua Franca (Free)

"Freebies"

Freebies Total Gained: 15 Bought: - 5: Improve Perception from 2 to 3. -2: Improve Alertness from 2 to 3. -2: Improve Courage from 3 to 4. -4: Improve Willpower from 3 to 7. -2: Improve Empathy from 2 to 3. Total Cost: 15

"Experience"

Experience Current: 17 Total Spent: 31 Total Gained: 48 Bought:

- (15 XP) (Auspex 1 --> 3), (After 'Fates of Many' dream sequence) - (12 XP) (Perception 3 --> 4), (After 'Fates of Many') - (3 XP) (Awareness 0 --> 1), (After 'Fates of Many') - (1 XP, & 1 Freebie from taking the 'Righteous Fury' 1 pt Flaw) (Pain Tolerance, a 2 pt Merit), (After 'Fates of Many')