Sheet Folders in Testing ×

The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

Ah fab, thank you; I was trying to use the scaling feature within the post, but it did seem to load a little inconsistently.

Regarding the Brightblade family, if they're not mentioned in the adventure, I'd have no particular request to include them beyond what you may / may not have done for any character background details - I'm hardly an expert on the setting lore, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't even realise they existed in canon until I'd done a bit more reading.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Would you allow voice as a musical instrument?  I think either singing or maybe oratory or storytelling all fit the idea of a bard.  I'm happy to take that an instrument proficiency, since the bard class gives 3 of them.  The advantage becomes that she doesn't have to drop instrument/weapon to swap to the other one.  But there can be a couple of issues with that, namely: 

1.  What if the bard gets muted, as by a Silence spell?  

2. A bard typically uses a musical instrument as their arcane focus.  It could either be worked into the lore that somehow her voice IS her arcane focus, or else I can carry an actual physical instrument as the focus/backup focus.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

1 hour ago, tbgg said:

Would you allow voice as a musical instrument?  I think either singing or maybe oratory or storytelling all fit the idea of a bard.  I'm happy to take that an instrument proficiency, since the bard class gives 3 of them.  The advantage becomes that she doesn't have to drop instrument/weapon to swap to the other one.  But there can be a couple of issues with that, namely: 

2. A bard typically uses a musical instrument as their arcane focus.  It could either be worked into the lore that somehow her voice IS her arcane focus, or else I can carry an actual physical instrument as the focus/backup focus.

Regards the silence spell, the vast majority of spells have a verbal component so are explicitly rendered uncastable within silence anyway 

3 hours ago, Rumrunner said:

Hate to bail on the middle of rp, but I've just accepted an invite to another game and I don't think I'll be able to devote the time and attention this great looking game deserves.

All the best and happy gaming!

Thanks for the heads up! Best of luck and enjoy that game, Rumrunner!

3 hours ago, tbgg said:

In 3.5e, Singing and Oratory were both entertainment skills available to bards amongst various instruments. In 5e, I believe that's the case, too, but I'd have to confirm.

Confirmed: Under "routines" in the Entertainer background, they list poet, singer, and storyteller as options, all of which are oratorical skills, and not instrumental.

Regardless, at my IRL table, a player did exactly that with his eloquence bard. His proficiency was with voice, flute, and lute.

Anyway, as @PureChance stated, your arcane focus isn't going to matter if that verbal component gets borked.

As for 2, A paladin and a cleric can emblazon their holy symbol right on their shields, effectively combining both items (though you'd still have to pay for both). A bard can use any instrument they have proficiency with as an arcane focus, so sure. Carry one as a backup.

@astronavigatrix I am now completely confused as to what you are expecting to happen in the IC thread.  Your character did something completely reasonable upon entering an inn where she presumably doesn't know anyone - she asked about food and drink.  Ordinarily, the GM would role-play a serving girl or other inn staff responding to her request.  In this case, the GM has asked US as players to role-play the innkeeper serving our characters.  If you as a player need to role-play this, there's no need for your character to be given any special instructions or to know anything out of the ordinary is going on.  I suppose you could argue we're having a free-for-all in terms of conversation, but that has nothing to do with the food, which is what you seemed to be implying.

Could you please restate in different words what you are expecting/hoping is going to happen here?

28 minutes ago, tbgg said:

@astronavigatrix I am now completely confused as to what you are expecting to happen in the IC thread.  Your character did something completely reasonable upon entering an inn where she presumably doesn't know anyone - she asked about food and drink.  Ordinarily, the GM would role-play a serving girl or other inn staff responding to her request.  In this case, the GM has asked US as players to role-play the innkeeper serving our characters.  If you as a player need to role-play this, there's no need for your character to be given any special instructions or to know anything out of the ordinary is going on.  I suppose you could argue we're having a free-for-all in terms of conversation, but that has nothing to do with the food, which is what you seemed to be implying.

Could you please restate in different words what you are expecting/hoping is going to happen here?

My thought was that the instruction for people to help themselves/the DM generally bowing out of the RP was ICly so the NPCs would have time to take care of other things in the inn overall and wouldn't always be in the room- and thus giving players more reason to interact without necessarily having to resort to the NPCs since we're meant to be building something of a dynamic between characters without giving the DM more to do. 

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

Another question I forgot I had:  Are there plans at any point to have a conversation about lines and veils?  It probably makes more sense to do it after player selection is finalized, but it's something I'm curious about.

1 hour ago, tbgg said:

Another question I forgot I had:  Are there plans at any point to have a conversation about lines and veils?  It probably makes more sense to do it after player selection is finalized, but it's something I'm curious about.

That's a good point. Everyone should add that--if they feel the need to--to their applications. I'll add another post to Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Game's sample application thread, as well as the application instructions. This one will be purely optional, with the caveat that if it's not added, I'm not that interested in suddenly being told later, when it happens in the game. Also, if there's something you would like to be kept secret from your fellow players, by all means, put it in for-my-eyes-only bubble.