Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Quick Questions & Answers

Colin

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a catchall for minor rules questions about any system that don't warrant a new thread.

Be sure to state the system and edition for which the question is intended, so you don't receive an unhelpful answer.

When answering a question, be sure to hit the "quote" button so there is a trail for someone looking for the same answer.

Before asking a question, be sure to do a search first to make sure that question has not previously been answered. At the time of this post, full text searches are off, but they may be turned on in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Avaday Daydream said:

3.5 D&D/PF1e:
Can you use a Disarm special attack/combat maneuver to attempt to break a grapple? As in breaking a foe’s grip on an ally, rather than on their weapon/shield?

Sounds like a house rule to me, but it's something I'd allow.  The disarm rules do allow for a disarm on an object that is not a melee weapon, as shown in the SRD (Disarm):

If the item you are attempting to disarm isn’t a melee weapon the defender may still oppose you with an attack roll, but takes a penalty and can’t attempt to disarm you in return if your attempt fails.

In the case of the grapple, I'd say that you can attempt the disarm, with the target needing to make the appropriate check to keep their hold, using any penalties as necessary.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility, and it is something you see happen on TV and in movies all the time.  I'm not sure if there is a canon rule for it other than the above, but it seems highly plausible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
D&D 3.5 + Pathfinder 1e, or other editions:
I’ve been thinking about ancient metallurgy and that got me onto reading about real-life alchemy, and now I’m wondering; is there a class or archetype with flavour like historical alchemists?
Purifying or augmenting metals and other materials, developing cures and panaceas and elixirs of longevity, achieving physical/spiritual perfection, and so forth?

The alchemist in Pathfinder can make cure extracts and their grand discoveries include eternal youth and the philosopher’s stone, but they don’t seem to be the main focus compared to bomb chucking and Jekyll & Hyde-ish mutagens.
I guess what I’m looking for is something like an intelligence-cleric (with the healing and enhancement focus) with transmutations on top, or possibly something loosely like a xianxia genre cultivator.

@Avaday Daydream tbh, any time I plan to take the crafting skill (nevermind making a craft specific character) i will always check with the DM to see if its worth dumping time and/or a mass load of skill points in. 

Especially in regards to alchemy stuff, alot of the can do's and don'ts are left up to the DM to house rule. (well for 3.5e anyway)

Fairy wings or manticore horns might be useful in one campaign but probably won't do the same in another, etc... 

Edited by Tsunami1768 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
D&D/Pathfinder (non version specific):
I know there’s a Statue spell which can turn creatures into living statues, but is there a spell to transform a creature into an intelligent magic item? Like a dragon turning into a suit of dragonhide plate, or a devil turning into a magic cape, or a water elemental turning into a freezing sword, or a satyr turning into an enchanted harp, or Megatron turning into a gun, or a cerberus turning into nunchucks, or so forth?
Edited by Avaday Daydream (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. If not, maybe I can get pointed in the right direction. My question concerns creating a game. One of the required fields is Game System. The game I want to set up is BASIC FANTASY RPG. It's not an option in the drop down menu. It won't let me auto fill it or let me leave it blank. It will only let me select one of the drop down options. Any way around this?

2 minutes ago, GaryD20 said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. If not, maybe I can get pointed in the right direction. My question concerns creating a game. One of the required fields is Game System. The game I want to set up is BASIC FANTASY RPG. It's not an option in the drop down menu. It won't let me auto fill it or let me leave it blank. It will only let me select one of the drop down options. Any way around this?

You can select "Miscellaneous" from that list. Then, you can request that "Basic Fantasy RPG" be added to the list on this request thread. If it does get added, you can always change the Game System of your game forum later.

• 3 months later...

3.5 D&D/PF1e:
1. Is there an upgraded version of the Alarm spell that can detect ethereal creatures, or, does Transdimensional Spell/Ectoplasmic Spell allow Alarm to detect ethereal creatures?
2. Aside from Alarm, what magic can be used to wake up a sleeping creature, whether magical or mundane sleep? That is, if you were sleeping but had a Contingency spell to wake you if X event happened, what spell would you use as the contingency?
3. If you were a ninja, how would you sneak up on a sleeping mage who has a) a Transdimensional Alarm spell set up around their bed, and b) a 'wake up' spell contingency'd to trigger if the Alarm is dispelled?