Half-Orc (Mark of Finding)*

Class
Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3

Background
Untamed YouthSkills: Acrobatics & Perception
Tools: Painter's Tools
Languages: Elvish
Gate Pass Connection: The Resistance
Trait: I misuse (and mispronounce) long words in an attempt to sound smarter.
Trait: If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
Ideal: Independence. I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.
Bond: The home I was raised in is the most important place in the world to me. (Though I'll never admit that to Dad.)
Flaw: I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.

Gate Pass Connection

The ResistanceYou are a member of a small group of Gate Pass natives who are taking up arms to defend their home against both Ragesia and Shahalesti. Fed up with the oppression of the Ragesians and Shahalesti, you wage a discreet war against them.

Feature: Blade of the Resistance
You select an intelligent creature who has dealt damage to you or your allies as your preferred foe. That creature need not have dealt damage to your or your allies during the current encounter; any previous damage will suffice. You have advantage on attack rolls against your preferred foe until the end of your turn.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Theme Song

Don't Kill My Vibe - Sigrid

Ability Scores

Ability Score Racial Variant Feat Final Score
Strength 12       12
Dexterity 14       14
Constitution 13 +1     14
Intelligence 8       8
Wisdom 12 +2 -2   12
Charisma 14   +2   16

Background: TBD

Skills: Acrobatics, Intimidation, Perception & Persuasion
Tools: Painter's Supplies
Languages: Common, Elvish & Goblin
Gate Pass Connection: The Resistance

Personality/Traits/Bonds/Flaws

Trait: I misuse (and mispronounce) long words in an attempt to sound smarter.
Trait: If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
Ideal: Independence. I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.
Bond: The home I was raised in is the most important place in the world to me. (Though I'll never admit that to Dad.)
Flaw: I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.

Description & Personality

To catch a glimpse of her eye you'd notice the sparkle of mischief that her father shares, though she'd deny that is where she gets it from. Those deep mahogany orbs hide a depth of spirit most rarely see, instead Anne portrays the safe and superficial confidence that comes with practiced ease. Her wild array of braids pull the hair away from her face, ensuring her features are witnessed, unshy to show her moss-colored skin in this orc-friendly town. The style also reveals her pointed ears, which she proudly states call to her elven heritage. She seems unphased by the odd stares and quizzical looks that claim brings.

Upon that earth-toned flesh is often a pattern of paints that have no rhyme or reason, but appear to belong exactly where they are placed, as though she would not have been complete without them. The same could be said of her numerous piercings, which adorn her brow, lip, ears, and belly. Would she be beautiful without them? Yes. Does their presence enhance that beauty? Absolutely.

The necklaceI like to think this is from her dad, but she doesn't know this.
 that rests on her chest is made of cheap pewter but was a gift from Dot on her twelfth birthday. How the skeleton knew it was her birthday, or how it was able to acquire the gift, Anne has never asked, but it has been a cherished possession ever since. It is never obstructed from view as her shirts are always strapless. Not for the reason most young women would wear a strapless top, for Anne it is a matter of practicality. It is easier to clean her skin than it is to remove paint from the fabric of sleeves. Her pants are almost always loose-fitted and billow in the wind.

All of her appearance is focused on the choices she has made to present to the world. Yveran Tallindor knows she is the daughter of a necromancer who terrorized the city. The investigators and magistrates of the government questioned her many times, sharing the truth of who her father was in the process. They destroyed the heroic image she had of the man who had raised her, twisted the memories she clung to and turned him into the villain in her life. But admitting that, succumbing to that, would allow those who judged her from a distance to win, and that was something the prideful young woman would not allow.

Instead, Anne chose not to use words she struggled to pronounce because of her tusks, including her given name. She did not ask for help, she smiled when there was no reason to, and she offered kindness to spite the elitists. Her art hid her pain and her loneliness, as did her drinking and the dark quotes pulled from playful poetry.

Private Content for: bwatford, Basil_Bottletop, Gralhruk, LucianV, RobMatthys

On her mid back, Anne has a tattoo of a crow. Although she claims she likes the foreboding look of the blackbird, in truth it is an homage to the nickname her father calls her. Scarecrow. She claims to hate it, but secretly she adores it. Not that she'll ever admit it.

spacer.png

Backstory

The bridge will only take you halfway there,
To those mysterious lands you long to see.
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fair,
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and
Share the twisting trails and wondrous worlds I've known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there.
The last few steps you have to take alone.

- Klam PewtercupThis is Shel Silverstein. Anytime she is quoting poetry or Pewtercup, credit goes to Silverstein.

I've decided he must be a halfling.

It was a favorite of hers when she was a child. The fantastical idea that all the world was available, all its odd and curious things could be had, if she was simply willing to take the next step alone. To an eight year old, with a quirky father and missing mother, Yveran clung to the thought anything was possible, perhaps even finding her mom, or a unicorn, or a gypsy.

This same poem took on a very different meaning to a nine year old who was abandoned. Deserted in the shambles of the home that once was, surrounded by the undead caregivers her no-longer-quirky father left for her.

At that young age, the half-orc discovered there were often two meanings to anything anyone said. She decided that, although Pewtercup had been a favored poet of the family for years, this particular poem was read to her repeatedly with intention. Dad was trying to prepare her to be alone. To walk that bridge by herself.

It was a bitter education for the young girl to discover on her own. But she dove into the other writings of the halfling poet, convinced there were other words of wisdom for her to learn from. Anne did more than find a tutor in Pewtercup’s poems, she found inspiration and solace for her lonely life.

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me—
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.

These were gifts of survival. They told her things the skeletons and zombies were unable to. They whispered to her to be herself, to find her way and to be free on this path. And so she was. She found art supplies that had managed to not be destroyed in the attack that led to her father’s arrest. Jars of paints in all the colors of the rainbow were put to use bringing light to the darkest days of the young girl’s life.

Strangers thought she was odd, which meant everyone thought she was odd, as no adult had considered claiming the daughter of the necromancer. She remained abandoned, surrounded by the walking dead whose sole mission was to care for their creator’s child. With the paints as her sole magic, the brushes answered her command and brought life to the pallid nannies who followed her.

Rosie and Dot quickly became her favorites, a zombie with a flower painted on its forehead and skeleton covered in multicolored polka-dots. Others had names and decorations that she would retouch many times over the years, and as she aged, her talent grew.

Not afraid of hard labor, Anne used scraps of fallen lumber to patch the holes in her home. Without admitting it, she hoped to patch the holes in her heart. With each nail, she discovered a wave of anger, the poem was no longer an education she was provided by her father, but a cruel joke. He had built a wonderful life, or what she believed was a wonderful life, but each strike of the hammer had her questioning how wonderful was the life he had built?

Underneath my outside face
There's a face that none can see.
A little less smiley,
A little less sure,
But a whole lot more like me.

She turned fourteen alone in her abandoned home. Nearly half a lifetime ago her father had left her to fend for herself. And she had. Survived for far longer and better than most children with a house full of undead could have. Anne had learned to bolster herself with confidence to reduce the number of questions she would receive. Her ability to win over others was a gift she must have received from her mother, and she put it to good use. Or at least, she felt it was good use, and the barkeep who always was paid never complained. The patrons of The Twisted Tap quickly became used to seeing Rosie shambling into the tavern to carry a drunk young half-orc home.

The alcohol did little to answer the questions that continued to grow in her young mind. What had happened to her mom? Why did he never talk about her? Not all half-orcs have pointed ears, but she did. Did that mean she was part elf too?

Yes it did.

Spittle dripped from her lip on her sixteenth birthday, to the wooden bar top. She was unaware of the eyes that watched her from across the tavern. Unaware of the questions he asked of strangers. Anne was mildly aware when strong arms lifted her up, not the bony and loose skinned arms of Rosie. She saw his ear first and announced to him she was a quarter elf. His silence and steady steps did little to sober her. Anne simply began to recite one of her recent favorites of Pewtercup’s, for certainly this individual needed to be enlightened by the poet’s words.

Enter this deserted house
But please walk softly as you do.
Frogs dwell here and crickets too.
Ain't no ceiling, only blue
Jays dwell here and sunbeams too.
Floors are flowers - take a few.
Ferns grow here and daisies too.
Whoosh, swoosh - too-whit, too-woo,
Bats dwell here and hoot owls too.
Ha-ha-ha,hee-hee,hoo-hoooo,
Gnomes dwell here and goblins too.
And my child, I thought you knew
I dwell here...and so do you.

And this was how Anne met her best friend. Or, at least, that was how he met her. She didn’t remember him.
Perhaps it was her age, or perhaps it was finding true friendship, regardless, it was then that her magic began to flourish. Initially, the daughter of the necromancer attempted to refuse her gifts, but the effort was futile. Unlike her father who had to study for his abilities, Yveran’s were natural. However, she did discover she could decide how the gifts could be used. She focused her magic on what she felt were most beneficial to her survival and her growing art following.
Above her bed, she painted her now favorite quote of Pewtercup’s.

But all the magic I have known I've had to make myself.

It was a lie, of course. Her dad had used impressive magic to create her caregiver army, along with getting himself in trouble with the city to begin with. But she liked the lie, it denied a power to her father who had cursed her to this lonely life and made her feel more unique, a piece of art herself.

She had once thought her father quirky, and now the city thought the same of her. Anne had become a sought-after artist, her expressionism and strong use of colors on large canvases drew the attention of the buyers. Her eccentric ways were accepted as part of the creative process. Iym just rolled his eyes at her, which always produced a wide toothy grin from the quarter-elf.

However, without her friend knowing, she had become involved with The Resistance. Her skills with a paintbrush were used to tag buildings in order to relay messages to others, without the need for meetings. Anne knew Iym would disapprove of defacing city buildings, so she perfected her ability to lie to the only living person who had ever seemed to actually care for her. Once again, Klam Pewtercup came through with sage advice.

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you--just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

Relationships

Dad: At the age of nine, the hero of her world was arrested. Soon Anne discovered he was no hero, nor amazing father, and perhaps her life was better for his absence.
Iymbryl Darcassan: Her unlikely best friend. His dislike for the unorderly and disapproval of unlawful conduct has kept her from falling farther into disarray.
Belfyr: Card table acquaintance. Anne has lost a bit of coin to the half-elf.
Bronn: Card table acquaintance. Anne has lost a bit of coin to the dwarf.

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor - Half-Orc Sorcererspacer.png

AC: 12 | HP: 18/20 | HD: 3/3d6 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 13 | Finder's Magic: 1/1 | Font of Magic: 3/3 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4 2nd 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Bookkeeping

Full Statblock

Yveran "Anne" Tallindor
Half-Orc Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3

Str 12 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 16

HP 18/20 HD 3d6/3d6 AC 12 Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13 Initiative +2

Languages Common, Elvish & Goblin
Background Untamed Youth

o DaggerFinesse, light, thrown (range 20/60) +4 attack, 1d4+2 piercing

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Constitution & Charisma
Skills Acrobatics, Intimidation, Perception & Persuasion
Tools Painter's Tools
Instruments None
Weapons Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Armor None

Features DarkvisionYou can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.Hunter's IntuitionWhen you make a Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.Finder's MagicYou can cast the hunter’s mark spell with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast the locate object spell with it. Once you cast either spell with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.Spells of the MarkIf you have the Spellcasting or the Pact Magic class feature, the spells on the Mark of Finding Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class.

1st: Faerie Fire, Longstrider
2nd: Locate Animals or Plants, Locate Object
3rd: Clairvoyance, Speak with Plants
4th: Divination, Locate Creature
5th: Commune with Nature
SpellcastingAn event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells.

Cantrips
At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list. You learn additional sorcerer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Sorcerer table.

Spell Slots
The Sorcerer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your sorcerer spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these sorcerer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Burning Hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Burning Hands using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.

The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table shows when you learn more sorcerer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your sorcerer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will into the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a sorcerer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.
Origin: Aberrant MindPsionic Spells
Starting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Psionic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a divination or an enchantment spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Psionic Spells
Sorcerer Level Spells
1st Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers, Mind Sliver
3rd Calm Emotions, Detect Thoughts
5th Hunger of Hadar, Sending
7th Evard's Black Tentacles, Summon Aberration
9th Rary's Telepathic Bond, Telekinesis
Telepathic SpeechStarting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.
Font of Magic (0/3)At 2nd level, you tap into a deep wellspring of magic within yourself. This wellspring is represented by sorcery points, which allow you to create a variety of magical effects.

Sorcery Points. You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain more as you reach higher levels, as shown in the Sorcery Points column of the Sorcerer table. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

Flexible Casting. You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points. You learn other ways to use your sorcery points as you reach higher levels.
Creating Spell Slots. You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th. Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest.

Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot's level.

Creating Spell Slots
Spell Slot Level Sorcery Point Cost
1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7
Metamagic: Careful & EmpoweredAt 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain two of the following Metamagic options of your choice. You gain another one at 10th and 17th level.

You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.

Careful Spell. When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

Empowered Spell. When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll a number of the damage dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). You must use the new rolls.
You can use Empowered Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Equipment

Assets: 84 gp

Carried/Worn Total for Pack

o Light Crossbow
o Quiver w/20 bolts
o Common Clothes
o 2 Daggers
o Staff (Arcane Focus)

o Dungeoneer's PackIncludes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
o Painter's Supplies
ToiletriesIncludes a small sack, soap, mirror, brush, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a washcloth.

Spell Casting

Spell Save DC: 13
Spell Attack Mod: +5
Spells Known: 4+2+2
Spell Slots: 1st 2/4 2nd 0/2

Cantrips

Acid Splash

Infestation

Mage Hand

Mind Sliver

Prestidigitation

1st Level