Sheet Folders in Testing ×

The Sheetroll Discussion

Eric

Greetings! The OGMW post editor included a capability called sheetrolls (aka sheetdice depending on the resulting layout you prefer), which allowed users to make rolls that relied on information from sheets they had attached to their games. While useful, the feature suffers from two main weaknesses:

1. It was built in a time when D20 (in particular, D&D 3/3.5) was king, so the system essentially assumes a 1d20 roll in most cases.
  2. It has no knowledge of what is actually useful to roll in a given system. For example, here's me rolling with a D&D 2e character's experience points to next level:

image.png.ef90407dc55e05f734105585667ff7e4.png

My goal is to make this feature useful for all game systems played on the Weave. To do that, I need your help! I don't play every system, so I don't have enough knowledge to build out what you need to play. Therefore, I've put together this Google sheet to capture "valid" (aka useful) rolls by game system.

Sheet Rolls By System

Everyone should have edit privileges, so feel free to go to town without waiting for me. The system you want doesn't have a tab? Make one. An existing roll needs more information? Add it. Myth-Weavers doesn't have a sheet for a system you want to roll dice for? Note that down so we can include it when we start adding new sheets.

Thanks in advance, and let's get to weaving more myths!

I know you said you were still working on the interface in the other thread so we might not be here yet, but are the results of sheetrolls going to be modifiable with dice or just flat modifiers?  I know you noted the need to add temporary modifiers in one of the original dice threads about the Baldr roller, but for example Bless in 5e adds 1d4 to some types of rolls, so you'd want to do Skillname (or Attack etc) + 1d4(+etc.)

Also, are the existing rolls in the spreadsheet from anywhere real or is it just pseudocode when it says for example:

for(i=weaponNab;i>0;i-=5) {1d20+i;weaponNdamage} 

I ask as if it's a valid sheetroll string I'd be curious what else there is available for the sheetroll roll syntax (conditional/ternary type operations?) - I haven't seen (or found) anything before saying other things beyond the given dice rolling functions would work (not that I know how sheets work) but that's pretty cool if any do!

8 hours ago, melange said:

are the results of sheetrolls going to be modifiable with dice or just flat modifiers? 

Both should be possible, in theory.

8 hours ago, melange said:

Also, are the existing rolls in the spreadsheet from anywhere real or is it just pseudocode

It's just pseudocode. The parser will not be a fully fledged programming language 😄 

TheWhiteFire asked a great question over on Discord. Specifically, "What level of detail are you looking for with the rolls?"

My answer: "Any level of detail is fine." It doesn't need to be pseudocode or actual code; "roll 2d8 and add strength modifier" would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I) Yes, if you have multiple sheets or are the GM, you can select from those sheets.

II) Currently, only by placing that roll in a private thread. Private rolls within a particular post have been requested; the challenge there is it requires the Dice Tower to have more knowledge of Baldr than it currently does.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is the proper thread, but I'd second the request for private rolls in a DM post. I hate having to switch between threads to reference secret checks. The alternative of just making all checks open can be a bit lackluster too. When I look around at other change requests here, a check box to make a roll private would probably be the biggest quality of life improvement to me.