Sheet Folders in Testing ×

The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

23 hours ago, tbgg said:

Another question I forgot I had:  Are there plans at any point to have a conversation about lines and veils?  It probably makes more sense to do it after player selection is finalized, but it's something I'm curious about.

I'm probably going to sound like a newb...but what do you mean by lines and veils?

@Glyph

It's not a bad thing at all to sound like a newb.  I'm still somewhat new to D&D myself, so periodically have newb-type questions as well.  I'm new to Baldr, as well, and I find the gaming communities here on MW are pretty good about answering newb-type questions.

Lines and veils have to do with things that might make a player feel uncomfortable, or be under some kind of emotional load after a gaming session.  Their purpose is to help players have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Lines would be things you don't want to see at all in the game - it's the idea of drawing a line and that line doesn't get crossed.  Sexual violence and abuse of children are things you'll commonly see as lines, but I've also seen animal abuse as a line. 

Veils, on the other hand, are things that might be implied but then followed by a fade to black type effect, or else are handled away from the main gaming thread, or behind a veil, so to speak.  Sex scenes, for instance, are commonly veiled (and in the case of myth-weavers, I think they are actually required to be as a condition of using the site).  But I've seen certain types of extreme violence also be veiled.

A lot of it is a matter of knowing if there are things that would upset you or make you feel uncomfortable.

Hope that helps! 

32 minutes ago, tbgg said:

@Glyph

It's not a bad thing at all to sound like a newb.  I'm still somewhat new to D&D myself, so periodically have newb-type questions as well.  I'm new to Baldr, as well, and I find the gaming communities here on MW are pretty good about answering newb-type questions.

Lines and veils have to do with things that might make a player feel uncomfortable, or be under some kind of emotional load after a gaming session.  Their purpose is to help players have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Lines would be things you don't want to see at all in the game - it's the idea of drawing a line and that line doesn't get crossed.  Sexual violence and abuse of children are things you'll commonly see as lines, but I've also seen animal abuse as a line. 

Veils, on the other hand, are things that might be implied but then followed by a fade to black type effect, or else are handled away from the main gaming thread, or behind a veil, so to speak.  Sex scenes, for instance, are commonly veiled (and in the case of myth-weavers, I think they are actually required to be as a condition of using the site).  But I've seen certain types of extreme violence also be veiled.

A lot of it is a matter of knowing if there are things that would upset you or make you feel uncomfortable.

Hope that helps! 

Yeah it does help!

I assume what the "line" was...like crossing a line. But was unsure about the veil.

4 hours ago, Glyph said:

I'm probably going to sound like a newb...but what do you mean by lines and veils?

I had to look it up myself. I'm an old school gamer, so this is something new. I had heard of X-cards and Safety Tools, but this was a new way to me of saying it.

@astronavigatrix

Sorry to hear about your migraine and hope it's a lot better if not completely over by now.  I would have definitely enjoyed getting to know Lisette a bit better!  I had a lot of fun doing this pre-game.

Best of luck to you, too!  

Good luck to everyone! I wasn't able to finish off my application, which is disappointing...but I hope I can continue to watch this game and read the amazing adventure you guys will be on! 😄

@Glyph

Thanks, Glyph!  I am sorry you didn't get to finish your application, too - I'd have loved to have seen Tabitha in action!  I "lurk" (read games I'm not a player in) not only on this site, but on a few others as well, and I've never had anyone have a problem with it, so unless Rin has a problem with it, I don't see why you couldn't.  If I'm not selected, I might actually do the same thing myself.

4 hours ago, Glyph said:

Good luck to everyone! I wasn't able to finish off my application, which is disappointing...but I hope I can continue to watch this game and read the amazing adventure you guys will be on! 😄

I'm sorry you didn't get it finished, too! The character looked solid. Unfortunately, I had to stick to the line I drew.

1 hour ago, tbgg said:

@Glyph

Thanks, Glyph!  I am sorry you didn't get to finish your application, too - I'd have loved to have seen Tabitha in action!  I "lurk" (read games I'm not a player in) not only on this site, but on a few others as well, and I've never had anyone have a problem with it, so unless Rin has a problem with it, I don't see why you couldn't.  If I'm not selected, I might actually do the same thing myself.

Yeah, absolutely no problem, whatsoever.