Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Interest Check: 5e Kingmaker or 5e Shackled City

bwatford

Looking at starting up a new game in the coming weeks and just wanted to get some feedback from the community.

With the release of the 5e Bestiary for Kingmaker and the new Kingmaker hardcover that incorporates things from the original AP as well as the video game. I was thinking of either running it here or doing a 5e conversion of the old Shackled City AP. I know another thread is discussing running a Pathfinder version as well.

I am sure Kingmaker will get the most pomp and applications, I am just not sure if Kingmaker is played out. I mean most people who have played the video game or rpg know what is going to happen, etc. Just not sure if you could keep interest long term.

On the other hand, most modern gamers have not played Shackled City, and I have never run it. A 5e version would open the AP up to a new group of gamers. Just wanted to get some feedback to help me decide which one to run and/or which one the community would like to see.

Thoughts?

Also going to post this thread on OGMW as well....

I own the Kingmaker game for pathfinder and enjoy the premise but have never sunk the time into playing the whole thing through. I'd love the chance to write up a character and play in a serious game where I am better motivated by other writers.

I am thinking an Uthgart human rogue with infernal influence, using the variant human to take a feat and gain 120ft dark vision to represent the mixed blood. Maybe a dip into sorcerer later. 🙂

Edited by IWantBapo (see edit history)

Kingmaker is overplayed, but that's because of the appeal: it's amorphous and takes on the shape of those who play it. Every PbP Kingmaker I've ever joined I ended up running because the DM bailed and those inevitably petered out from attrition. It's a hard game to run in PbP, in my experience, but I love it, and I'd love to see what 5e's updates have done. I hear good things.

City of Shackles I've always been curious about. I got into a game a decade ago on another site that lasted all of three posts from me before the DM bailed.

Part of the appeal of either is the setting: which ones would you use for either? Golarion, Greyhawk, irrelevant and you'd just homebrew based on story and player needs?

5 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

Part of the appeal of either is the setting: which ones would you use for either? Golarion, Greyhawk, irrelevant and you'd just homebrew based on story and player needs?

I would run them in their native setting.

Kingmaker runs in Golarion. 
Shackled City runs in Greyhawk.

Although I could see Shackled City being ported easily to other settings (looking at you Kaer Maga).

Looks like I am going with Kingmaker.

It is going to take a little while to convert the players guide material to a proper 5e version. Luckily the first 8 pages is all we need to start. Also want to get relative Golarion info into a thread so we will have regional info available to help with character building for those unfamiliar with the setting.

Should have an ad up sometime in the next few weeks. By the end of the month at the latest.