Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Announcement Banners Keep Coming Back

BlueTrillium

This is a pretty minor annoyance, but figured I'd never find out if I didn't ask --

Is there a reason why the announcement banners won't stay gone after I dismiss them? What I mean is, they do stay gone through the current login session where I dismissed them, but after I log out and log back in again, there they are again and I have to dismiss them again. I will note that I do clear my cache/cookies often, in case that's a factor.

It is irritating, because on original MW, if I dismissed an announcement, it stayed gone forever regardless of how many times I've logged out since I dismissed it, or how many times I cleared my cookies/cache, etc. It was a handy way to dismiss the ones I already read and wasn't interested in, or no longer applied, while keeping around the ones I wasn't done with yet or wanted to keep an eye on.

It's especially irritating for stuff like that Poll one, that I already responded to and there's no purpose for it to be there for me any longer. And of course the more ongoing announcements there are, the more clicks it takes to get rid of them every time and the more screen real-estate they take up. Right now there's only two - the Kalamazoo Meetup, and the Poll, but... I could see this potentially piling up, especially when the swap to Baldr goes into full swing I imagine there will be extra announcements to help guide the influx of last-second newbies.

So... if we could make it work like MW, where once I dismiss a particular announcement, it no longer appears for my account, that would be awesome. Kinda like a 'mark forum as read', but for announcements. But if we can't, well, it's not the end of the world. ^_^ Had to ask.

Clearing cache/cookies/localstorage will cause the banners to reappear, because that's Invision's mechanism for capturing read status (rather than storing in the central database). However, typically our banner announcements are set to expire on a certain date (the poll one goes away tomorrow, MWM closer to the event date), so they should not pile up infinitely.