Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Scarecrow's Field

Scarecrow71

Orrin Hollowhammer

“From the stone we came, so to the stone we return. Or something like that.”

spacer.png

Basic Information

Race: Hill Dwarf | Sex: M | Age: 55 | Height: 4' 1" | Weight: 159 Lbs. | Alignment: LN

Background: Clan Crafter (Stonemason) | Class: Monk 1 | Future Subclass:

Personality

"Stonemasonry ain't one of them more...subtle...crafts. Takes years of dedication. Let me tell you all about my time in apprenticeship..."

I like to talk at length about my profession.
I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can't help it - I'm a perfectionist.

Ideals

"Strength in numbers ain't just a saying, boy. There's wisdom in knowing your place in the clan."

Community. It is the duty of all civilized people to strengthen the bonds of community and the security of civilization.

Bond

"Again, let us talk about my apprenticeship, and what I learned therein."

I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.

Flaw

"Whaddaya mean 'done'? We could easily expand this room. Besides, don't ya want to know what other secrets lie down here?"

I'm never satisfied with what I have - I always want more.

Proficiency Bonus +2 |  AC: 17 |  Max HP: 13 |  Speed: 25 ft. |  PP: 14 |  Init: +3 |  Darkvision: 60 ft.

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(+0)
(+3)
(+4)
(+0)
(+4)
(-1)
+2 STR Save +5 DEX Save +4 CON Save +0 INT Save +4 WIS Save -1 CHA Save
+0 Athletics +5 Acrobatics
+3 Sleight of Hand
+5 Stealth
  +0 Arcana
+2 History
+0 Investigation
+0 Nature
+0 Religion
+4 A. Handling
+6 Insight
+4 Medicine
+4 Perception
+4 Survival
-1 Deception
-1 Intimidation
-1 Performace
-1 Persuasion

Actions

spacer.pngAttacks
Unarmed Strike (melee) +5 to hit, 1d4+3 B | Martial Arts
Short Sword (melee) +5 to hit, 1d6+3 P | Finesse, Light, Martial Arts, Underwater

spacer.pngBonus Actions
Martial Arts: When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action, provided you have at least 1 bonus action to use.

Features

spacer.png Class Features
Martial Arts: You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or using a shield:

You can use DEX instead of STR for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk wepaons.

You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table.

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action, provided you have at least 1 bonus action to use.

Unarmored Defense: While not wearing armor, your AC equals 10 + DEX modifier + WIS modifier.

spacer.png Tools
Mason's Tools, Smith's Tools, Tocken

spacer.png Languages
Common, Dwarvish, Deep Speech

spacer.png Weapons & Armors
Simple Weapons, Short Sword

spacer.png Feats & Other

spacer.png Racial & Background Features
Darkvision: 60ft.
Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws vs. poison, and you have resistance to damage from poison.
Dwarven Combat Training: You are proficient with the Battleaxe, Handaxe, Light Hammer, and Warhammer.
Stonecunning: Add double your proficiency bonus to Intelligence (History) checks on any stonework.
Dwarven Toughness: Your hit point maximum increase by +1 every level.

Equipment

Unless otherwise specified, all equipment listed here is what Orrin would have started with had he not been enslaved prior to the start of the game.

spacer.pngWeapons
Light Hammer
10 Darts

spacer.png Armor
None

spacer.png Magic Items
None

spacer.png Other Equipment
Dungeoneer's Pack (a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, a waterskin, 50 feet of hempen rope)
A set of Smith's Tools
A Maker's Mark chisel
Traveler's Clothes
Belt Pouch

spacer.png Treasure
Platinum 0 pp
Gold 5 gp
Silver 0 sp
Copper 0 gp
1 Gem worth 10 gp

Concept

A member of the Hollowhammer clan, situated on the southeaster side of the Sunset Mountains, north and west of the Bridge of Fallen Men. A skilled miner who, along with several other clan members, were simply working to build a new tunnel when the supports gave and the tunnel partially collapsed. The collapse opened up several nearby crevasses, all wide enough for someone to slip through; these were direct passages to previously-unknown (to the Dwarves, anyhow) caves inhabited by the Drow. Orrin and his mining company were quickly scooped up in the confusion of the cave-in, knocked unconscious and dragged off to the pens before the dust even settled. He believes that the collapse was not an accident.

Appearance

A typical dwarf, really. Broad shoulders and chest, stout legs, long hair and beard. He has a tendency to make sure his hands never touch the inside of a glove, unless he has to pick up something really hot or really cold; he hates having his hands covered for any reason.

Edited by Scarecrow71 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

4Sb8UFw.png

Name: Name Nature: Nature Generation: Generation
Player: Player Demeanor: Essence Concept: Concept
Chronicle: Chronicle Clan: Clan Sire: Sire

image.png.9f96883343b18f3c9a394054b9ca041f.png

PHYSICAL
Strength ●○○○○
Dexterity ●○○○○
Stamina ●○○○○

SOCIAL
Charisma ●○○○○
Manipulation ●○○○○
Appearance ●○○○○

MENTAL
Perception ●○○○○
Intelligence ●○○○○
Wits ●○○○○

image.png.753f3296776370d10cd1fdc3a508eb8e.png 

TALENTS
Alertness ○○○○○
Athletics ○○○○○
Awareness ○○○○○
Brawl ○○○○○
Empathy ○○○○○
Expression ○○○○○
Intimidation ○○○○○
Leadership ○○○○○
Legerdemain ○○○○○
Subterfuge ○○○○○

SKILLS
Animal Ken ○○○○○
Archery ○○○○○
Commerce ○○○○○
Crafts ○○○○○
Etiquette ○○○○○
Melee ○○○○○
Performance ○○○○○
Ride ○○○○○
Stealth ○○○○○
Survival ○○○○○

KNOWLEDGES
Academics ○○○○○
Enigmas ○○○○○
Hearth Wisdom ○○○○○
Investigation ○○○○○
Law ○○○○○
Medicine ○○○○○
Occult ○○○○○
Politics ○○○○○
Seneschal ○○○○○
Theology ○○○○○

image.png.69abd202c6bd475c19592746738b2281.png

DISCIPLINES

Discipline ○○○○○

Discipline ○○○○○

Discipline ○○○○○

Discipline ○○○○○

Discipline ○○○○○

BACKGROUNDS

Background ○○○○○

Background ○○○○○

Background ○○○○○

Background ○○○○○

Background ○○○○○

VIRTUES

Conscience/Conviction ●○○○○

Self-Control/Instinct ●○○○○

Courage ●○○○○

MERITS/FLAWS

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

Merit/Flaw ○○○○○

ROAD

Road
●○○○○ ○○○○○
Aura: Aura ( )

WILLPOWER
●●●●● ○○○○○
□□□□□ □□□□□

BLOOD POOL
□□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□
□□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□ □□□□□
Blood Per Turn: ■

HEALTH
Bruised       □
Hurt -1       □
Injured -1    □
Wounded -2    □
Mauled -2     □
Crippled -5   □
Incapacitated □

WEAKNESS
Weakness

EXPERIENCE
Experience

Edited by Scarecrow71 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Alphaeus Junius
Merchant Cartographer and 1st Degree Transmuter

Wizard/Sorcerer D&D Character Dump - Imgur | Character portraits, Fantasy  wizard, Dungeons and dragons characters
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Class: Wizard 2
Background: Guild Merchant

Passive Perception: 14
Passive Investigation: 15
Passive Insight: 14

Hit Points: 11
Hit Dice: 2d6
AC: 11 (14 w/Mage Armor)
Initiative: +1
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet

"Following the road is only part of the journey.  One must SEE the road to truly understand."

ABILITIES & SKILLS

Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

(+0)

(+1)

(+1)

(+3)

(+2)

(-1)

Save +0 Save +1 Save +1 Save +5 Save +4 Save -1
Athletics +0

Acrobatics +1

Sleight of Hand +1

Stealth +1

Arcana +5

History +3

Investigation +5

Nature +3

Religion +3

Animal Handling +2

Insight +4

Medicine +2

Perception +4

Survival +2

Deception -1

Intimidation -1

Performance -1

Persuasion +1

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES LANGUAGES CLASS ABILITIES RACIAL TRAITS FEATS

Cartographer's Tools

Daggers

Darts

Slings

Quarterstaffs

Light Crossbows

Common

Dwarven

Elvish

Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you're a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.

Ritual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Arcane Tradition (Transmutation Savant)Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy a transmutation spell into your spellbook is halved.

When you gain a level, one of the two spells you learn for gaining a level can be a transmutation magic spell, even if you’ve never encountered the spell before. Similarly, when you learn a new cantrip, it can be a transmutation magic cantrip, even if you’ve never previously encountered it.

Minor AlchemyStarting at 2nd level when you select this school, you can temporarily alter the physical properties of one nonmagical object, changing it from one substance into another. You perform a special alchemical procedure on one object composed entirely of wood, stone (but not a gemstone), iron, copper, or silver, transforming it into a different one of those materials. For each 10 minutes you spend performing the procedure, you can transform up to 1 cubic foot of material. After 1 hour, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell), the material reverts to its original substance.

Ability Score Increase2 different Ability scores of your choice each increase by +1.

Skill ProficiencyYou gain proficiency in 1 Skill of your choice.

Magic InitiateChoose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class's spell list.

In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level.
Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.

Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose; Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid; or Intelligence for wizard.

8437-200.pngATTACKS

WEAPON TO HIT DAMAGE PROPERTIES / (RANGE)
Quarterstaff +2 1d6 Bludgeoning Versatile (1d8)
Attack Spell (Int) +5 By Spell By Spell
Attack Spell (Wis) +4 By Spell By Spell

spacer.pngPREPARED SPELLS

Spell Slots: 3/3 (1st)

WIZARD - Spell Save DC: 13 Spell Attack Mod: +5 Spells Prepared: 5

DRUID - Spell Save DC: 12 Spell Attack Mod: +4 Spells Known: 1

CANTRIPS 1ST LEVEL 2ND LEVEL 3RD LEVEL

DRUID

Guidance

Poison Spray

WIZARD

Control Flames

Light

Mage Hand

Mold Earth

DRUID

Cure Wounds

WIZARD

Catapult

Color Spray

Expeditious Retreat

Feather Fall

Mage Armor

4TH LEVEL 5TH LEVEL 6TH LEVEL 7TH LEVEL

8TH LEVEL 9TH LEVEL    

spacer.pngWIZARD SPELLBOOK

These spells are not available unless they have been prepared ahead of time. (Unless they are a ritual.)

CANTRIPS 1ST LEVEL 2ND LEVEL 3RD LEVEL

Burning Hands

Catapult

Color Spray

Detect Magic (Ri)

Expeditious Retreat

Feather Fall

Mage Armor

Unseen Servant (Ri)

4TH LEVEL 5TH LEVEL 6TH LEVEL 7TH LEVEL

8TH LEVEL 9TH LEVEL    

(Ri) Denotes ritual spell.

money-dollar-circle-512.pngMONEY

Copper: 0 Silver: 0 Gold: 15 Platinum: 0

(15 Coins * .02 lbs. = 0.3 lbs. Total Weight)

Encumbrance, heaviness, load, mass, sinker, stowage, weight icon - Download  on IconfinderENCUMBRANCE

Weight: 25.3 lbs. / 150 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
Penalty: None

688885-200.pngEQUIPMENT READIED

Equipped Items: (9 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

ARMOR (4 lbs.) WEAPONS (4 lbs.) READIED ITEMS (1 lbs.)
Traveler's Clothes (2gp) - 4 lbs.

Quarterstaff - 4 lbs.

Arcane Focus (Crystal set into Quarterstaff) - 1 lbs.

education_icons_IF-06-512.pngEQUIPMENT STORED

Stored Items: (16 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

IN BACKPACK (16 lbs.) STRAPPED TO BACKPACK (0 lbs.) AT HOME (0 lbs.)

Backpack - 5 lbs.

Spellbook - 3 lbs.

(10) Sheets of Parchment

Bag of Sand - 1 lbs.
Bottle of Ink

Cartographer's Tools - 6 lbs.

Ink Pen

Small Knife - 1 lbs.

Vial of Perfume

Item_necklace_9.pngMAGIC ITEMS

Magic Items: (0 lbs.)

NON-ATTUNED (0.0 lbs) ATTUNED 0/3 (0 lbs.)

CHARACTER OVERVIEW

Appearance
Hair: Brown Eyes: Blue Complexion: Fair

Thin and wiry, Alphaeus looks like a typical member of the Cartographer's guild, his fingers stained with ink and sheets of parchment sticking out of every possible pocket in his clothing.  He has several scars on his face from a gang-related incident in his neighborhood when he was younger, but that doesn't stop him from having a cheerful attitude and trying to talk up everyone he meets.  His clothing is a bit old and outdated, with definite stitching to hold leggings and sleeves together.  He prefers to wear bright colors and flashy pieces of (fake) jewelry.  He isn't trying to draw attention to himself unnecessarily; he just likes what he likes, and he doesn't really care about the people who say he should dress down or stop talking so much.

While he loves his siblings, he longs to understand what happened to his parents.  He never knew his mother or father; he was told at a very young age that they simply disappeared.  Truth be told, they were captured and sold into slavery, shipped far to the west into the hands of evil races for evil purposes.  His mother survived the months-long trek in chains, while his father died along the journey, beaten for not being able to keep up (unrightfully so; the slavers simply wanted to beat the men for whatever reason they could come up with).  The fate of his mother is completely unknown; the slavers didn't use the captives' names, instead calling them by numbers branded into their arms.  And after some time, she forgot who she was, and her memory lost to time itself as she got shuffled and sold more times than one can count.

spacer.pngBACKGROUND

Custom: Guild Merchant

Personality Traits: I'm well-known for my work, and I want to make sure everyone appreciates it.  I'm always taken aback when people haven't heard of me.

I like to talk at length about my profession.

Ideals: Freedom.  Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood.

Bonds: The workshop where I learned my trade is the most important place in the world to me.

Flaws: I'm never satisfied with what I have; I always want more.

Background Feature: Guild Membership (Cartographers, surveyors, and chart-makers).  As a member of a guild, you can rely upon certain benefits that membership provides.  Your fellow guild members will provide food and lodging if necessary.  If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable.  You must pay dues of 5 gold per month to the guild to remain in the guild's good graces.

Backstory
  • Family
    • Mother:  Unknown
    • Father:  Unknown
    • Older Sibling:  Henricus.  Works as a member of the Cartography guild.
    • Older Sibling:  Claudius.  Dismissed from the guild due to imprisonment; found guilty of theft and assault.
    • Younger Sibling:  Abelardus.  Works as a member of the Laborer's guild.
    • Younger Sibling:  Brigitta.  Works in the local temple dedicated to Tyr; has lost her left arm to disease.
  • Home Life
    • Grew up in a small apartment in a run-down neighborhood.  Raised by the older siblings.  Gangs run a large portion of the neighborhood, and they charge for "protection".
    • Seen as strange or different due to being highly intelligent.  Had very few friends.
  • Motivation to Enter the Guild
    • Helped a fellow guild member (Ventricus Cadalaeus) to finish a task under ridiculous time constraints.
    • Mostly ran between shops to acquire map-making supplies, but was able to draw in several missing pieces on smaller maps so that the guild member could finish the more important task.
    • Sponsored by Ventricus upon reaching guild age of 16.
  • Class Origin
    • During internship under Ventricus, was tasked with mapping an area of the forest outside the city.
    • Although Ventricus had maps of this area, the internship was to teach Alphaeus the right way to do things, so a familiar area was selected.
    • During his mapping exercise, Alphaeus came across a recently-uncovered tomb with an open entrance.  While searching the tomb - and, of course, mapping it out - he found an old spellbook.  He studied it nightly, dedicating himself to not just having a profession as a cartographer, but as a Wizard as well.
  • Defining Event
    • Gang attack on his neighborhood.
    • The Orc gang decided they didn't want to live in peace with the Dwarf gang any longer, and war broke out.  Or, rather, a bunch of fighting between the gangs.
    • Brigitta lost her arm in this fight trying to defend the house and Alphaeus and the other siblings.
    • With his newly-found spellbook, Alphaeus decided he needed to help out, and he used some magic to repel the 2 gangs away from his house.
    • The neighborhood still suffered in the days-long fight, but his house was safe.
    • Ventricus found out about the event, and after his guild internship brought him to the attention of a few older members of the guild who were Wizards.
    • Alphaeus began a new apprenticeship, this time to learn magic.

Going to Greenest Because...

The merchant's guild for cartography, surveying, and chart-making wishes to expand both their influence and the areas in which they do business.  Everyone needs maps and charts, from the largest of cities to the smallest of villages.  So when it was known that a caravan was headed in this direction, Alphaeus gladly volunteered to go along for the ride, making maps of the road along the way, and recording the things he did and saw and the people he talked to.  Sure, there were already plenty of maps of the area at large, but a chance to make his own maps and, potentially, correct the ones that existed?  How could he resist?  And if he could possibly set up shop in Greenest or some other village or town along the way, surely the guild would be pleased.

• 6 months later...
Brush Stroke

Con arti...erm...Sorcerer. Yeah.

spacer.png

"Step right up. Left leg, right leg; they call it walking. Can you guess where the ball is hidden? Prizes galore if you can!"

SORCERER (ABERRANT MIND) 1

Medium humanoid female (Kenku), Chaotic Good

Armor Class 12 (15 mage armor)

Hit Points 6 ( 1d6 )
Speed 30' ft.

Senses passive perception 13

Languages common, auran

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
Athletics -1

Dexterity 14 (+2) 
Save +2
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +2

Constitution 10 (0)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 14 (+2)
Save +2 
Arcana +4 | History +2 | Investigation +2 | Nature +2 | Religion +2

Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1 
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +3 | Survival +1

Charisma 17 (+2) 
Save +5 
Deception +5 | Intimidation +3 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +5

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Disguise Kit; Forgery Kit
  • Weapons Daggers, darts, light crossbows, slings, staves 
  • Armors None

SORCERER CLASS ABILITIES
SpellcastingSpell Slots: Finishing a long rest restores any expended spell slots.

When gaining a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
 | Psionic SpellsStarting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Psionic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a divination or enchantment spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Cantrips: Mind Sliver
1st Level Spells: Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers
 | Telepathic SpeechStarting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your Sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.

RACIAL TRAITS
Expert DuplicationWhen you copy writing or craftwork produced by yourself or someone else, you have advantage on any ability checks you make to produce an exact duplicate. | Kenku RecallThanks to your supernaturally good memory, you have proficiency in two skills of your choice.

Moreover, when you make an ability check using any skill in which you have proficiency, you can give yourself advantage on the check before rolling the d20. You can give yourself advantage in this way a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
 | MimicryYou can accurately mimic sounds you have heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds you make can tell they are imitations only with a successful Wisdom (Insight) check against a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

FEATS

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 2/2 (1st)

• Sorcerer - Spell Save DC: 13 | Spell Attack Mod: +5 | Spells Known: 2 + Aberrant Mind Spells

CANTRIPS

Dancing Lights | Fire Bolt | Friends | Mind Sliver | Minor Illusion

FIRST LEVEL

Arms of Hadar | Charm Person | Dissonant Whispers | Mage Armor

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (3.0 lbs.)

• Weight: 3.0 lbs. / 120 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (0.0 lbs.)

Copper: 0 | Silver: 0 | Gold: 0 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(0 Coins x .02 lbs. = 0.0 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (0 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

EQUIPMENT STORED (0 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

EQUIPMENT CARRIED (3.0 lbs.)

• Common Clothes (3.0 lbs.)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (0/3)

APPEARANCE

Age 15 | Height 5' 0" | Weight 95 lbs. | Hair Tufts of Grey Feathers| Eyes Yellow | Complexion Bird-Like

The morning started like every other morning in the big city, with a quick draw of fresh air from an open window, followed by a quick scratch of the beak where one of the feathers on Brush's head always seemed to flop over to.  The young Kenku looked out over the alley her room oversaw, the light from the rising sun starting to stretch and break the shadows, rousing those who were less fortunate than her sleeping near the piles of refuse the rest of the city's inhabitants decided didn't even exist.  She smiled slightly, her yellow eyes narrowing and the corners of her dull grey beak turning up as she thought of the wonders this day would bring.

"Today," she said out loud to nobody, "today I finally earn enough money to get out of this cramped room."

She turned away from the window, the simple robe she had on quickly and easily replaced by a green tunic and tan breeches, the small claws on her feet deftly moving through the fabric so as to not tear them up like she had done to so many others before.  She knew she should probably wear a skirt or a dress, but those were for more sophisticated people.  She grabbed a pair of hardened leather boots, the soles just right for the amount of standing she would do this day, and strapped a belt with a small pouch to her waist.  A toss of a green cap to the top of her head, and she was nearly ready.

"Can't forget the gear!"

She spun around a few times, joyfully, before stopping and picking up a small folded table and a simple brown pack.  She opened the pack to make sure the balls, cups, cards, feathers, dice, and several other important game implements were all there.  And when she was satisfied, she slung the pack over her left shoulder, picking up the table with her right hand, and she skipped out of the room, headed down to a corner near The Yawning Portal.  So many people gathered there, all to hear stories of the brave and adventurous, and while those who entered the shaft weren't easily fooled, those who came to place bets usually were.  And there was always a line of "customers" just waiting to place a bet, guess where the ball was, draw the right card...and lose their coin to Brush Stroke.

BACKGROUND

CHARLATAN
Source PHB

• Favorite Schemes
    • I run sleight-of-hand cons on street corners.
      • Where is the ball?  Under one of these cups, yes, but which cup?  Only 1 copper to take a guess, and I'll pay 2 if you can find it!
  • Personality Traits
    • I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for potential profit.
      • What were the odds again?  100 to 1?  Come on, that's easy money.  Just need this to break my way...
    • I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
      • That is a really nice tie.  They sell men's clothing where you got that?
  • Ideals
    • Creativity.  I never run the same con twice.
      • Well, that didn't go over so well.  Gues tomorrow it's chains and strings.
  • Bonds
    • I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths me or those that I care about.
      • Should have known those dark-skins wouldn't take losing coin so good.
  • Flaws
    • I'm always in debt.  I spend my ill-gotten gains on decadent luxuries faster than I bring them in.
      • Oh, I'm stuffed. I couldn't possibly eat another bite.  And no, being broke has nothing to do with that.

BACKSTORY

The floorboards in the old courthouse creaked and groaned as the young Kenku was led from the entrance to her seat at the defendant's table, all eyes in the gallery on her and the 2 large guards assigned to keep her in line.  The room was clean and bright, the sconces lining the walls holding large lit torches, the domed ceiling high above black with the char of smoke from years...nay, decades...of this scene having played out time and again.

Brush Stroke smiled slightly as she took her seat, her hands clapped in irons, her simple clothing stained from having spent yet another night in the local jail.  She looked to her right and left, wondering to herself where her lawyer may have gone off to, but not really caring; the public defenders had never done much for her other than bloviate about what she should say or do, but not really keeping her from having to submit to community service or paying a small fine for her transgressions.  But when the judge walked in, his black robe flowing behind as he strode to his seat with purpose and determination, she started to get a bit nervous.

"To your feet, Brush Stroke," the judge demanded as he sat in his chair, the high pedestal in front of him adorned with a stack of scrolls and parchments.  He scowled as he looked out at the Kenku, his face obviously pained, his mood dour.  "While this has become all too commonplace, I guarantee you that this will be the last time you ever set foot in this courtroom as the accused."

He motioned to one of the guards, handing the man a scroll as he reached the bench.  The guard then turned to face Brush Stroke, unraveling the scroll and clearing his throat several times before speaking.

"Brush Stroke, you stand here today accused, once again, of running illegal confidence games in and around the town of Secomber.  As is standard procedure, the list of your criminal history shall be entered into the record...,"

It was at this point that Brush Stroke literally stopped paying attention to what was being said.  She had heard this all before.  Heck, she had LIVED this all before.  Every petty crime she had ever been accused of, from stealing food on a dare to tricking guards out of their wages to pawning illegal goods, read out loud for the whole of the gallery and courtroom to hear.  And nobody in this room at this time needed to be reminded that this was yet another offense for her, and that she was about to be sentenced to yet more community service.  So her mind wandered a bit, thinking on how she would convince the judge not to give her more garbage duty.  That is, until the judge spoke again, this time with an anger in his voice she had not heard before.

"Your family should be ashamed of you," he bellowed.  "Your father is a decent, hardworking man, and your mother is one of the finest seamstresses in the area.  How you grew up to be a common criminal when they provided a good life and home for you is beyond me."

The judge had frequently brought up her family, how they were welcomed to town even though they weren't Human, and how they worked hard to prove they would be good citizens.  She was always told that she was the jewel of her father's eye, that he lived and breathed for her, even when she was growing up and getting into trouble.  Even as she figured out that she could talk people into doing things they normally wouldn't - and out of things they normally would - her parents tried to give her everything.  They paid her fines, pleaded with the courts, spoke to the constable.  They gave up their own lives to try to make hers normal.

"And you have spit in their faces, and mine, for the last time."

It was as if the judge had been reading her mind as she dwelled on her parents.  As she thought about her home life, and how her parents had loved her in spite of everything, the judge had in the perfect moment reminded her that she was an ungrateful child.

"You, my dear, need more punishment than has been given to you previously.  Community service is of no use; you always end up talking your way out of actually doing anything.  Fines don't seem to matter as your parents make sure they are paid before you end up serving time.  You are too young for corporal punishment, and too old for a slap on the wrist.  You need to be punished in a way that will constantly remind you that you cannot keep doing these things.  That people are going to get angry with you for stealing their money.

"To that end, I am sentencing you to the most severe punishment we can levy against you, short of death.  No fine will be big enough, no amount of talking will be smooth enough, to keep this from you.

"Brush Stroke, you are hereby declared persona non grata in the town of Secomber.  You are no longer welcome here, from this day forth, for the rest of your days.  You are ordered to leave town, before the stroke of the next hour, and never return."

Brush Stroke's heart dropped suddenly, the gasps from the gallery telling her that she had heard exactly what was said.  She took a half-step backwards, nearly falling into her chair before she got recomposed.

"Your honor," she spit out, anxiety obvious in her voice.  "Please, you can't do this.  I'm sorry for what I've done.  My mother...she's sick.  And my father...he needs me!  You...you...you can't make me leave!  This is my home!  This is..."

"SILENCE!" the judge shouted as she tried to talk her way out of things.  His voice echoed throughout the courtroom, all gasps and noise immediately quieting to no more than a whisper.  "You have had your time and turn to try and make something of yourself.  Your mother is sick?  Sick of your lies and cons.  Your father needs you?  He needs you to be a decent person.  You have done nothing but make a fool of them, of this court, of this town.

"Guard, unchain this wretch and see to it that she leaves town.  NOW."

Brush Stroke was grabbed from behind, the guard's hands clenching down tight on her arm as she was dragged from the courtroom.  She tried to cry out, to yell out that this time really would be different, that she really would change.  But there were either no words that came, or no sound that emanated, for she didn't remember what she may or may not have said in that moment.  Instead, she was forced from the courtroom and walked through town, in shame, towards the town gate, where the chains were removed.  And then, with everyone watching - including her parents - she was shoved through the gate from behind and blocked from re-entering.

"Go, now, Brush Stroke.  Go find your own life and live your lies somewhere else."

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/heroes-and-villain/images/9/9f/Profile_-_SkekZok.png

Brush Stroke
Medium, Kenku Sorcerer

AC 12

HP 6 (1d6)

HD 1/1d6

Spell Slots

1st 2/2 

DM Inspiration 0/1
Attuned 0/3

XP 0/300

Normal, descriptive text is like this.

Thoughts, emotions, and feelings are like this.

"Speech is like this."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move: 
Manipulate: