Sheet Folders in Testing ×

What do you think about...?

yxanthymir

What do you think about a DnD 5e game where there are no races or classes? But every feature of your character is bought with points, from any class, in other words, you can configure your character to your liking. You are also allowed to configure spells to a certain extent.

It will be a homebrew world, with some unique characteristics and also some restrictions.

Do you think it is a good idea or it will be an epic failure?

I mean, I'd play something other than D&D 5e if I wanted that.  Savage Worlds already has a supplement to handle Pathfinder's setting and style, and isn't tied to classes as much.

To be fair, there have been attempts to make D&D/D&D-likes more point-buy-like.  Most of them have ended up as a massive cludgy mess, IMO, and frankly I'd rather just set the thing on fire.  But I'm exceedly harsh about the billions of 5e hacks that exist, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm kind of with Yama on this one. I prefer classless systems because they are less restrictive, but doing it with D&D would be challenging and messy and result in a massive convoluted ruleset. The other good thing about many of the classless systems already available is that they're typically skill-based and/or dice pool-based, so they are generally simple.

If I just wanted more customization options in D&D I wouldn't go classless, but rather gestalt or half-gestalt.

spacer.pngD&D 3.5e has a similar build already with the Generic Classes option from the Unearthed Arcana,  and it leaves alot up to the DM as to the extent of the options permitted which is pretty nice. Im not to sure about how 5e plays, haven't gotten that far yet, still very satisfied with the options in the 3.5e version.

You could always give that a look, Its D&D so most stuff can still be easily converted to whatever version your playing.