What are you reading?

Eric

Just finished Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikivsky and dang, I can see why he's one of the hot new recommendations in a lot of threads over the last couple of years. From what people said, I was expecting something different, what I got was just about perfectly tailored for my tastes. Will definitely be hunting down more of his work.

• 1 month later...

Sill reading Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldiss and Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson. I am almost finishing the first and I am over page 1000 of the second book. I have to say that I did not enjoy it as much as the previous books, the story seems to be losing strength, which is kind of natural to a series this long.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finished [i]The Passenger[/i] last week and preordered its sister novel (I think it is coming out next week). I'm a big McCarthy fan and the writing is beautiful, but [i]The Passenger[/i] is a lot of work.

Yesterday, I read two sci-fi short stories by J. G. Ballard. I like his writing a lot. I have [i]Empire of the Sun[/i] on hold at the library. 'Gonna pick that up tomorrow.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, CharmingSatyr said:

I am maybe one day away from finishing Hail Mary by Andy Weir (the same guy who wrote the book that the movie The Martian was based on).  This is the third book of his that I have bought, and I am not disappointed.

That was a good one. I felt that he got back to his comfort zone a bit more with Hail Mary, because Artemis wasn't bad but it just didn't have a certain undefined something that The Martian  and Hail Mary both did.

Been reading quite a bit of Adrian Tchaikovsky lately, fortunately there's a good bit to read. Just finished up Children of Ruin and I'm on to Empire of Black and Gold. Yes, that's a pretty major shift, kinda surprising the same guy wrote both. Also, seriously, he finished a whole 10 book epic fantasy series, two SF trilogies and a bunch of other novels and novellas since 2008? And I thought Sanderson wrote fast.

The older I get, the less willing I am to read things that are a lot of work. I am currently reading random urban fantasy stuff on Kindle Unlimited. Sometimes, its a stinker that I can't bear to finish (another thing that has changed as I've gotten older - I used to have to finish a book I started), but generally it's a nice bit of escapism. Escapism is good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am reading (and thoroughly enjoying) The Nature of Predators

If you like the "Humans are Space Orcs" genre of sci-fi, this may be for you. The basic concept is mankind finally achieves FTL spaceflight, and makes first contact with a galactic civilization

Show light spoilers

... a civilization full of cute, cuddly little herbivores who are irrationally (and, in many cases, homicidally) terrified of humans because they view us a predatory carnivores, and believe that all carnivores are dangerous thanks to the centuries-long war with the only other sapient carnivore they've encountered, who are known to eat their victims alive for fun.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)