Out of Character thread

Vladim

4 hours ago, thesloth said:

I feel like the quality of our narrative efforts should earn us something. Stumpy and I have both been knocking that out of the park.

It's funny you should say that as I was discussing about this topic more broadly over at the GM channel of the MW Discord server.

Back when we were doing first edition, I would have lowered the TN, by one level usually (-2). Or suggest a trait to be used for an auto success.

This second edition is making it a bit trickier for me. Traits work differently (and you need hope to use them in a meaningful way). TNs are tied to attributes (20-attribute) and not really adjustable, unless I am missing a rule exception. I can give a bonus d6 to represent a more favorable circumstance (this is how 2nd edition gets around the "give them some reward for good RP/thinking"), but we're already doing that so...

I was inclined to have you fail with Geb; I don't mind horribly if you lose this one as it reinforces these grimdark scenes. But I'm open to suggestions!

I was thinking more like an "echo" in the world lore. With orcs and goblins reminding one another to beware "the silver tongue Rangers" or "never let the Rangers speak with slaves" something that implies we had an impact without necessarily upsetting the grim scene that has trickled down through the ages.

But I'm not quite sure anything we do here would translate into the waking world since it ain't real.

14 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I was thinking more like an "echo" in the world lore. With orcs and goblins reminding one another to beware "the silver tongue Rangers" or "never let the Rangers speak with slaves" something that implies we had an impact without necessarily upsetting the grim scene that has trickled down through the ages.

But I'm not quite sure anything we do here would translate into the waking world since it ain't real.

It isn't real, in fact, but I've hidden a clue in plain sight that may have some bearing on the wider narrative. See if you can spot it, but don't torture yourself too much! 

Thanks. This next bit splits the party (or what's left of it); the dice have decided that Arton gets to fight (a pretty hopeless fight too...), and Thammegil will have another task to do.

Then we're back to the real Middle-earth world to determine Irimë's fate and conclude the adventure. Huzzah!

2 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Good job you mentioned that we're intended to be split ... I was going to post something along the lines of Thammegil attacking the Orc in a futile gesture ... which would probably have just gotten him killed anyway.

I mean... He still could, we don't have to stick to the script 100%. I'm sure we can improvise. Up to you!

23 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I ret-conned a distraction attack for Thammegil. I feel like two Rangers in captivity for many weeks would have discussed exactly such things.

Exactly this.  Although I suspect that we're both about to experience the mother of all beatdowns!

Yup, that makes perfect sense. The adventure as written has one PC thrown into the arena for sport, but maybe we can have both of you thrown in now.

I suggested some mechanics for the beatdown, let me know what you think!