Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Welcome, Weavers!

Harpo

• Site Ambassadors

Thanks for joining us on our latest adventure, MW 6.0 - Baldr Edition! I and my pal, @Lockerby, are super-excited to have you in the party. Feel free to start your own thread to say hi to the community, and don't forget to mention @Colin from time to time!

44 minutes ago, Miss said:

I must admit- I'm (regrettably!) not really a fan of things so far. I'm guessing this is going to be a forced-change when it happens, isn't it?

Same.

My biggest issue is the fact that I feel like we was basically lied to in the BALDR preview thread. It was brought up, again and again and again, that it felt like everything we were being told was alluding to the fact that the new site was being turned into a Mobile Oriented site, to the exclusion of, and at the expense of, those of us who prefer to be on MW at our PC's.  Our concerns were shouted down by the admins (sometimes in fairly obnoxious ways), outright ignored, or we were given 'pat on the head' reassurances that the aim was for "Mobile Friendly-ness".

Considering the fact that I'm, right this minute, looking at the site on my phone, my tablet, and my PC, and it looks exactly the same...that's not just "mobile friendly".

I get that making the site more mobile friendly makes sense.  The regular site is pretty annoying to navigate on one's phone.  What I DONT get is why I have to put up with that exact same interface on my PC. It's inefficient, annoying, and totally unnecessary.  I dont run my laptop in portrait mode, yet the interface is clearly intended to be optimized for that view.  The menu button in the upper right corner that's handy to tap on with my finger, on my phone's small footprint, is obnoxiously annoying to use with a full monitor/mouse.  The dropdown that springs from said menu is, ironically easier to navigate with a mouse, and difficult/annoying to navigate with my finger, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still irritating, and overly fussy compared to the simple dropdowns of the regular site..

Navigating the site has proved difficult and not even the tiniest bit intuitive (as opposed to the old site, which is simple, fast, and, yes, highly intuitive).  I'm a qualified IT guy, with multiple certifications, and decades of computer experience. Yet I've spent the last several hours struggling to navigate this site.  I could understand if I had trouble for a little while, then eventually worked out the kinks with experience, but the fact that I'm still having issues does not fill me with confidence.

I haven't found the site painful to navigate, but it is kind of hard to read at times. Which could be an issue at times.
I think the biggest issue is the scale of it, where it feels like everything on the PC site is bloated.
It just all seems larger than it needs to be, and where I could read several posts fairly quickly before, that's not really an option any more.

The navigation and structure of the game forums is very obtuse, where the old sight had a simple folder structure on the left side, this one took me even a while to figure out and even then, it is overly complicated.

I could live with it as I have been a web developer for many years but for a low tech-savvy new person that is on here for the first time. They will simply click away and go somewhere else when they can't find what they are looking for quickly.

It is just how the web works now. New user attention span is very low. I don't see a lot of growth potential under the current interface.

But that is why we are here... in beta .... to give them feedback.

15 hours ago, bwatford said:

The navigation and structure of the game forums is very obtuse, where the old sight had a simple folder structure on the left side, this one took me even a while to figure out and even then, it is overly complicated.

I could live with it as I have been a web developer for many years but for a low tech-savvy new person that is on here for the first time. They will simply click away and go somewhere else when they can't find what they are looking for quickly.

It is just how the web works now. New user attention span is very low. I don't see a lot of growth potential under the current interface.

But that is why we are here... in beta .... to give them feedback.

Yep yep! Beta testing, bay-bee! Woot! Love it!

On 5/1/2022 at 9:27 AM, Colin said:

@Miss@Arklytte@bwatford@DarkisNotEvil

I addressed a lot of the why and reasons here, in the Path to Baldr Release thread.

Thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that post, so I appreciate it.

Also, credit where it's due. Over the last couple of days, it looks like some of my concerns were addressed (and yes, I'm self aware enough to know it wasn't my concerns, in particular, but since many others seemed to have similar concerns, it's nice to see them being addressed :)). The option to change to a more 'standard' forum view is very welcome, and the landing page layout is definitely a bit easier to navigate.

That said, the Games layout still leaves much to be desired (not trying to be snarky, trying to offer constructive criticism).  No matter what layout I choose, it still seems to 'bunch up', whether it be on PC, or Mobile.  It's definitely a challenge to navigate, but I'm not sure what would make it better. Perhaps a more 'folder/old school forum' interface?

Either way, it will definitely require more poking and prodding on our part, as well as work on y'all's.  Thank you for being responsive and receptive, rather than simply dismissing genuine concerns. Makes for much better outcomes all round.  All of us are here because we love this site and this community, which makes us passionate. That can certainly be a good thing, but sometimes it brings out folks' inner curmudgeon, especially when change happens.

I look forward to seeing how things continue to change and grow, warts, bumps, and all.  🙂

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Arklytte said:

That said, the Games layout still leaves much to be desired (not trying to be snarky, trying to offer constructive criticism).  No matter what layout I choose, it still seems to 'bunch up', whether it be on PC, or Mobile.

Don’t worry, the Games layout (and the eventual creation of a proper advertisements system) is on the radar! 🙂 

• 1 month later...