Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Terror on the Farm

GaryD20

Mordel

"That might give us some leeway..tend to the wounded, make some plans, maybe some procurements.spacer.png

Tell us, please, is there a place around here that could provide us lodging, for a few days, maybe? Until we put an end to this, that is." , he asks Aelric.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"Hm, likely we will be dealing with more than one creature," Mort sighed. "We should check out the holes to see if that will provide any hints as to what to expect, at least with regard to size."

spacer.png
spacer.png

Getting the young man's name, Gemlia nodded then looked at him. She smiled, patted his shoulder and said softly, "Barth, rest well. Know this'll pass. Don't focus on it, aye?"

Pushing herself to her feet and collecting her gear, Gemlia walked back to the rest of her companions.

"So, we're checkin' holes then? Only caught bits an' pieces o' what ye said."

Cracking her knuckles and taking a moment to stretch, she added, "Well, c'mon, th' forge ain't stayin' hot forever. As we say in my clan, shit 'er get off th' pot."

image.png.f6d14da6fb95b951c27ca979c322f025.png

"Aye," Aelric says with a nod to Mordel. He indicates a barn off in the distance. "You can put up there. Up in the hayloft. It's pleasant enough. Plenty of room and an advantageous view I would think."

The old farmer turns and begins heading off in the direction of the half eaten cow. It lies not far from the barn. As the companions draw nearer they see a corral that they hadn't noticed before coming off the backside of the barn. A section of the fencing has been knock down and scattered, which is why it wasn't noticed before. Just inside the fence line a hole, roughly three feet in diameter, can be seen. The cows blood and entrails litter the ground around it.

"There is another one over there," Aelric says pointing to the edge of a nearby cornfield, close to where the body of Larz lies. The first few rows have been trampled down and another hole can be seen.  

"Can you make anything of it? I can't. I've never seen anything like this in my life." Aelric looks at the party expectantly. 

Edited by GaryD20 (see edit history)

Mordel

"Thank you, the hayloft would be perfect, I believe.". he says to Aelric, then follows him. "I don't think these holes resemblespacer.png anything I've encountered so far, but let me check quickly." With that, he squats near the hole, prodding it, looking for any claw marks, fur residuum or any other such traces.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Gemlia walked to the pointed-out rows of trampled corn. She knelt down to look the holes over, looking for any tracks or blood or something that might indicate a direction. She also stuck the handle of her mace into each hole to measure the depth; she knew better than to just shove her hand in there.

Name
Wisdom check?
1d20+1 19

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"Would you be able to provide bait?" Mort asks Aelric. "Something we could tether here, where we would have a close view from the hayloft. Perhaps you have livestock that is sick, injured, or a runt you could spare?"

Investigating the hole at the corral, Mordel doesn't find any claw marks or footprints. Nor fur. He does find what seems to be a gunk of some short of slimy substance mixed in with the dirt. 

At the cornfield, Gemlia observes the hole to be roughly 2 to three feet wide (hard to tell exactly as the soil is very loose and pliable). Good dirt for growing crops. Probing the hole with her mace, she discovers the hole to be fairly shallow. It seems to penetrate just below the surface a few feet and turns back towards the forest. 

image.png.f6d14da6fb95b951c27ca979c322f025.png

Turning to Mort, Aelric says, "Nothing sickly or runtly, but if it means stopping this creature from killing another person I'll gladly supply whatever I have as bait, if you think it will be of use." 

Mordel

He's still deepn in thought when Mordel walks back to the others after checking out that hole. spacer.png

"What leaves such a slime..?" He doesn't want to interrupt the discussion with Aelric, so he waits until they're finished, then relays what he found out. "Do you have any idea what creature could it be?", he asks his companions. "I can't recall anything with such an outer layer. For all I know, it can be blasted ghouls or other such fabled undead creatures.", he adds, a bit nervously.

Turning to Aelric: "Thank you, while we don't want to take the healthy ones from you, we may not have another choice. We accept any help we receive", says, slightly bowing his head.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Making her way back to the group, Gemlia offered, "No, I don't. But whate'er it is, s'in the forest. Couple feet wide at least. I don't know anythin' that big an' burrows."

She paused to look at her companions. "If we're stayin' out here all fussy-like, Kharn an' I c'n make sure nothin' gets whate'er we're using fer bait. You keep yer torches up out o' th' way so's we c'n see in th' dark."

Looking at one of the barns, she continued, "When th' thing shows up we jump from the shadows--" she smashed her fist into her palm, "Boom. Dwarf time."

Gray Greencastle
https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Gray knows full well, dwarf time is a good thing.  He’s been around his stout clerical friend just long enough to know that!

“Yes, I will lend sword and wit to help stand stalwart sentry.  For that whatever takes the bait, will have to take ME!  Or, something!”

Gray looks for good places to set up and stand watch. 

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!

Mordel

"It would be a good effort to organize a night watch, at least for the next few nights ahead. spacer.pngIt goes without saying that you have my eyes and sword among the watchers.", says Mordel to Aelric and his companions, as well.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)