Sheet Folders in Testing ×

What are you reading?

Eric

I just scored a pile of Appendix N books in a small town antique store. A whole bunch of A. Merritt and Leigh Bracket, the entire World of Tiers series by Philip Jose Farmer, some Lovecraft, and some nice vintage copies of the first two Dying Earth books. I paid $20 for the lot.

Then I went into a bookstore across the street and found even more titles from that list. The deal wasn't quite as ridiculous but it was more than fair.

I don't even know how many I picked up, in all. Twenty? There were a couple of compilations. I'm a happy classic fantasy geek.

• 2 weeks later...

I put The Paradox Hotel down without finishing it. The main character was just too hard to be believed as a person. Her plot armor was so powerful that she just became unrecognizable as a character in the story. I've seen this happen before and I've powered through it, but the payoff has yet to be worth it. This time, I just put it down.

I started Wool which is the first book in the series that the Apple TV show SILO is based on. The first act was very captivating. I'm hoping it's able to keep the hype/momentum.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on a fairy tale kick lately. I read The Bloody Room and Other Stories by Angela Carter, and I just finished up Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis last night. Tonight, if I don't crash, I'm going to start on Circe. I'll round the fairy tales off by rereading Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by Yeats. It is such a strange and fascinating collection. 😄

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Just found Jennifer Estep's newer novels on my Libby app. She's a pretty good author. Ranges from cheesy/funny superhero romance (Karma Girl), to urban fantasy (elemental assassin series), more traditional fantasy (crown of shards series), spy stuff (what I just started yesterday), and apparently sci-fi (which I haven't tried yet). None of it is serious hard reading, but they tend to be well written fun reads (as opposed to finishing because it wasn't annoying enough to just return unfinished).

Til We Have Faces and Circe were fantastic. Circe might be my new favorite novel.

Demon Copperhead is up next. Should be in at the library on Monday. And then I'm going to read two more Daniel Woodrell novels, the first two that the library can get. I haven't read anything after Winter's Bone 😄 (and I'm pretty sure I haven't read some of his novels from the 80s).

Demon Copperhead was good, but boy was it sad. It deserved the accolades. Still waiting on Woodrell books from the library. 😞 So I reread Winter's Bone and started on The Satanic Verses which is kinda fun. Love the writing, but, man, I just don't get it. That's what I get for picking books from the "smart people" bookcase. 😄

10 hours ago, Butchern said:

Demon Copperhead was good, but boy was it sad. It deserved the accolades. Still waiting on Woodrell books from the library. 😞 So I reread Winter's Bone and started on The Satanic Verses which is kinda fun. Love the writing, but, man, I just don't get it. That's what I get for picking books from the "smart people" bookcase. 😄

I haven't read it, but redhanded podcast did a breakdown which explains in part at least why the controversy was so big (link).