The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

Eh, we'll be fine.  Just have the barbarian smash open locks and send in the least popular character to spring the traps.

Wait, that's probably Hunni.

Uh, send in the kender, they all know how to spring locks and stuff!

1 hour ago, tbgg said:

I just ran through the party's tool proficiencies.

We have 2 proficiencies with smith's tools, and one each with mason's tools, Brewer's supplies, and land vehicles.

If Merituuli doesn't want to be locked into the same tools and we want to let him be a floater in terms of tool proficiencies, I'm thinking Mery could take Thieves' Tools, maybe Cooking Utensils, and a skill, (maybe Stealth?) if we want her to swap to Skilled.  We don't to my knowledge have anyone who can scout.  Mery isn't extremely well suited for it, but once she can grab Invisibility, I think she should probably do okay.  

I'll wait to hear thoughts from the group before moving forward with the change.

@PhoenixSlayer  Hey, so cool you got selected! 

Thanks, looks like we've got a fun party!

Who needs thieves tools when you've got knock. But yes, if Mery picks them up and is decent with them that would probably be sensible. Don't think we've got anyone with medicine either, but probably less of an issue. Land Vehicles and Navigation Tools are the other ones that might see a role? Or a Herbalism Kit? Maybe Forgery as well, though don't know how much that fits Merys character. Guess calligrapher's tools would maybe fit her too, but not sure how much use that would see in play, even with Tasha's expanded tools uses!

Land Vehicles was the other tool prof I was considering for Artanis rather than Smith's tools, which I picked up largely thinking of horse shoes in background, and minor repairs to riding and armor. Hardly going to put smith the dwarven forge cleric though! Maybe he can be a good apprentice 

@PureChance

I thought about the calligrapher's tools, but like you decided that they wouldn't see a ton of use.  The herbalism kit could work in place of Medicine, although Mery already has Healing Word.  And Coltan can obviously heal as well.  And let's not forget our homebrew rule on healing that allows the rolling of extra hit dice when being healed, too.  And, depending on whether we use this rule (which might not be necessary or something Rin wants to limit given our homebrew healing rule), well-cooked meals from Cook's Utensils can provide extra healing during short rests.

And actually, I forgot something:  I wanted Mery to be proficient in Painter's Supplies for character reasons - her quirk/flaw is going to be that she wants to draw or study bad guys when the party is supposed to be fleeing, and I also want her to be able to make drawings for her book.

Navigation Tools kind of fit Merituuli, if @PhoenixSlayer is open to the idea.  Also, pipe up if there are tools whose use particularly appeals to you.

I can justify thieves' tools on the basis of... maybe her family's business had a particularly tricksy door where thieves' tools wound up being the easiest way to deal with it, so she decided to learn how to use the tools.  I'd rather NOT do forgery, although in terms of forging documents, it sort of fits.

Of all the tools we've been discussing, the only one Mery could actually afford to purchase right now is the Cook's Utensils.  So even if she gets the proficiency for other tools from the feat, we'd have to wait for the tools.  

@JubalBreakbottle In terms of crafting tools, how does that work?  Do we pay half the listed value and then make some kind of dice roll?

I think I'll go ahead and make this change and grab proficiency for Thieves' Tools, Painter's Tools, and, tentatively, Cook's Utensils.

I thought the bonus healing from cooks tools was the remit of the chef feat? If it did, it would make our short rest healing crazy efficient with song of rest and chefs tools - HD+1d6+1d8. Even just song of rest is good for that though.

Fundamentally though, as people have told me, play what you think would be fun too!

Also, looking through the party's skills, we've not actually anyone trained in anything dex based, and are hilariously bad at stealth with at least half of us having disadvantage. Clunk clank.

I don't worry about healing much in 5e.  It is pretty hard to die, and we get full with a long rest, so as long as we can limp back out of the dungeon we'll probably be fine.

Same with thieves tools.  We can't even afford them yet, by the time we can, we might be able to find a way around them anyway.  Smashing open locks, sending summons down potentially trapped corridors, tricking the barbarian into opening the trapped door, knock spells, whatever.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Loving your discussion already!

Sorry for the delay. I had half of a tooth extracted today, and we need to figure out what to do with the other half on the 3rd. Tooth extraction is very very unfun when you're awake. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out as a 17-year-old, I was put to sleep for the procedure. This one? a little local anesthetic. @_@

@Kamishiro_Rin No worries, we completely understand.  Hope you get through the rest of the procedure okay!

@JubalBreakbottle  Ooh, sweet!  That'll be a huge timesaver, I'm sure, once we get a bit of gold.

@PureChance Well, the bonus is bigger with the Chef's feat.  Without it, according to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, it's 1 extra HP per HD that you roll for during a short rest if we have the food available and Mery cooks using the utensils.  We could maybe see how we do with healing with our current setup and have the Chef's feat be on the backburner as something Mery might pick up later if it looks like we need it.  I kinda liked the Cook's Utensils for RP purposes as much as anything, and the idea of being able to bring a smile to the warriors' faces with a nice tasty meal (if we have the food).  Since Mery definitely won't be doing a ton of damage in combat, she has to compensate somehow, lol.

Are you saying you don't see any value in us having a scout?  I get that with so many clankety-clanks in the party, we won't be effective as a group at sneaking up on bad guys, but isn't there still value in finding out what may be ahead of (or even behind) us?  That was my main thought behind us having a scout. We can probably use Merituuli's companion for at least some of that, but I was thinking there might be situations that need a humanoid read on whatever's there.  Like Merituuli's companion could be our primary scout, and Mery could fill in if needed, though she'd need to wait for 3rd to do much scouting.  

@tbggoh right, missed that bit in Tasha's. Yeah it's still a small added benefit. Song of rest alone is pretty good, and chef feat on top is probably overkill unless you ended up wanting to take it for RP purposes. I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff you'd rather take.

No not suggesting there's no benefit to a scout, just amused myself with images of comically bad sneakiness. Like my 4 year old trying to creep around or play hide and seek. I'd forgotten about Merituuli's companion actually, and an osprey is likely to make a good scout most of the time though.

Obviously it'll have a hard time dodging all that lightning that's just sprung up !

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)