Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Noriko’s Sidebar — Sister to Sister

iantruesilver

On 1/27/2023 at 7:49 PM, iantruesilver said:

"Anyway, good luck, let me know how it goes.  I've got to go and pick up a few things for tomorrow." Carrying a wicker basket as though she was going on a picnic, Ameiko pushes the door open to go though.  "Noriko, you're coming with me."

spacer.pngJust outside the Rusty Dragon, after having made a passing remark at Darhana, Ameiko practically yanks her sister Noriko aside, handing her a basket that had been stacked into the one she herself was carrying. 一緒に歩いて、順ちん。 Walk with me, Nori-chin.

*〜ちん (~chin): Further diminutive form of 〜ちゃん (~chan), which is in itself a diminutive of the 〜さん (~san) honorific. Typically used toward children, specially girls, or younger women with whom you are intimate or familiar, also pets and mascot characters. Common use of this diminutive is often contracted into the subject’s name.

“Look. I know I was a little abrasive with you back there, sis. Don’t take it personally.” She says to Noriko as they walk down Market Street, headed in the direction for the square, “You’re coming into your own now, as a young woman. You’re growing up faster than I wanted you to you know, but it’s not like I can stop you.”

Passing the Mercantile League building, Ameiko stops before turning the corner at the front of Sandpoint Meat Market, hanging out there at the edge of the building for a moment. There, she lowered her voice, leaning a little closer to her sister,  “I’ve never told you about that time I went off adventuring with Sandru when I was your age, did I?”

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

spacer.pngNoriko is walking with her sister, listening at first, but not replying... just getting a feel for what Ameiko wants to talk about.  When the older sister mentions adventuring with Sandru, the young girl looks both surprised and intrigued, for she hasn't told anyone that she's been thinking about exactly that... but not knowing how to propose it to Sandru; because he obviously likes Ameiko a lot.  "No... you never said anything about that... what happened?"

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

spacer.png“Well, you know why I left, I hardly have to remind you how it is at dad’s.” Ameiko heaved a heavy sigh, then took a moment before have continued, “Anyway, Sandru… well he had a younger brother.”

”Alder was a young Shelyn priest. He was drop dead handsome. But more than all of that, Alder was a selfless, caring man.” For a moment, Ameiko’s eyes gleamed as though she was in love at this very moment, but then it faded and her expression sobered, “Anyway, we got run down and captured by some cannibals inside an old mine somewhere on the Fogscar Mountains, but it was Alder that got us a way out to escape.”

“You have to understand, Nori-chin, Alder… he… he saved my life. During our escape while we were getting into a little rowboat, I got bit twice by one of the cannibal’s vipers. And if it wasn’t for Alder, if he didn’t shoved me out of the way and into the boat…” It was then when the words went from being pained to being choked off completely.

spacer.pngNoriko looks shocked, "Do you mean... he died?"  The young woman stops, hugging her sister, "Oh, Ameiko... he saved you and perished himself.  What an exemplary man... but, wait... you were in love with Alder.  I always thought that you and Sandro were... well, at least that you had an understanding."  Noriko shakes her head and hugs you harder, "I'm so sorry that you went through that... that loss."

spacer.png“No no, Sandru and I are friends. There’s nothing more than that.” Ameiko replied when Noriko parroted some of the rumours she must’ve heard around the inn. Holding her close, the elder of the two sisters took some time to compose herself, focusing on her breathing. “Now you know why Sandru and I never talked about what happened. And now you know about my tattoo.”

“And you mustn’t tell a soul.” Saying that, she pushed Noriko back so she can stare her dead pan serious in the eyes, to confirm she understands and will obey her sister’s wish.

Having the confirmation, she nods and continues walking, taking Noriko to the Sandpoint Market, where she started to pick over some produce at a stall, “Anyway, all I’m saying is be careful. Don’t go being foolish and taking risks. I don’t need your friends coming back having to tell me no bad news.”

spacer.pngNoriko nods, wiping away a tear for her dear sister's loss.  "I would never mention it to any, save those who already know, of course.  I guess that is you and I and Sandro."  The young girl blinks a second tear, "Oh Ameiko, to have found your love and lost him so soon and so tragically, that is the worst of luck.  Of course I will never do anything to make you worry for me."

“Not even him really. I don’t want to upset him.”

The Sandpoint Market is busy enough for it being a Moonday, perhaps because it’s nearing the Swallowtail Festival, or possibly because Sandru’s caravan has just settled in, having arrived from Riddleport and a string of other little towns on the way.

Though it seems he isn’t currently there, the rest of Sandru’s crew are busy setting up some very interesting merchandise, anything from spices to candies to jewelry and many other things brought with them along their way.

Ameiko takes the time to buy some nice vegetables for the Rusty Dragon, distributing the purchases between her basket and yours.

spacer.pngNoriko seems a bit perturbed at how Ameiko closes the conversation, ended it really.  The young woman is quiet for a bit, helping her sister to purchase everything she needs to get for the inn, but it is obvious that she wanted to keep talking about this siutaiton but feels now that her sister has closed a door that Noriko had barely seen opened.

"Perhaps we could all discuss it sometime in the future... it is not good to let things that involve our feelings be closed and vever visited."

At Noriko’s persistence about the topic, Ameiko shot her a deathlike glare, one that immediately said more than words ever could.

Pretty soon, having stacked both baskets full of vegetables, Ameiko indicated it was time to head back to the Rusty Dragon.

Lugging a bunch of fresh produce, you head back the way you came, retracing your steps more or less as you make your way back down Market Street.

Filling the awkward void with conversation, Ameiko starts, “So, that boy Lars, what do you think about him Nori-chin?”

(( Perception check please. ))

spacer.pngNoriko raises a brow, at Ameiko's glare, and silence, and question.  "He seems okay.  He worships Desna, I've seen him at the temple a couple of times.  Seems kind of shy and introverted... but, definitely not my type.  I have a much better catch in mind."

Name
Perception
1d20 7

“Oh? My little sister really is growing up.” Ameiko nudged her sister with an elbow as they turned the little corner around the butcher shop, the corner of her lips crooking up a bit in a smirk as she delivers a jab, “Listen, stop it. Nobody ever said you were allowed to grow up that quickly ya hear?”

ちくしょう!* ちくしょう!: Expletive, meaning “Oh shit!”The expletive was more like breathed than it was muttered, and at first it seemed absolutely random that Ameiko would swear out of the blue, but then you see the reason why.

Up ahead along Market Street, merchants are scrambling to get their wares off their streetside stalls, women hurriedly grab their children and duck to the side, as three noisy boars charge down toward you from the direction of south gate.

Just in front of the Rusty Dragon, a clean looking Sandru turns to the commotion, shrugs his shoulders like it ain’t no thang, and calmly draws his scimitar.

[[ Map — Outside the Rusty Dragon ]]

Name
Ameiko Perception
1d20+4 10

spacer.pngNoriko's eyes flash as she sees her best friend in danger.  The young girl launches herself forward at a run toward the charging boars, and doing a quick analysis of the danger, she selects the one she think is the male boar4 and gestures, speaking words that pin the creatures shadow to the ground, entangling the beast. 

Name
Initiative
1d20+4 3

Combat — Round 1

Initiative Order

PCs: Average (A 22, S 20, N 7) = 16.33

Boars: 13

spacer.png

Finding herself ill-equipped for a duo and a half of charging boars, Ameiko quickly collected the basket of vegetables from her sister, placing them safely on the ground against a wall, before running forward towards Sandru.

Noticing the sow terrifically close to a child that had stumbled and fallen during the commotion, Sandru disregards the hog and charges in to intercept, slashing the sow deep in the left shoulder blade.

While the piglet squeals behind the sow’s heels, the hog keeps charging forward, for the time being oblivious to the sow’s distress. By the time it realizes something was off, wisps of its own shadow has already spilled up to entangle the hog’s legs, anchoring it to its current spot in the street.

Name
Ameiko Initiative
1d20+3 19
Sandru Initiative
1d20+2 18
Boar Initiative
1d20 13
Sandru Charge v 5
18; 10
1d20+7;1d6+5 [11]; [11,5]
H,J,N,LB,RB,L,LH,RH,LF,RF,LR,RR
1d12 4
4 Will Save
1d20+1 6

spacer.pngAs she runs forward, Noriko senses her ancestors forming up around her, ready to do their immaterial best to protect her from the danger she is placing herself in.  The young girl has her star dagger out, and pauses before reaching the struggling boar, preparing to attack it next opportunity with her heirloom weapon.

Combat — Round 2

Initiative Order

PCs: Average (A 22, S 20, N 7) = 16.33

Boars: 13

spacer.png

The front door to the Rusty Dragon opens, and from behind peeks the usually cheery face of Bethana Corwin, one of the barmaids who has been employed there since Ameiko took over the Inn. “Ah ‘erd sum commotion out ‘dere. Lard tundrin’ Caydun, what’s gettin’ on ‘ere‽”

“Oi! Mind now lasses!” She pokes her head back out after ducking in for a split moment, then tosses something into the air, “Ameiko! ‘Ere’s yer rapier.”

Exactly on queue, Ameiko sprinted forward and launched herself into the air, catching the weapon mid-aerial somersault, which for a while looked pretty cool, watching her draw the weapon in midair, but then she must’ve took her landing a little too hard, and the step back to balance herself turned out taking her just inches too far from her mark.

At least that leaves you a good opening to flank the beast and lock him down…

Ahead, Sandru roars as he flicks the blade of his scimitar back upward, driving the edge through the face of the sow. With a bloodcurdling squeal, it falls over to its side, thrashing for a moment before it stops moving.

Behind, the piglet confusedly lets out a couple of seeking calls to its mother, but hesitates against advancing upon its obviously much deadlier opponent.

Reacting animalistically to the pained squeal of the sow, the hog swings around and thrashes its horns at its attacker, driving the sharp end of one directly into Ameiko’s unarmoured abdomen.

(( Correction to rolls: Ameiko’s +1 Mithral Rapier should’ve rolled 4 Atk and 5 Dmg, which is still ineffective. Sandru’s +1 Scimitar should’ve rolled 19 Atk ))

Name
Ameiko Acrobatics
1d20+7 15
Ameiko Rapier v 4
3; 4
1d20;1d6 [3]; [3,4]
Sandru Power Attack v 5
1d20 18
Dmg
1d6+7 5
H,J,N,LB,RB,L,LH,RH,LF,RF,LR,RR
1d12 1