What are you reading?

Eric

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, cailano said:

Hi everyone. Lately I've been reading the Book of the New Sun. There are four books in the series and I'm halfway in. I thought the first one was borderline genius and the second one was borderline pointless. I'm hoping the third gets things back on track.

I can't remember if I got all the way through that series or got board with it a couple books in. I'm going to have to go and look for synapsis so I can see how far I got.

Edit: Yes, I made it all the way through. I didn't read the sequel though. It's been between 20 and 25 years and I don't remember more than being disappointed at the lack of resolution of the ending. I imagine the sequel would wrap that up.

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Inash said:

I can't remember if I got all the way through that series or got board with it a couple books in. I'm going to have to go and look for synapsis so I can see how far I got.

Edit: Yes, I made it all the way through. I didn't read the sequel though. It's been between 20 and 25 years and I don't remember more than being disappointed at the lack of resolution of the ending. I imagine the sequel would wrap that up.

I should clarify that I'm halfway through the series (IE, two books in) not halfway through the first book. Although if you didn't enjoy the first one I definitely wouldn't recommend the second.

I finished the series (4 books). Again, it was at least 20 years ago. I don't remember book three at all basically and only remember the end of book 4. Book 1 was good, book 2 was... odd. The end of book 4 left a lot of hanging threads, but there is a sequel book that I haven't read that is supposed to tie those up.

23 hours ago, Inash said:

I finished the series (4 books). Again, it was at least 20 years ago. I don't remember book three at all basically and only remember the end of book 4. Book 1 was good, book 2 was... odd. The end of book 4 left a lot of hanging threads, but there is a sequel book that I haven't read that is supposed to tie those up.

Oh okay, I know the one you’re talking about.  Sounds like it might be an overrated series.

I honestly don't know. I stumbled across it in the library and haven't heard much about it since. The older I get though, the less patience I have for highly rated series. I can't remember if I finished The Name of the Wind and I didn't bother looking for the next book. My tastes have gotten more 'I just want to escape and turn my brain off'.

Jade War, Fonda Lee. Still not sure how I feel about this series, I'm not big on gangster novels and that's basically what this is.  Not terribly fond of most of the main characters (which I'm sure is intentional), the best you can usually say about them is, they're honorable gangsters. Usually the trick in this sort of book is to give them horrible, utterly corrupt enemies OR make it fairly obvious this is going to all end in a pile of bodies and I don't really see either at play here.

19 hours ago, Inash said:

I honestly don't know. I stumbled across it in the library and haven't heard much about it since. The older I get though, the less patience I have for highly rated series. I can't remember if I finished The Name of the Wind and I didn't bother looking for the next book. My tastes have gotten more 'I just want to escape and turn my brain off'.

I liked Name of the Wind but I consider unreliable narrators to be a gimmick and, at any rate, I don’t trust Rothfuss. If he finishes the series I’ll read some reviews and consider diving back in. 

I still like deeper books, although I’m not above a good beach read. But when you hear a series is among the best fantasy of the 20th century, you come in with high expectations. So far, I wouldn’t rank BotNS among my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

Fall, or Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson.  Weirdly, I thought I was getting a different Stephenson book, The Fall of D.O.D.O.  Anyhow, it's pretty typically Stephenson in that I'm not even a fifth of the way into the book and we've already dealt with end of life directives, brain scanning, life extension, nuclear terrorism, disinformation, the nature of social media, various forms of tech-bro culture, and Roman legion reenactors (seriously? is this a thing? I kinda understand SCA and of course Civil War types, but legionnaire reenactment sounds way to much like pure masochism).

The Fall of D.O.D.O was pretty good. I've read some of Stephenson's stuff (even borrowed the Cryptonomicon from his aunt), and it's usually good--just more dense than I am usually in the mood for.

Edit: I would very much like for him to put out some sort of update for In the Beginning was the Command Prompt. It was an interesting read.

Edited by Inash (see edit history)