Welcome to Morgansfort

GaryD20

Mort and Mordel watch as Bart indeed makes his way to the Iron Helm Inn. He wobbles up the steps and disappears inside. Moving to follow, the two companions mount the same steps. Two large windows flank each side of the door. Peering inside, Bart can be seen as he makes his way past the front desk and heads up a set of stairs. Presumably, to rooms above. A middle-aged woman behind the counter can also be seen. She says something to Bart that you can't quite make out. Whether Bart heard or even replied to her you are also unable to tell. The woman shakes her head and gives a little shrug as she turns her attention away from him. Then, as if sensing being watched, she turns her head toward the window. She gives a little start at seeing the two strangers peering in the window. She brings a hand to her mouth to stifle a yelp and gives a nervous chuckle instead. After regaining her composure, the woman smiles and waves the two strangers inside.

Stanick2.jpg.279901ad089f8ff6e5ceb1bb65da45cb.jpg

"Aye," the soldier says to Gray, "If Sergeant Domago says he'll be in touch, he will be at that. I can assure you." He makes a show of taking in the others of the party, as if sizing them up. He then turns his attention back to Gray. "The Olde Island Fortress is easy enough to find. It's making it back that's the issue. Many have tried. Most are never heard from again. Be warned!" 

The soldier then stands and approaches Gray. He reaches out a hand and clasps the swordsman by the shoulder. "Your instincts are true, my friend. Better to join the King's Command. Better to serve the cause of honor and virtue. Freedom and all that is good! The Olde Island Fortress will only bring you certain death. Certain death in a foul dungeon, at that. Surrounded by cold and darkness, to die alone and forever forgotten. Where is the honor in that?"

Gray Greencastle
https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Gray smiles kindly to the guards

“Perhaps BOTH can be done well.  If I am able to penetrate the Fortress, and return with information and heroic tales, would that be worthy of the king’s attention?

”I’m sure we’ll talk again soon, good men.  I must..,check on my compatriots.  I don’t want them getting into too much trouble.”

Gray leaves to go find his companions at the Iron Helm Inn.

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!
Edited by guitarist (see edit history)

spacer.png

With a sigh and a glance towards the female dwarf that seems to say, You can lead a dragon to gold, but you can't make him hoard it, Cal finishes off the last of his ale and rises to follow Gray out to the streets. As he passes the doorway behind the clanking swordsman, he almost instinctively watches where he puts his feet, minimizing his noise, and loosens a dagger on his belt. Morgansfort may be what passes for civilized in this benighted corner of the world, but that didn't mean it was safe, and someone had to keep the generous young fool alive.

Edited by Fragwulf (see edit history)

Mordel

Mordel can't help but smile at the innkeeper's involuntary reaction, then to Mort, he says: "Come on, let's go in to see the friendly lady,spacer.png she may even be able to help us out with Bart."

Then heads in through the door. "Good evening, and please excuse us for frightening you! We mean no harm, we just want to have a word with Bart". Now that he thinks about it, this may actually sound as if he meant harm for Bart. "I mean, literal words, he could help us tremendously with his previous experiences in the nearby Fortress, you see. We saw him come in here, and walking up the stairs. Any chance we could speak to him?"

spacer.png
spacer.png

The Dwarf shook her head at Gray's response. She caught Cal's look and gave him a solid nod.

"Augh! O'course you have t'start somewhere. But gettin' a job ain't it!" Gemlia said exasperatedly.

She turned back to her plate of food as Gray walked outside, followed shortly after by the roguish-looking man.

Gemlia took her newly-filled tankard, turned to Kharn, and raised her drink. "T'Humans and their inability t'sit still," she cheered sarcastically. "So, where d'ya hail from?"

Mortimer Davorus

Mort MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.pngsmiles and waves at the innkeeper through the window before he and Mordel enter.

"We're also hoping that you would be able to provide us with some insight about when you think would be the best time to approach Bart about his recent tragic experiences," Mort adds. "We and a few others are new to the area and we've heard only rumors about the Old Fortress. We have gotten the impression that it can be quite dangerous outside the well-fortified Morgansfort. We seek to do our part to contribute to the safety of all."

Mort will look for any sign from the innkeeper that Bart is not to be trusted. His concern was that Bart had gone with a group to the Old Fortress and was the only survivor. This sounded similar to the tale of one would-be adventurer who was tricked by a bandit into an ambush. This had happened several years ago, but the wounds on the corpse were still fresh in his mind.

Mort will also inquire about the rate to stay at the inn.

Cal follows Gray out of the Toothless Dragon Tavern. They arrive outside just in time to see Mort and Mordel enter the Iron Helm Inn next door.

Loiuse.jpg.2b842cc576c4deec35153b7071a9934b.jpg

Inside the Iron Helm Inn

Mort and Mordel make their way inside the Inn at the beckoning of the Innkeeper. She is still laughing when they enter. "I think you scared seven years off my life! If you're looking for a room, its one silver piece a night for a cot. We have four rooms. Three are available. Four cots to a room. If you want a room all to yourself you have to pay for the empty cots as well. Where are my manners? I'm Louise!"

Louise raises her eyes toward the ceiling and nods her head, "Bart is a pleasant enough fellow. Or at least he was before he ventured to the Fortress. Since he's returned, not so much. He's either at the Tavern in his mugs or up in his room, sleeping off all those ales most likely." Louise looks back to Mort and Mordel, giving them the once over. "Adventurer's are you? You should have no problem finding such around Morgansfort. Have you checked the Town Bulletin Board? Always someone with a need posting something there. The King's Command is always on the lookout for men or your ilk. If it's adventure you seek, you've come to the right place."

Mortimer Davorus

Mort intrMortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.pngoduces himself to Louise, thanks her for the information, and tells her that they will be back later for a room.

Mort accepts that Bart seems like he used to be a nice enough fellow before going to the Old Fortress. He plans to follow up with him later to offer him a proposition.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Kharn didn't seem the talkative type. She decided to leave him be for the moment, letting her question die awkwardly.

Turning to the soldiers, Gemlia spun in her stool and leaned backward on the bar.

"So, any o'ya ever hear a tale of a barbarian chief with a magic sword? Supposed t'have been around here somewhere. Well, he was--dead now. But that sword could be worth a fair bit o'coin," she asked.

"If not, maybe ya got some pointers on things need done? A job board I can look into after I sleep?" she followed up.

Mordel

Mordel listens intently to Louise's words, thanks her for all the information, agreeing with Mortspacer.png that they may be back for lodging at a later time.

When they leave the inn, he turns to Mort: "The Town Bulleting Board is a splendid idea, let's tell the others about it, they may be interested, as well. As for, let's plan how to approach him, I would not want to get on his bad side by waking him from the ale-induced stupor, if he's up there sleeping."

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

688911746_dwarffighter.png.d3db669df9d597a6fc52602ce3d257eb.pngKharn didn't notice the dwarf woman had been talking to him until she walked away. Damn. He had never been much for social grace.

He followed her over to the table with the soldiers.

"You're a Cleric," he said without preamble. "I'm Kharn. The job board's a good idea, seems like there's plenty of work around here. What say we go find it?"

spacer.png
spacer.png

Gemlia nodded hard once. "I am. Gemlia's the name." she said, picking her shield off the counter-top. "And that sounds like a fine idea. I think I've m'legs back under me again." She shook her head quickly and added, "Dwarfs should never sail."

Hefting her gear back on, Gemlia paid for her meal and turned to follow Kharn outside. "Thanks anyways, boys," she said to the guards with a wave.

"Ye've a keen eye to spot a woman of worship. Though, I was calling a lot for the Forge's help on the water..."

Outside, she caught the tail-end of Gray going into the inn. "Bet a coin they're after that one-eyed fella."

OOCHow much is sheperd's pie and 2 drinks?

688911746_dwarffighter.png.d3db669df9d597a6fc52602ce3d257eb.pngKharn leads the way like he knows where he is going (he doesn't), looking for anything that resembles a town square or a public bulletin board.

When Gemila comments on his keen eye for spotting priests, Kharn says, "Your holy symbol helped. Blessed be the Forge."

To her thoughts about what the humans are doing, Kharn just makes a noise halfway between a grunt and a growl.

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Gray smiles kindly to Louise.

“Nice inn you have, ma’dam.  We will return later.  We’ll let One Eyed Bart get his beauty rest firstly.”

Gray leaves to go find his companions and check the job board.  A sporting prospect indeed!

Yes, indeed, noble fellow!

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!

spacer.png
spacer.png

The woman's face lit up with joy and she took in a sharp breath. "And blessed are th' coals, whose embers keep it warm." Gemlia wore a stupid grin. "It's rare t' meet someone what recognizes th' Living Forge. Ya honor me, Kharn."

Gray was inside and outside of the inn fast enough to start calling the inn an out.

Gemlia looked over her shoulder and waved the noble down, though her feet didn't stop moving.

What was his name again? Groob? Gom? Greg? she thought.

"Hey! ...Man! O'er 'ere!" she shouted.

Close enough. Manlings look the same anyhow.