GM Questions & Answers

Colin

23 hours ago, Underleaf said:

Why does it irk me that it's name isn't Zombie Tyrannosaurus - is that just me? Just how I'm reading it? Tyrannosaurus Zombie just seems like a Trex with the last name Zombie.

I've looked too much into this haven't I?

10 hours ago, Oorah said:

Why does it irk me that it's name isn't Zombie Tyrannosaurus - is that just me? Just how I'm reading it? Tyrannosaurus Zombie just seems like a Trex with the last name Zombie.

I've looked too much into this haven't I?

And I'm curious as to why its name isn't Zombiesaurus Rex.

• 1 month later...

So going to a concept I have been kicking around but keep running into the same mental block over and over again...

I want to run a MnM3E game based on a tokusatsu / magical girl game.

Basically your sailor moon / saint saiya and all that. (Super Sentie / Power Rangers)

The stickings point is theming.
I've seen people try these before and the thing that keeps sticking with me and other members is that if you don't do it right it does not seam like a sentie group, it seams like a random group of people.
Part of the whole idea behind the concept is that the team is themed.

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. (Bird theme)
Power Rangers/Super Sentie. (A new theme each season, but in the USA Dinosaur's and then animals in the first two sets)

Sailor moon (Celestial bodies)
Saint Siaya (Zodiac signs)

PreCure (Literally just colors)

You can do this with almost anything.
And that's kind of the issue to be honest..

Every other part of the concept I've talked with people and kind of know what I'm looking to run. (Still would want to get people's takes on it however)

So two things.

#1: I 100% want to have a theme going into looking for players. And the applicants need to know them going in, not that everyone will have individual things picked just what the theme is.
#2: I am 100% willing to totally steal a already exsisting shows theme. We can totally do Planets, Or Zodiac signs or colors.

So spitball me some ideas if you want.

I have several possible recommendations, but they all fall under one central theme (you see what I did there?).  Make the players do the work.  I have found that with themed games (You guys are all pirates!  You guys are all smugglers!  You guys are all paranormal investigators who are secretly also paranormal!) getting players invested in the theme early will really aid in the success and longevity of a game.

RECOMMENDATION #1:  Give them a list of choices (e.g. Colors, Music, Alchemy, Metals, Birds, Other). Set up a poll.  Let them vote and choose, then let that be the reigning theme.  Once decided, let them make characters.

RECOMMENDATION #2:  Give them a thread and let them argue it out until they come to a consensus.  Give them a deadline (like two weeks or whatever), offer guidance, veto bad ideas, and use your vote as the tie breaker if they come to an impasse.  Once decided, let them make characters.

RECOMMENDATION #3:  Before they make characters, let those who are interested pitch ideas.  Good ideas will get support.  More support hopefully will mean the best idea.   Once a theme is decided, let them make characters.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is already in a guide somewhere, but I didn't see it in the New Users Guide.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about advertising a BALDR game on the Old Mythweavers site is. Do I just make an empty game on that site and link everything to the BALDR game? or is there some other way you are supposed to do it?