Closed Games

Peacemonger

I think there may be some confusion about Closed games. In OG Myth-Weavers the options were "Accepting", "Closed", and "Private". Closed games were ones that people could still read and check on, just couldn't apply to. Now on BLADR "Closed" means no one can read any posts unless they're in the game.

The situation I've run into a few times now is when I've applied to a game in the old site, there's usually an announcement of who was chosen, thanking anyone who didn't get in, plus a chance for people to copy over their application to somewhere else if people want to use it again. People can make a final "happy gaming" post to those chosen and move on. Now when recruitment is over, anyone not chosen can't access anything or see anything because the game's been "Closed". No chance to copy over the character info somewhere else, no chance to read the GM's announcement. 

It just feels less personal, and a less community-oriented or friendly approach with the new "closed game" setting.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

Maybe? Reading through it, it feels a little different, and that thread is more about games not automatically closing when the ad is done. I think my concern is that between "Open" and "Closed" there could be a middle ground that doesn't currently exist. I think GMs are still jumping to "Closed Game" as the closest thing that matches what they want, which puts a damper on recruitments. 

The advertisements system is responsible for the automatic status transition from Public (anyone can post, no restrictions) to Closed. The OP might not have gotten all of that across, but by the time we got to the end of the discussion, we realized that automatically setting the game to Closed prevents exactly what you're describing: publicizing selections, saying thanks/good luck/etc., and finishing up preparations to begin the game proper. I fully intend to make this more graceful going forward.