How do I…?

Colin

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a thousand times, but I have not found the response yet:

Is there a mechanism to migrate a game, threads, posts and all, from OGMW to Baldr?

I read the Migration Guide (Original MW to Baldr), but from what I can tell, this would only apply if I rebuilt the game in Baldr from scratch and copy/pasted every post into every thread...

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Sorithar said:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a thousand times, but I have not found the response yet:

Is there a mechanism to migrate a game, threads, posts and all, from OGMW to Baldr?

I read the Migration Guide (Original MW to Baldr), but from what I can tell, this would only apply if I rebuilt the game in Baldr from scratch and copy/pasted every post into every thread...

Thank you!

No, there isn't. While it's probably within the realm of possible to create a mapping for the game metadata that would translate OGMW to Baldr, there is not an effective way to do the same for posts, which is the bulk of the data that would be useful to bring over. There are two key technical issues:

1. The original source BBcode is significantly non-standard (table tags, I'm looking at you most of all) and can't be translated by the IPS converter engine.
  2. The HTML output produced by OGMW's BBcode parser is itself non-standard and won't pass through the Baldr HTML sanitization.

It is on our roadmap to provide an accessible copy of all OGMW content in a useful format before we contemplate turning off the existing servers. Exactly what form that takes is still under consideration, but I wouldn't bet all my marbles (or even a significant fraction) on being able to have all your content auto-magically ported into Baldr.

@Sorithar best practice would be to find a break point (chapter, etc.) to move the game over to Baldr.  The old game thread on OGMW will always be available in some format going forward, even when OGMW is put to rest which will be at least a year or so after the full switch over from what I understand.

That way you have a clean break to move the game, of course your players will need to rebuild character folders and the like here. I would keep what you copy/paste here to a minimum of what is needed to continue play and just link to the old content on OGMW where needed.

@Eric and @bwatford, thank you, that makes perfect sense. The trouble is less with the IC game threads (and even with the OOC thread) and more with all the accoutrements. Maps, Loot threads, NPC Info threads, Monster Info threads, Houserule threads, Character Creation etc...

I guess they'll all have to be laboriously copied... It's all good, I get it, just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing some obvious shortcut that I would kick myself over later! Lol 

Edited by Sorithar (see edit history)

@Sorithar One thing to look at is Pages within a game forum. Those are more like a wiki long page (and work great for transcribing over items like house rules and such), and can have a Table of Contents made for navigation within the page.

That said, if there’s a thread that isn’t going to be getting use as anything but a reference once you do move things over, you don’t need to copy everything over from such a thread. Everything on OGMW will be preserved in some readable form and will always be user-accessible.

20 hours ago, bwatford said:

@Sorithar best practice would be to find a break point (chapter, etc.) to move the game over to Baldr.  The old game thread on OGMW will always be available in some format going forward, even when OGMW is put to rest which will be at least a year or so after the full switch over from what I understand.

That way you have a clean break to move the game, of course your players will need to rebuild character folders and the like here. I would keep what you copy/paste here to a minimum of what is needed to continue play and just link to the old content on OGMW where needed.

Something like a PDF of an individual thread that we could then attach to an OGMW archive post in our migrated games.  Obviously individual GMs could set up something that suited them in their own games.  But I would imagine exporting threads to PDF would, I imagine, probably be a fairly simple solution.  We wouldn't be able to edit it, of course, but we could copypasta individual posts if we wanted.

Its a thought, anyway. 🤷‍♀️

11 hours ago, Arklytte said:

Something like a PDF of an individual thread that we could then attach to an OGMW archive post in our migrated games.  Obviously individual GMs could set up something that suited them in their own games.  But I would imagine exporting threads to PDF would, I imagine, probably be a fairly simple solution.  We wouldn't be able to edit it, of course, but we could copypasta individual posts if we wanted.

Its a thought, anyway. 🤷‍♀️

That is one of the potentials, yep! Right now there’s just a short list of possible options though. We aren’t tackling that chaos until after Baldr’s initial launch, because the transition from OGMW is not going to be a rapid fire thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

@A Murder of Crows Yes to both.

1) For multiple sets of dice, you can use the repeat() function in Table or CLI mode, e.g., repeat(3d6,6). In GUI mode, same idea:

image.png.3b643b73d565c39a6dca99943ec9fe4a.png

2) For different rolls with the same label, separate the rolls in Table/CLI modes with a semicolon, e.g., 1d20+4;1d8-2. In GUI mode, use the Add a Roll... button to add the second roll to your set:

image.png.63dae3da116f2c3149588d2e9a95bfa3.png

Check out the Dice Tower article for more details on the capabilities.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I'm missing it, but does Baldr have something equivalent to OGMW's UserCP?  That is, can I follow (or join) a game and then go to a single page where I can see all of my games (followed and joined alike) and whether or not there's an unread post in each of them?

23 minutes ago, Llyarden said:

I don't know if I'm missing it, but does Baldr have something equivalent to OGMW's UserCP?  That is, can I follow (or join) a game and then go to a single page where I can see all of my games (followed and joined alike) and whether or not there's an unread post in each of them?

Joined games will show up in the My Games section of the main page, the icon by them will be colored when there are new post and faded when there are not.

To follow a game, follow the instructions below and they will show up in the My Followed Games on the main page, the icon by them will be colored when there are new post and faded when there are not.

Baldr New User Guide - Articles - Myth-Weavers