Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Katlina Grovegust, Kender Monk: Way of the Ascendant Dragon

Guardian Angel Haruki

spacer.png

Name: Katlina Grovegust

Character Concept: A strange Kender from far away, for her friend's soul, she comes to pray. 

Lineage, Background, Planned-Subclass Class: Kender, Monk, Way of the Ascendant Dragon. 

Description. A picture is worth a thousand words. What the picture above does not show is that she has a strange birthmark (Tattoo?) of a metallic dragon winding itself around her right arm. She has bandages around her calloused hands and feet from her Martial Arts training. She seems like just another carefree Kender when people first meet her, but there is something that sets her apart: A discipline that lurks underneath her cheerful demeanor, and a fire in her eyes when someone's picking a fight. She is actually disciplined enough to keep herself from accidentally stealing others' belongings. She is light on her feet, always ready to move, and has a bright smile on her face. The only time that smile fades is when an opponent is putting up a seriously difficult fight. There are no scars on her body.

Her clothes are typical monks' garb, but during her travels she finds that she likes to wear a signature coat with long sleeves (kind of like the sleeves on a Japanese kimono/yukata) to give a bit of an extra stylish flourish when she uses her martial arts. Her clothes are typically subtle earthly colors with a bit of color. But if she has to sneak around at night, then she would opt to wear blue. Something about the color helps with sneaking around at night, but she can't quite articulate why. 

When she's talking to someone else, her actions and demeanor would depend on the situation. If she's with friends, then she would be up close and personal with them. But if it's someone she doesn't trust, then she would keep her distance if she could. But if she has to be close, then she will be. Otherwise, with anyone else, she would invite them to a game of cards. It seems like carefree fun and games, but she is actually using card games to get a better sense of this person's personality. She keeps up a friendly and gregarious appearance. 

Your Character’s Plothook: You and Ispin defended a community from a notorious band of goblin raiders.

Past is Prologue: Katlina isn't sure who her family was or where she truly came from. From what she was told by the other monks who raised her, she was found on the monastery's doorstep when she was an infant. The only thing she had to identify her was the piece of jewelry: A golden hairpin designed as a flower, and a note with her name written on it. The monks took her in, and raised her as one of their own. There, she learned the martial arts, along with history and religion. The monks also noted that Katlina has a strange birthmark that looks like a metallic dragon wrapping itself around her arm. This is something Katlina would notice later in life. The monks worshipped Palandine and Bahamut, but they encouraged Katlina to worship a Good God that she felt comfortable with. Katlina hasn't quite decided and in her meditations decided that each Good God's teachings had a lesson worthy of internalizing and acting upon in life. Besides, she wasn't as good at Academic studying as she was with following her curiosity and exploring the world. While she was a child however, the monks seemed to be constantly worried for her safety because they never really allowed her to leave the monastery. 

One day, when she was old enough to be considered an adult by the monks, she decided to go out and sightsee the entire world for herself. She headed out with the monks' good graces. Heck, maybe along the way, she'll learn more about her origins. During her travels, she meets and befriends one Ispin Greenshield. She first met him when she first arrived at a town and it was under attack by some goblins. She helped fight off the goblins by Ispin's side, and after that hard battle was won, she enjoyed drinking with him at the tavern! She traveled with Ispin for a while before it would be time for her to travel on her own once more. Now...she is heading to a new destination to mourn Ispin's passing...

Truths, Rumors, and Lies. 

Is Might Right? After many years of contemplation and discussing philosophy with the monks, Katlina does not believe that Might is Right. What good is power if authority uses it to oppress and harm those that they're supposed to watch over? A Monarch is nothing without their subjects. Power is not the end all be all to determine authority. What is needed is Wisdom tempered with Kindness and Integrity. With those three qualities, power can be wielded in the best way possible. Power wielded for selfish gain is the worst way to wield it. 

Deity: Katlina is spiritual, but she doesn't worship specifically one god. Instead, she takes the lessons or cores from each religion for the Gods of Good, and tries to implement them in her own lifestyle. After all, it's not what someone preaches, promises, or wears, it's what they do that truly impacts the world. Actions are what can change the world for the better or for the worse. Of course, knowing what actions to take to truly benefit the world would take some introspection and critical thinking. Bumbling about blindly would do more harm than good. 

Music: Musically speaking, I can't think of a better choice than Casey Lee Williams and her songs for Yang from the RWBY. The two I'm leaning towards are "I Burn" and "Ignite"

I Burn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mQTmXxU8E

Ignite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uHgo7_ZtXs

Impressions. .....Gonna wait a bit on this one.

Your impression of other characters. This will help us develop relationships before the game starts. However, this is obviously not required because, depending on how many people apply, this will become burdensome.

Connections. 

Ellistar, Kagonesti Monk: The Head Monk of the Monastery Katlina grew up in. He is a very strict and disciplined figure, but despite his strictness, he is a kind man. Straightforward and direct, he isn't exactly one for politics, but he is very wise. 

Andromere, Human Monk: An elderly man whose rank as monk is under only Ellistar's. He's much more light-hearted and carefree than Ellistar, but when anyone asks him questions, he gives very confusing riddles for answers. He also seems to be always drunk. In a weird way, being drunk seems to have made him better at martial arts! 

Felicia, Half-Elf Monk: A half-elf monk who trained alongside Katlina because they were in the same class. The both of them are the same rank as each other. While Katlina wanted to travel and see the world, Felicia wanted to stay and continuing studying at the monastery. 

Katlina does not know if she has family outside of the monastery. She hopes to find out. 

Edited by Guardian Angel Haruki (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d6 2

Kender Lineage

Kender Lineage

Ability Scores: Choose one of: (a) Choose any +2; choose any other +1 (b) Choose three different +1 +2 Wisdom, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 30 ft.

Fearless. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the frightened condition on yourself. When you fail a saving throw to avoid or end the frightened condition on yourself, you can choose to succeed instead. Once you succeed on a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a long rest.

Kender Curiosity. Thanks to the mystical origin of your people, you gain proficiency with one of the following skills of your choice: Insight, Investigation, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, or Survival.

Taunt. You have an extraordinary ability to fluster creatures. As a bonus action, you can unleash a string of provoking words at a creature within 60 feet of yourself that can hear and understand you. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw, or it has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn. The DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier (choose when you select this race: Wisdom).

You can use this bonus action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for your character. Kenderspeak

Source: DSotDQ, page 27

Background

Far Traveler Background

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Perception
Tool Proficiencies: Any one musical instrument or gaming set of your choice, likely something native to your homeland (Playing Card Set)

Languages: Any one of your choice. Istarian

Equipment: One set of traveler's clothes, any one musical instrument or gaming set you are proficient with, poorly wrought maps from your homeland that depict where you are in Faerûn Ansolan, a small piece of jewelry worth 10 gp in the style of your homeland's craftsmanship, and a pouch containing 5 gp

Feature: All Eyes on You

Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.

Why are you Here?

A far traveler might have set out on a journey for one of a number of reasons, and the departure from his or her homeland could have been voluntary or involuntary. To determine why you are so far from home, roll on the table below or choose from the options provided. The following section, discussing possible homelands, includes some suggested reasons that are appropriate for each location.

D6 Reason
1 Emissary
2 Exile
3 Fugitive
4 Pilgrim
5 Sightseer
6 Wanderer

Source: SCAG, page 148 

Name
Why are you Here?
1d6 5
Personality Trait 1
1d6 5
Personality Trait 2
1d6 3
Ideal 1 (Reroll Evil if applicable)
1d6 4
Ideal 1 Reroll (4 is Evil)
1d6 2
Ideal 2 (Reroll Evil if applicable)
1d6 6
Bond 1
1d6 4
Bond 2
1d6 3
Flaw 1
1d6 5
Flaw 2
1d6 6

39 minutes ago, Guardian Angel Haruki said:

Name: Katlina Grovegust

Character Concept: A strange Kender from far away, for her friend's soul, she comes to pray.

I don't suppose I could ask you to choose a darker shade of green, could I? That one's really blending into the tan background and making it hard for me to read. It's actually even worse in the darker tan of the quote!

You don't need to put your posts in field-sets. I found that it actually interferes with some of the options for inserting tables. It's up to you of course.

Looks good, so far, though!

12 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I don't suppose I could ask you to choose a darker shade of green, could I? That one's really blending into the tan background and making it hard for me to read. It's actually even worse in the darker tan of the quote!

You don't need to put your posts in field-sets. I found that it actually interferes with some of the options for inserting tables. It's up to you of course.

Looks good, so far, though!

Thank you!
I'll try and make the green a darker shade. ^^" If that doesn't work, I'll just go with Dark Red. I hope that helps! 

Please put your character’s class features. It should look like this (You don’t need to put your posts in field-sets):

Monk Class

Monk, Way of the Ascendant Dragon

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Martial Arts Ki Points Unarmored Movement                
1st +2 Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts 1d4 - -                

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Monk level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: None
Weapons: simple weapons, shortswords
Tools: Any one type of Artisan's Tools, or any one Musical Instrument of your choice. (Herbalism Kit)
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity 
Skills: Choose two from Athletics, Acrobatics, History, Insight, Religion, and Stealth.

Starting Equipment

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.

• (a) a shortsword, or (b) any simple weapon
  • (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
  • 10 darts

Alternatively, you may start with 5d4 gp to buy your own equipment.

Level 1 - Unarmored Defense

Beginning at 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.

Level 1 - Martial Arts

Your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that do not have the two-handed or heavy property. 

You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:

*You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for your attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons.

*You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table.

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.

Certain monasteries use specialized forms of the monk weapons. For example, you might use a club that is two lengths of wood connected by a short chain (called a nunchaku) or a sickle with a shorter, straighter blade (called a kama).

1st Level Bonus Feat

Feats

Level 1 Bonus Feat

Skilled

You gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice.

Cook's Utensils, Investigation, Sleight of Hand

Source: PHB, page 170

Inventory

Inventory

Worn

1. a pouch containing 4 gp - Starting equipment (background) - Spent 1 gp on Cook's Utensils
  2. a set of traveler's clothes - Starting equipment (background)
  3. a small piece of jewelry worth 10 gp in the style of your homeland's craftsmanship (background)

Weapons

1. a quarterstaff (1d6 bludgeoning - versatile (1d8))) - Starting equipment (class)
  2. 10 darts (1d4 piercing - finesse, thrown (20/60 ft.) - Starting equipment (class)

Instruments & Tools

1. Playing Card Set

2. Cook's Utensils - Spent 1 gp for these tools

Other

1. poorly wrought maps from your homeland that depict where you are in Ansolan - Starting equipment (background)
  2. an explorer’s pack - Starting equipment (class)
    • a backpack
    • a bedroll
    • a mess kit
    • a tinderbox
    • 10 torches
    • 10 days of rations
    • a waterskin
    • 50 feet of hempen rope
  3. Nothing else yet. Keeping this here in case I need to edit this.

Katlina Grovegust

Kender Far Traveler Way of the Ascendant Dragon Monk

AC: 16 (Unarmored Defense) | HP: 9/9 (1d8+1) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 13
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Kenderspeak, and Istarian

“Hey there!” Katlina said. | ‘Huh...That's interesting...’ Katlina thought. | Her actions . . .

Katlina did some things. She said some things. She did some more things.

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.