Dice Tower Command Line Help/Documentation

hoverfrog

I can't think of any systems where you would get to roll a dice pool that looked like, say (1d10+5, 1d10+2 and 1d10+9) and keep the highest let alone a pool like (1d6+1, 1d10+4, 1d20+5).

I think its kind of an edge case and its most likely to happen because people (me..) go 'oh i need to roll a d20 and there is a mod on the dice so +5 and oh i have to keep the highest' instead of 'i need to roll a set of dice, where i keep the highest, and the dice look like this'

Should just be as easy as saying 'if you want to use X style, use Y order'. I think the only problem comes because the error is sort of arcane to the uninitiated. As you can tell I did figure it out by just going 'oh well what if i put the mod last' but you know what they say about trusting the end user.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

Yeah, we'll make sure the documentation covers this, and provide better error messages. It's hard to think like a computer sometimes, but the Tower is just following order of operations and doesn't have any memory of the previous step other than the result. So when you ask it for 2d20+6, it can easily roll [10][14] and add 6 to get 30, but as soon as you say "but only use one part of the previous step", it's lost because it's effectively forgotten [10][14] at that point. While it's probably possible tell the Tower how to handle this specific circumstance, it gets crazy if we have to program every possible sequence of operations, so we go with what works 99% of the time.