Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Chapter 2 — The Long and Winding Road

iantruesilver

"Walk the soil.  Feel the breeze kiss your skin and taste the crisp spring waters.  Hear the rustling grass of the plains and see your next victory on the horizon.  That is what it means to be truly free."

— Soyka Tenkiller, Ghost Wolf tribeswoman

spacer.png

After navigating the tracks through the thick prairie pastures for almost an hour, they finally come across a road of sorts, not something that's been marked by the laying of gravel or aggregate perhaps, but definitely well-impressioned by frequent use.  Tracks, bootprints and ruts clearly delineate the passing of sufficient vehicle and foot traffic, and the surrounding reeds and bushes have not grown over into the well-trodden soil of the roadway.

It doesn't take too long for some passersby to come along and point the way to the nearest spot of civilization, and the group learns that they are about ten miles or so out from Hajoth Hakados, where most of them last rememebered they had been, prior to waking up in the cultist lair.  From there, it takes a couple more hours to reach a place where the road seems to follow to the left of a river that's at least a hundred feet wide.

spacer.png

The sky is already completely dark as the group nears the edge of town, where a grand, engraved stone wall protects the properties and residents within.  To the left of the gates is a small grove and some outlying buildings, overlooking some plots of farmland.  On the other side, a stone bridge stretches over the shores of the Sellen River, with more scattered buildings on the opposite bank.

This, is Hajoth Hakados, "The Velvet Caress of the North".

[[ Map — Hajoth Hakados ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 4/11  | AC 18(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

T'Sarra looked around as they pulled in thankful for civilization. Or what passed for it around here.

"Waterfall showers are nice and all, but I can't wait to get to an inn with a bath. We should go over all the spoils we pulled from the cultist's den, decide if we're keeping anything and sell the rest to split the spoils. It's like were a mercenary company or something!" she laughed, in good spirits for escaping

"Then better get back to Torch and see what's happening there. I suppose you could make a case to return to the cultist's den and wipe it out, but I'd be happy to never see that place again."

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 4/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

Hero points: 1/1

"Seconded," Vri simply said.  She too was looking forward to a) a nice bath, b) a glass of wine and c) more of b.

"At least now we know where we are," she added as she recognised the some of the buildings, "Hajoth Hakados.  Not the most interesting of cities, but I'm sure we can sell our stuff here and obtain such supplies as we need."

OOC

none

spacer.pngVal ponders, "Does anyone have any memories about where they were at, what inn they were staying in, or what places they visited before we woke up in that strange dream and then in the cult den?  I remember that Hajoth Hakados was my destination... before I blacked out."

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

spacer.pngAt the gate, the guards give the adventurers little trouble, assuming perhaps that you might be some weary adventuring group come back from some local enterprise.  As the group drives through the main streets of the the Homeshore District of Hajoth Hakados, things are quiet except for a couple of drunkards making a raucous some distance down a narrow alley to your right.

Barhuce, Rain, T'Sarra, Val and Vri

A brief look down this alley and the door from which the drunkards spilled out of, jogs your memory and reminds you that this is the last place you remember stumbling into before waking up in a cage inside the cultists' lair.

However, this doesn't look like the Plump Pearl Inn, where your group had booked into when you arrived here in the small city after your water sampling duties down the Seven Tears River were complete.

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce looks down the alleyway and shivers. "I think.... I think I remember going there. Lets not go there again if we can help it. I'm thinking we check to see if we still have spaces at the Plump Pearl."

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 7/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack7 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
Condition None

"Indeed," Vri said, "If that's where we got taken, we best go somewhere else first.  And maybe tomorrow we can have sniff around to see if people there know something."

She would move on to the Plump Pearl.

OOC

none

spacer.pngVal nods, "Let's keep moving to the Plump Pearl.  We can discuss all of our plans there at the inn, and lets avoid any other checks or destinations."  The young investigator will move to the front of the wagon and begin leading it if nobody else is doing it, but she will stay open to discussions along the way, she is just keeping the forward momentum going.

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

spacer.pngPassing the dark, narrow alley behind, the two horse-drawn carts weave through some of the main streets of the Homeshore District, then across the four hundred foot span of stone bridge across the Seven Tears River, bringing you to the Palace District of Hajoth Hakados. Here, you make your way to a small street branching off of the main road on the other side of the local Pathfinder Lodge.

Here, nestled into the left hand side of the smaller street down a couple of buildings, stands a half-timbered. three level structure built of stone, wood and plaster, with leaded windows. The sign out front is lettered, "The Plump Pearl".

spacer.pngVal steps into the Plump Pearl and looks about for the innkeeper, who might be the same one she remembers.  The investigator will stop a barmaid, smiling at the young woman and inquire where to find the owner and discreetly hint that in traveling she lost track of what day it was.

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Condition None

"I'll bring the horses to the stable," Vri said as Val entered the inn.  She would bring the horses and cart around the back to the stables, where she could put the horse in a stable and most likely leave the cart in the yard.  She would take the most expensive things out to bring in and would ask some of the others to take the other equipment out, just to make sure it wouldn't get feet during the night.

OOC

I think this will take some time while Val (and maybe some others) talk inside.

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 4/11  | AC 18(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

T'Sarra went to help Vri unload.

"This place is disturbing, given what happened to us," she commented as they worked.

"Best not relax too much until we're back home. Who knows if more kidnappers are watching. I don't plan on taking any drinks, that's for sure. And hopefully we can be on our way out of here tomorrow morning after we make sure we have all the supplies we'll need. Still a long way to go to Torch."

spacer.png

Inside the Plump Pearl, the mood and the music is high spirited.  Easily over a dozen people are in the common area, some of whom are harassing the barmaid, a couple others playing a game of darts.  Tthehe atmosphere is generally rowdy and raucous, but perhaps a few strokes beneath being rampant and disorderly.

spacer.pngVal easily locates the barmaid and flags her down, the young woman immediately recognizing Val by her dress and appearance.  She thanks Val and company for interrupting the badgering from the customers.  "Oh hi!  I think Isaiah has been looking for you!"

"Must've been some adventure you had out there," Even with the giggle, Val could easily detect a hint of longing in the barmaid's voice as she offers up a sophist lamentation, "I wish I had what it takes to just throw all of this to the wind and wrestle with a boar or take the fight to some bandits...  At least then I wouldn't have to be serving ale and roast on an Oathday evening..."

spacer.pngPointing out the innkeeper Isaiah, the barmaid continues with her work, delivering drinks and food to the various patrons.  In speaking with the innkeep, he tells Val that the rooms she had paid for are still available for the night.  "And yeah, I think an elf came looking for you eh, said there was some urgent business or something like that.  Said to hold tight if you show up here, that he'd come check back later on."

spacer.pngVal turns to the others, "It seems we still have rooms for the night, so we must have arrived early and been gone less than a day or so.  Do any of you know who this elf might be who is looking for us?"

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/10  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  "I do not dream of electric sheep" 

Having no memory of this town to share with the others, Domino remains quiet and watches.  The townsfolk seem friendly enough, or at least none take offense at the pair of androids traveling with the others.  She is impressed with the size of the town; a four hundred foot bridge span is no small engineering feat. 

"This place looks expensive.  It seems you were all well paid."  Is her only comment about their lodgings

Domino will assist Val in unloading the cart.

OOC

One night of sleep should allow Domino to recover the last point of health.  

The Plump Pearl is in some place called the Palace District.  Fancy!

Unloading the Cart so I can keep things at a slow pace.

Map Link