Sheet Folders in Testing ×

"Copy Roll(s)" Interface

Eric

"Copy Rolls" Interface  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the Copy Rolls interface go?

• Click on the die icon to copy all rolls, and an individual result to copy that roll
    • Add new link buttons for Copy All and Copy
    • I have another idea

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/2023 at 10:00 PM

I am currently looking at where to put the interface points for the "copy dice roll(s)" functionality that will allow users to quickly grab a previous set of rolls so they can be pasted into another post. (Pasting into the command line interface already works.) I have two potential options that seem the most obvious, and I'd like input along with any other ideas you might have.

1. Make the existing die icon at the top of the table and the result of each roll clickable. In this motif, clicking on the die icon would copy all the dice roll strings in the entire table, while clicking on the individual roll result would copy the string for that one roll. Pro: No busy new elements on the interface. Con: Not obvious/intuitive that these items are overloaded with functionality, requiring more user learning. image.png.bac8f172c07ab87f16983a46edea7911.png
  2. Add a new link or button to the right of the dice entry icons (or in their place when they're not visible), and a similar link or button next to the roll string for each individual roll. Pro: Easily understood. Con: More elements on interface, additional click to get to the interface to copy an individual roll since the detailed roll string -> results is normally hidden. image.png.1ca2f11d2a452944667470193f378f20.png

I prefer option A. It takes a little more learning - but not a lot - and people will have to do some learning to understand how the dice tower works anyway, so putting 'press this button to copy' as the first bulletpoint in learning the dice tower is probably enough. It also looks a lot cleaner and just nicer than option to, with more elements on the page, the dice tower DOES have a lot of elements on it already and could become overwhelming.

I would say use the way that keeps the system the most simple, code wise.  Less code to maintain and less code that can develop bugs or other strange issues.  We users can adapt to any of the options and in a couple of months after it's implemented people won't want it any other way.

My suggestion is to use the die icon to copy for both instances:

1. Click on the die icon at the top to copy all rolls
  2. Click on a die icon that appears to the left of the name of an individual roll to copy it

My reasons are that you only have to learn that the die icon is used to copy rolls and that when copying an individual roll it makes more sense to me that one would be looking at the name and not the result to decide which roll to copy.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:34 AM, jokomaisu said:

My suggestion is to use the die icon to copy for both instances:

1. Click on the die icon at the top to copy all rolls
  2. Click on a die icon that appears to the left of the name of an individual roll to copy it

My reasons are that you only have to learn that the die icon is used to copy rolls and that when copying an individual roll it makes more sense to me that one would be looking at the name and not the result to decide which roll to copy.

I really like this answer for the most part. The only challenge is that location (the name half of the row) currently expands the detailed dice results, so it feels like there might be too much going on there. One potential solution would be to move the expand functionality to the result half of the row?

59 minutes ago, Eric said:

I really like this answer for the most part. The only challenge is that location (the name half of the row) currently expands the detailed dice results, so it feels like there might be too much going on there. One potential solution would be to move the expand functionality to the result half of the row?

This is the superior choice. I have for awhile wondered why i was clicking on the name and not the results. I would instinctively click on the numbers (or the image dice as the case may be) to try and expand the detailed results.

Moving this function to the the results column would fix both problems at the same time.

2 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

This is the superior choice. I have for awhile wondered why i was clicking on the name and not the results. I would instinctively click on the numbers (or the image dice as the case may be) to try and expand the detailed results.

Moving this function to the the results column would fix both problems at the same time.

I agree with this 100% 👍

On 1/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, Neopopulas said:

I do the same thing and also agree this is a good fix.

• 2 weeks later...