3D Printing

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen this Kickstarter?  It includes 120+ very finely detailed mini STLs.  Some of them are pretty specific (like the bust versions of several), but many could see repeated use.  I've been debating backing as my printer is currently still sitting in a box and I don't know when I will get it setup.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mammothfactory/mammoth-chronicles-vol1-8-epic-miniatures-and-adventures/description

18 hours ago, Anthr4xus said:

Have you seen this Kickstarter?  It includes 120+ very finely detailed mini STLs.  Some of them are pretty specific (like the bust versions of several), but many could see repeated use.  I've been debating backing as my printer is currently still sitting in a box and I don't know when I will get it setup.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mammothfactory/mammoth-chronicles-vol1-8-epic-miniatures-and-adventures/description

Oh trust me, @LupineRose doesn't need more STLs! 😄

• 4 months later...

So I got sick of dealing with the X-Acto knife box, and designed a gridfinity system-based hobby knife and blade storage holder, complete with press fit holes in the bottom for 6 x 2 mm disc magnets to retain it in a gridfinity grid if desired.

The stl and a parameter-driven F3D (Fusion 360 file) are available here on Printables.com for anyone that wants to print one or modify and print one, since plenty of us do stuff with minis and modeling.

Also, video primer on the gridfinity system for those unfamiliar!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started working on a configurable French cleat setup so I can quickly design and print tool holders for hand and power tools.

The first step is a load tester to ensure the printed concept is strong enough!

Relevant Print Parameters

• Infill: 50% gyroid
  • Perimeters: 4
  • Filament: Atomic Perfect Orange PLA

Pictures & Project Description

image.png.5c054d710577e1d84c5edc3bf0c1c6c4.png

Initial design had a square nut insert concept to hold the pieces together.

IMG_7721.jpeg.e5619235db3f27b3b86dbce2cfb64492.jpeg

So the insert pockets in iteration 1: Not so great. It was a pain to remove the support material and easy to tear out the back of the pocket.

IMG_7747.jpeg.c6bcc7838e1e66fed53244d40afe2142.jpeg

IMG_7748.jpeg.383bdabe2963bf3d6f3bc1aefc24bd11.jpeg

Iteration 2! Using 1/4-20 socket head cap screws into threaded holes, this is the load tester. I need to ensure thread tear out under load isn’t a concern, so I’m going to tie some paracord to dumbbell weight plates and progressively hang more until I hit the max test load or the threads tear out.

Shooting for a Factor of Safety of 3, which in this case is 3x the mass of my 7-1/4” Milwaukee circular saw.

Once I confirm whether it meets my needs, it’s on to some fancy holder design!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am slowly getting my new Prusa XL assembled, but on the plus side it finally arrived! Hopefully I can start calibrating this weekend.

Assembly Pics (and my thoughts) Thus Far

IMG_8526.jpeg.348b871481fb8c8e648547f75ca29da4.jpeg

Nice heavy duty packaging, and the bottom box was a whopping 70 lbs (31.75 kg)!

IMG_8530.jpeg.9e24422a6ad5e2cf350a0de42fe6434b.jpeg

Inside boxes unpacked, with a rather large bag of assembly gummy bears ready to go. Back two large boxes (and the one on top) are the printer and components, front five are the five extruder units.

IMG_8534.jpeg.86bdb8e2166e1de3c08c7e86f18869de.jpeg

Assembly part 1 complete, Z axis motors and frame uprights installed.

IMG_8536.jpeg.cdc5cc444822061975192d66fea54a39.jpegIMG_8537.jpeg.82fa9b8ac7765495014b99ec30424c48.jpeg

Screen installed and wires routed underneath. I was really impressed with the routing method! Routing wires through the extrusion profile is nothing new, but the snap in covers to guide the Z-axis stepper motors and the corner cover for the screen wires were a nice touch, along with the extrusion covers that keep all the wiring in place.

IMG_8539.jpeg.28688fc248c3a1eb79b8e69705a70281.jpeg

Where things are at as of last night, got the X/Y axes frame mounted, and the Z axis linear rails have their top screws secured into the frame arms as well.