Welcome to Morgansfort

GaryD20

image.png.4838c6f1a50381e4155a39c1df5bced6.png

After taking Gray's silver and handing him his chit, the Scribe seemingly looses all interest in the young warrior. "Next! Name, nationality, occupation!"

image.png.64732b1bfb8c5034ae85fc70bf546a81.png

The Sergeant, on the other hand, eyes Gray with interest. "A swordsman, you say? The King always has need of a good sword hand." He jabs a finger at the ledger the Scribe has been scribbling in. "We have your information. I'll let the Captain know of your desire. He'll be wanting to talk with you, I'm sure." He nods his head firmly, as if coming to a decision. "We'll be in touch, Swordsman."

Edited by GaryD20 (see edit history)

Realizing that it was now his turn, and anticipating trouble, Cal steps boldly forward and hopes for the best.

"Calivarindrin Xerintrevor, son of King Alaricrin, Lord of Greenwood. I am here to broaden my experience of the West, and to further my studies, both mystic and mundane," he says with a small flourish.

"Recent tribulations along my path, however," he pats absently at pouches and pockets, "have left me a bit short on my traveling coin, so to speak."

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg   

Gray glances back at Cal, and quickly reaches hand into his pouch.

He sets another silver on the table. “He’s with me,” he says hurriedly to the Scribe. Gazing at his elven companion with interested wonder.

Gray smiled slightly.  Sounds like this one may be of noble birth too,” he thinks  to noble-minded self.  Maybe I stay close to this one!

Unsure of truth, but giving benefit of doubt, Gray looks at Cal with emerald eyes, and smiles.

Edited by guitarist (see edit history)

image.png.a1bc2eb219dd1ec0fc016fccbe36faeb.png

"Very well," the Scribe says, taking the coin from Gray and tossing it inside the chest. He hands a chit to Cal. "Matters not to me who pays. As long as it's paid. Next! Name, nationality, occupation!" He calls out, already moving on from the two newfound companions.

image.png.afefecf9eed082461b1d23c3e1707dee.png

The Sergeant of the Guard sits back, arms crossed, watching with some amusement the procession of new characters to his town. "Interesting days ahead," he thinks, as the party files through the Gatehouse and into Morgansfort. "Interesting days, indeed."

Gray Greencastle

Gray waits for his new companions to all finish up with their respective check-ins.

I hope I don’t end up anting up silver for the lot of them,” he thinks  to noble-minded self! 

He turns to Cal and says,. I hope you don’t mind my paying your way. I never wish to come across as presumptuous. Tell me Cal…are you truly of noble birth?  You peeked my interest.”

Piqued. He PIQUED your interest, noble fellow.

Um, right. THAT one. 

Mordel

As Gray and Cal are getting closer, Mordel asks in a low voice: spacer.png"Excuse me, I couldn't help but hear what you said to the scribe and you two were talking about. Is that true, are you of high nobility? If that is the case, pardon me, your Highness, I am only a humble but ignorant servant.", he says, smiling, then slightly bowing his head, so Cal can presume he's only jesting in good faith.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

toothlessdragon.jpg.9f6a379a41f753e0e611b45eb2457d12.jpg

Using the directions given by the Scribe, the party makes their way to The Toothless Dragon Tavern. The directions are simple enough to follow and you arrive several minutes later. Making your way inside, you are greeted by a serving wench as she bustles by carrying pints of ale for a nearby table. 

Irene.jpg.b77dbb1428514ee34dafcada47a766df.jpg

"Sit where you like!" She calls out as she passes by. "Be with you in a twinkle!"

Looking around, you see that the Toothless Dragon is a surprisingly cozy looking tavern. A large fireplace takes up one wall. Various animal fur rugs dot the floor. Tables of various sizes and shapes are placed smartly about the room. Smells of various foods cooking fills the air. As the breakfast hours are winding down, the tavern is only about half full. A few faces glance up at the newcomers with mild interest before going back to their plates or mugs.

What do you want to do?

Cal laughs off the help in paying his way, having a sneaking suspicion that the grubbing scribe would have denied him entry otherwise. Saved climbing a wall in the night, at least.

As they near the tavern, he finally confides to his new friends, "One might say I have high blood, but not high birth, if you get my meaning." He shrugs with a small grin, "Father's wife didn't appreciate my mother as much as he did. I am most certainly the son of a King. But I am no Prince, and have no claim. There are times when the name will gain me favor, but often in these western lands those times are few. Seems as though this would be one of those times."

Cal claims a chair at a table in the corner, keeping his eyes towards the door and back to the wall. "It is thus that I make my own way in this world, and am not pulled along by the tassels of my father's robes."

Edited by Fragwulf (see edit history)

Mordel

"That is quite right", Mordel says, as Cal shares his brief history. "Thank you for you honesty."spacer.png

As they step in the tavern, he takes a good look around, as the place is haf empty, one may spot any of the more eager onlookers more easily, then follows Cal's example, sitting in a way that he can always keep an eye on the door to see who might follow them. It's not necessarily trouble, but this is a new and unknown territory of some sorts, it pays to be vigilant at all times.

"I'm always grateful for what I get but in all honesty, I would enjoy a quick breakfast when the table doesn't move while I'm eating. Care to join me, perhaps?"

Gray Greencastle

“A round for my party, please,” Gray exclaims to the serving girl with utter confidence!

Gray reaches into his pouch, grabs a gold coin, and flips it towards the serving girl.  It flys well overhead, and he watches it clink against the back wall and fall onto the ground on the other side of the room.

(CLINK, CLUNK)!

“Uh, I’ll get that,” he says embarrassingly.  He sets another gold coin gingerly upon the counter or hands to the serving girl.   Stupid, he mouths, stammering to himself, as he hits his palm up against his forehead.

He retrieves his errant coin and rejoins his friends.

Kharn, who still hasn't associated himself with the talkative knight or his new friends, sits at the bar and slaps a silver piece down in front of him.

"Ale. And whatever you're serving that has meat in it."

TavernKeeper.jpg.826808bace6f41e9941a03a54b0b553d.jpg

A large burly figure turns and places a frothy mug of ale down before the dwarf. He snatches up the silver with an equally burly hand. "We have shepherds pie and mutton stew," he says pulling a rag from beneath the counter and wiping off the area in front of Kharn. "Can't go wrong with the shepherds pie, if you don't mind me saying."

Irene.jpg.9b4574a41efafb05a65cfba684a5a9e8.jpg

The serving wench turns, watching Gray's coin fly past her and clink off the wall onto the floor. She turns back with a smile. "I hope you're better at wielding that sword than you are at tossing coins!" She says playfully. She continues on to the bar and begins preparing a round of ale for Gray and his companions. "Will you be having a bite as well?" She calls out as she works. "We have shepherds pie and mutton stew, if you like."

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.pngMort let the commanding soldier know that they should reach out anytime there was need of his services.

Once inside The Toothless Dragon Tavern, Mort quickly accepted Gray's generosity and told the wench, "I'm with him," while he gave his benefactor a nod of gratitude.

He took a seat at the bar next to Kharn, resting his walking stick on the edge of the bar top between them. A chunk of green crystal was embedded into the top of the walking stick. Although it looked valuable, even the youngest dwarf would be able to tell that it was worthless.

[May your hearth be full of fire, Master Dwarf,] he said before sitting down.

Although his former master did not speak often, when she did it was always in Dwarvish, her native tongue. So it came to be that Mort had spent the first year of his apprenticeship just learning to communicate with her. After several years, he became quite fluent in the language. Although his pronunciation still needed some work, he understood the intricacies of dwarven spoken etiquette.

Therefore, when he addressed Kharn, Mort had opened with a common greeting made with strangers and an honorific that acknowledged that although this was their first meeting, he was providing respect and wishing to engage in friendly conversation with the option of discussing business at the discretion of the one being greeted.

Edited by jokomaisu (see edit history)

Mordel

Before Irene, the serving wench turns to leave, Mordel politely looks up to her:spacer.png

"As I hear, the sheperd's pie must be delicious, please bring me a serving, I'm sure it will do wonders after the long travel."

Right after, he turns to Mort: "Do I presume correctly it was the Dwarven language you just spoke? Your command of it seems admirable."

Irene.jpg.9b4574a41efafb05a65cfba684a5a9e8.jpg

The girl pushes a large mug of ale across the bar toward Mort. She places the remaining mugs on a tray and heads off to serve Gray and the others. As she serves the ale, the girl gives Mordel a nod. "Shepherds pie for you, I believe you said." She looks around at the others. "Anyone else be eating?"