How do I…?

Colin

Added to the Guide - B

If anyone is looking for how to roll Fate dice on the new dice roller, here are the steps:

1. Make a post, either a placeholder post just for your dice or the character/IC post. Note: dice can only be rolled in game forums.

2. Click "Roll Dice" on the far right of the post bit (it is the picture of the two dice with the "+" sign).

3. Give the roll a name if you want, and then in the "Dice String" box, type fate(modifier). So if you are rolling 4dFate+3, the string would be fate(3). The roller needs some sort of number as the modifier, so if you are rolling straight 4dFate plus nothing, the string is: fate(0).

4. Click "Roll" to add the dice to the post.

You can then edit your post as needed without messing with the roll(s). You can also add more rolls to the same post if you like. Right now there is no way to see what each of the four individual Fate dice rolled (you just see the final total), nor is there a way to roll more or less than 4 Fate dice at a time as a single roll. I am told, however, those are in the works.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, farothel said:

Is there a way to test the dice roller before you bring a game over?  I don't see anything in the User Guide about the dice roller and I don't see a dice roller here on the forum (I assume it's only in the games)?

Yes, it only works in games. Create a test game and play around all you like. That's what I did.

And, no, right now there is no documentation for the dice roller. That is in the works as well. For simple rolls, the format is the same as old Myth-Weavers: 1d20+7 will get you what you want. For fancier stuff (like multiple rolls, drop the lowest, etc.), you'll have to wait on someone who is more useful at that stuff than me. 😄

Added to Guide - B

How do I add "thread prefixes" or "tags" to my topics?

Baldr supports both "tags" (labels that go after topic titles) and "thread prefixes" (labels that go before topic titles).

tag_1.jpg.970119180b4de4f20872022b445bdd23.jpg

To add a tag or a prefix:

- "Start New Topic" (to create a new topic) or view the topic you want to add a tag or prefix to.

- In the top left of the post window, look for "Add Tag." Click that.

tag_2.jpg.1a7fe927fe33db6ed6221ed2662114ca.jpg

- In the box labeled "Tag" type the name of the tag or prefix you wish to create.

tag_3.jpg.a5bf329ad83dd6aabc88b2a460f9c661.jpg

- Then, if you wish it to be a tag (brown text bubble and placed at the end of the post title), click "Save."

tag_4.jpg.e29c07cde79c358334f0ead962df73bf.jpg

- If you wish it to be a thread prefix (blue text bubble and placed at the beginning of the post title), select the thread prefix that will appear in a drop-down just beneath the box you typed it in. Then another drop-down will appear that says "Item prefix" (note: this text is currently unreadable in the default and dark themes) and "None." Click on the down carrot after "None" to select your thread prefix and then save.

tag_5.jpg.7b8d65b7ec9f1711947c2c6826ca0583.jpg

tag_6.jpg.e435f26bd1b7bfe86edf41fca449cef3.jpgtag_7.jpg.793d426ef399e87666e06a0d00279fcc.jpg

To Delete a tag or a prefix:

- You can delete any tag by viewing the topic that is tagged and clicking the tiny "x" beside the tag.

tag_8.jpg.6ca4d4a6aee849be6a3e2b3cbb8b85f9.jpg

- You can delete any prefix by viewing the topic that is prefixed, clicking "Add Tag," and then clicking the tiny "x" beside the prefix, then "Save."

tag_9.jpg.b9877fc08a0da4a8dce1995175d643b3.jpg

When I go to advertisements and see a game I maybe want to join, the only option seems to be 'join game'.  I haven't clicked it as I was afraid that I would actually join.  If you click 'join game' on an open game, does that just moves you to that game's forum, or does it do more?

6 minutes ago, farothel said:

When I go to advertisements and see a game I maybe want to join, the only option seems to be 'join game'.  I haven't clicked it as I was afraid that I would actually join.  If you click 'join game' on an open game, does that just moves you to that game's forum, or does it do more?

Clicking Join Game will actually make you a member of the game.

If it is a "Public Game" you should be able to post, etc. without the need to join.

@Colin we probably really need "open game" to not have a join option, in fact all games should be DM/GM invite only like on the old site.  With the option to make it where anyone can post or members only.

When you click "Join game," you do join the game and it shows up on your side bar as one of your games. This is because the GM of that game set it to "open" which means "Everyone can see the game and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join."

Edit: beat me to it

For those who haven't tried to create a game yet, here are the current "privacy" options at game creation:

privacy.jpg.72ae3753cb8f1db50083ab909ca901d5.jpg

15 minutes ago, bwatford said:

we probably really need "open game" to not have a join option, in fact all games should be DM/GM invite only like on the old site.  With the option to make it where anyone can post or members only.

Yep, that’s part of what’s being tackled with the plug-in to allow GMs to change game status. Open is a status that is only really useful for setups like Adventurer’s League and Pathfinder Society. Advertising games should really be set to public, not open, and that’ll be something tackled with the advertisement system that’s pending.

How do you hide an OOC tagLike this one! once you've read it?

Otherwise it overlaps the text below it.

Unlike the old OOC tags, you click it to open it and it stays open.  Clicking it again just cycles through other OOC tagsAnd this other one! on the page, which is itself not a very intuitive design.

EDIT: Okay, it works fine here, just not on other threads.  That's even weirder.

EDIT 2: Ohh, okay, I realise what I did.  I misclicked and ended up with two OOC tags on the same line both open, and opening a new OOC tag doesn't close the original, so I was opening and closing the 'top' tag while the bottom one remained open.

Edited by Llyarden (see edit history)

On 5/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, farothel said:

Is there a way to test the dice roller before you bring a game over?  I don't see anything in the User Guide about the dice roller and I don't see a dice roller here on the forum (I assume it's only in the games)?

Come over to my game here.  I have a thread specifically for people to muck about and experiment with new code and whatnot.  Open invitation to all.

Ah, I completely missed that question, apologies @farothel! Yes, the Dice Tower is only visible in game forums.

Dice Tower documentation is in-progress, right now functionality is limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and Fate dice (see code block below for use of that). Expansion of the Dice Tower capabilities is coming rapidly as work is continued on it.

fate(mod)
example: fate(0) for no modifier

No. Currently all delete functionality is turned off. "Hide" (post or thread) is the only current option.

As I understand it, this is for moderation purposes, as, currently, hard deletes here are gone forever. I've been told a plugin is on the list to change that though.

Hey, first of all, just wanna say that the new site is freaking bonkers, i love it!

I'm trying to figure out how to roll for NWoD, but i cant, i tried the  10d10 but i cant see each dice on its own, so it does not work for that xD

Is there a way to do that yet? or should i just roll in the old site and see it there?