The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

8 hours ago, astronavigatrix said:

Oof, got taken out hard by a migraine and wasn't able to post more to the IC thread but good luck to everyone, and it was nice doing what little writing I managed with y'all. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll take that into consideration.

8 hours ago, PhoenixSlayer said:

Best of luck to everyone! Glad I got a post in at least, work kicked my ass far more than expected last week.

@PhoenixSlayer

Sorry it was a tough work week for you, although of course I understand that happens sometimes.  I thought Merituuli had a really good energy about him and I was hoping to interact with him a little more than we wound up being able to in the pre-game.  As a player, I have a special fondness for sea-based races like Sea Elves, locathah, and tritons, so I already had some ideas about roleplaying with him.

Still, I guess Monday will show who was chosen.  Best of luck to you!

Really looking forward to playing with the rest of you guys - looks like it will be a fun group to explore Dragonlance with! 

I'll finish up Artanis toot sweet, largely by picking his class which I've remained pretty indecisive about. Largely because both I felt gave the same image. Don't suppose anyone else has an opinion on whether the party would do better with a frontline defender tank role from the cavalier fighter or a frontline melee leader / support tank hybrid from the warlord paragon (gives a bit of healing and movement options for allies)

This is going to be fun, I like the blend of characters.  

If you want my 2 cents @PureChance, not that I want to put you in a direction you don't want to play, but since we seem to be dps heavy with a bladesinger, hexblade, barbarian and ranger; a frontline battlefield commander who can help out our steadfast Forge Cleric get in and out of combat (if that is how he intends to RP), being the target of our foes, all the while doling out excellent tactical advice to the group seems like it would have great synergy.     

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, PureChance said:

Really looking forward to playing with the rest of you guys - looks like it will be a fun group to explore Dragonlance with! 

I'll finish up Artanis toot sweet, largely by picking his class which I've remained pretty indecisive about. Largely because both I felt gave the same image. Don't suppose anyone else has an opinion on whether the party would do better with a frontline defender tank role from the cavalier fighter or a frontline melee leader / support tank hybrid from the warlord paragon (gives a bit of healing and movement options for allies)

I would like to echo this post.  I'm super excited about playing this game.

With respect to Artanis, I will give you my two coppers.  One thing that you will keep is the Knight of Solamnia feats.  They effectively give you Fighter (Battle Master) abilities and each of the orders of knighthood require a feat.  So,

• The power of fighter is their ability to get more feats.  Considering the Knights of Solamnia feat progression, this would allow you to climb the ranks game-mechanically.
    • Before going Cavalier, consider Purple Dragon Knight from SCAG.  It gives you a bit of healing everyone at 3rd which cycles on a Short Rest.  And the 7th level ability gives you Expertise in Persuasion which may be important out of combat
  • For Warlord, you can only consider the Commander and Paragon, because they're the only ones giving heavy armor proficiency allowing you to tank with Heavy Armor Proficiency.  The core ability of the warlord is to help other characters do more.  This coordination is difficult to pull off in PbP.  Not impossible, but it'll be a challenge
  • Consider Paladin.  You've healing.  The focus on Charisma will help Persuasion, and spells can be a utility.  Especially to Find Steed for your desire to be a Cavalier.  Oath of the Crown really fits the Solamnic Oath and Measure pretty well as is.  However, by 3rd level you might have the story to take Vengeance which is game-mechanically stronger than Crown.

Cheers and look forward to RP with you! 

@PureChance My intent with Modri is for him to tank. Giving him a shield instead of a two-handed weapon for example and will probably raise Con before Str. I know other archetypes tank better than Wild Magic, going for it mostly because it looks fun, and also add a little versatility. That being said with seven of us definitely room for two tanks, and can ensure someone's anchoring the front if one of our character's been compromised. Don't know about the Warlord class, so can't weigh in on that one. Either way, I'd say go with what you'll think is most fun.

That's true @tyrtaeus, if most of the party can hold their own in melee or at least have decent survivability there's less need for a defender to stop them reaching the back line. Although the unwavering mark feature would help keep melee attention focussed with the disadvantage on other adjacent targets that were less tough.

@JubalBreakbottlethe only warlord I was considering was the paragon, hence that feat. Also had my choice for next feat pretty set on mounted combatant - didn't take it at 1st level as couldn't start with a horse and figured it'd take 4 levels to get one. Appreciate the mechanical benefits of the paladin in terms of healing and utility, but my vision of Artanis doesn't have any magic, which is why I ruled that out. Plus I wanted to see his ideals tested, and that's harder to make interesting if his conviction is so strong it literally drives his class.

@Peacemongerhe does have an insane amount of hitpoints with an extra 3 per level on top of his d12 HD and Con. That's basically an extra wizard or sorcerer strapped to your character each level. Part of my issues was that I didn't think either would really change how I played Artanis to pick the most fun!

I think I'm probably leaning towards the warlord most again now, since it gives a few more different things to do in combat, and I've not played one before.  

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Hey, I'm happy to have made it with you guys and am looking forward to playing with you all!  I'm short on time atm, but wanted to say that if there are any tools we're short on, let me know.  I put Tough on Mery as her feat, but am open to swapping that out for Skilled, if there are skills or tools we need.  I didn't see anyone with Thieves' Tools and wasn't sure if anyone had Land Vehicles, if we need those.

No thoughts on Warlord vs Fighter, as I've never seen Warlord.

Color me pleasantly surprised!  Looking forward to playing with you all!  Speaking of Tools, the new version of Trance from Monsters of the Multiverse allows Merituuli to choose two tools to gain proficiency in per day, so I have some flexibility with that!

1 minute ago, PhoenixSlayer said:

Color me pleasantly surprised!  Looking forward to playing with you all!  Speaking of Tools, the new version of Trance from Monsters of the Multiverse allows Merituuli to choose two tools to gain proficiency in per day, so I have some flexibility with that!

And if we have some spare coin, Coltan at 2nd level can create whatever sets of tools for Merituuli to use!

I just ran through the party's tool proficiencies.

We have 2 proficiencies with smith's tools, and one each with mason's tools, Brewer's supplies, and land vehicles.

If Merituuli doesn't want to be locked into the same tools and we want to let him be a floater in terms of tool proficiencies, I'm thinking Mery could take Thieves' Tools, maybe Cooking Utensils, and a skill, (maybe Stealth?) if we want her to swap to Skilled.  We don't to my knowledge have anyone who can scout.  Mery isn't extremely well suited for it, but once she can grab Invisibility, I think she should probably do okay.  

I'll wait to hear thoughts from the group before moving forward with the change.

@PhoenixSlayer  Hey, so cool you got selected!