What are you reading?

Eric

32 minutes ago, Roughtrade said:

It sounds like you picked up at the novels he wrote in the ....  I want to say late 80s or early 90s.  It was a big skip, and very jarring since my memories of the original series was that he ended the world.  It did not feel like a money grab to me, but it did feel like Moorcock was giving into fan pressure to give us one more Elric story please.  But possibly it was just a writer at a point twenty or thirty years later in their career with a different style than before.  

late '80s early 90s was probably about when I gave it a try.

Saga Press just released a really cool compilation of the Elric stories in three volumes. Combined with the latest tale, The Citadel of Forgotten Myths, I think I have every Elric story ever published, along with copies of the DAW paperbacks (those are my favorites) plus the Julian Blondel comics (which are gorgeous.)

So, yeah, I'm a fan. Got my Elric and Kane collections right next to each other.

I finally finished The Book of the New Sun. That was an epic journey. BotNS is a bizarre and multifaceted story with all kinds of allusions to religion, mythology, and literature. I think "extraordinary" is a good work to describe it. It's not a page-turner by any means, but a definitive hero's journey and an important work of speculative fiction.

Next up, Heart of Darkness (which I've somehow never read) and then a few short stories I've been meaning to get to.

Then I might have to go back and read Urth of the New Sun just to wrap up that whole experience.

11 hours ago, cailano said:

I finally finished The Book of the New Sun. That was an epic journey. BotNS is a bizarre and multifaceted story with all kinds of allusions to religion, mythology, and literature. I think "extraordinary" is a good work to describe it. It's not a page-turner by any means, but a definitive hero's journey and an important work of speculative fiction.

Next up, Heart of Darkness (which I've somehow never read) and then a few short stories I've been meaning to get to.

Then I might have to go back and read Urth of the New Sun just to wrap up that whole experience.

Sounds like a great book, also Heart of Darkness is in my list to read for a long time.

But right now I started A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie as I wanted something more fun and pulpy after the last book.

• 1 month later...

I've had to put The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne down because my Libby app wouldn't let me keep it a second time, but I've got a nice portion of it read. It's been very good so far.

In the meantime, I'm reading The Paradox Hotel by Rob Hart. It's about time-travel and a special locale where it all happens. It's okay. It reads like the author really wants to sell the rights to a movie producer and get someone middlingly-good to star in it. Plot decent, character traits are below par. Something else going against this one is that the narrator can't do accents and so everyone just sounds the same and it's written in a way that doesn't always imply what's Main Character dialogue, Main Character thought, and dialogue from another character. Oh, she tries to do an male Australian accent and it does not go well.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Basil_Bottletop said:

I've had to put The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne down because my Libby app wouldn't let me keep it a second time, but I've got a nice portion of it read. It's been very good so far.

It was a very good book. Just waiting for book 2 (Hunger of the Gods) to come out in paperback now. I'm just starting Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness trilogy in the meantime.

I'm limited by audiobooks at the moment because my physical copy reading list is unbearably long and I do not have time to read on my own. I was surprised to find TSotG to even have an audiobook so quickly. I probably need to giver Abercrombie another shot. I've got a few of his books on my tagged list, so it's a matter of them becoming available.