Sheet Folders in Testing ×

What are you writing?

cailano

Just some short stories. I have one I'll be sending out for attempted publication soon and a couple more that I want to finish before I take a stab at a novel. My short bursts are only about 500 words per day, so it'll take me a few months. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DiazExMachina said:

Last year I thought about starting a Solo RPG to become better at writing. Sadly my procrastination has won every time I tried to start 😔

If anyone has any suggestion about how to stop worrying and start a Solo RPG game, feel free to share them with me 😅

I don't know if this would help you, but there's some cool solo plays out there that could serve as inspiration. I can recommend Me Myself & Die and The Bad Spot, for example (both are on YouTube). I'm sure there's many more I've never heard of. They helped me kickstart my own solos.

I've thought about doing some solo gaming. I also thought about a gimmick for a fantasy story wherein combats would play out using mechanics from an RPG, and I'd have round-by-round summaries at the back of the book, along with a couple of photos.

Ultimately, I just decided to focus on writing great (or at least pretty darn good) stories.

My latest short story is a fantasy piece about a healer and her attempt to help a family in her village deal with a haunting. I was targeting 7500 words for it, but I lost control and think it will come in more like 10,000. The length makes it an auto-reject for most zines, so I'm not sure what to do with it. When editing is done it should be pretty good. Too long, but good.

I think I'll have to save it for a collection or else try to expand it into a novella and self-publish it. I need to learn to write shorter short stories.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:15 AM, cailano said:

What's holding you back?

They need to be edited. I'm bad at self editing. I've "run" them through Grammerly but they need developmental editing. They're all kind of linked with the same characters about 30? And set in the same "universe" they're also not one genre and a bit silly at times. My wife said they'd be better as a comic book.

I can never commit to writing an actual story.

On one hand, I feel like most stories have already been told. You have to find a good niche, which in my opinion involves writing from your own experiences (so it's authentic).

On the other hand, I feel like writing a story is like playing a game with God Mode on. I don't know what's "too much" and how far is "too far" to be believable/enjoyable.

On a third hand (wait what), I feel like my autism gets in the way of being able to tell a relatable story, since I don't experience reality the same way others do. What makes sense to me can be alien to others, and vice versa.

On the final hand (uhhh), I feel like nothing I could write would be something people would want to spend time reading. (This is probably just my lack of self-confidence and hate of competition)

This is why I have come to love solo RPGs so much. It's like getting to write that cool story you always wanted, but the rules keep good boundaries and limitations in place to keep me in check. Plus, I don't have to impress anyone but me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:48 PM, Malkavian Grin said:

On one hand, I feel like most stories have already been told. You have to find a good niche, which in my opinion involves writing from your own experiences (so it's authentic).

I was just browsing and came across this, and honestly I haven't seen things from this perspective until now. Writing something that actually happened to you feels less of a cliché 😄

I had an idea for a novel that's been sitting in my head for a decade now. I've actually tried to write it out but looking back on it all it was was just a bunch of cool ideas I thought I had and compressed them as much as I could. Fell into a writer's block and eventually gave up on it after I discovered TTRPGs, and just thought I should incorporate this idea as a campaign instead. I found that while it's hard to come up with ideas, I'm pretty good at improvising when push comes to shove and I'm forced to come up with something on the spot, no matter how dumb I initially think it is. I tried writing again on and off, but it never worked out.

Recently, after 10 years, I decided to revisit the idea of writing again and try to fully commit to it. So here goes.